User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Do you think technology is making us dumber?

Battle Record
    12-8

Do you think technology is making us dumber?

I think about this a lot. For me, it's mostly smart phones that I think of. I can look at my phone to get the time, and as soon as I put it in my pocket I realize I still have no fucking clue what time it is. Sometimes I do this 2-3 times.

Also, I've realized how much smart phones allow you to not have to think for yourself. I've lost so much information because anytime I need to know it, I have Google at my fingertips.

These are just a couple examples but I'm curious what the rest of you think.

Battle Record
    14-18
    Awards OM HOF PC HOF

Re: Do you think technology is making us dumber?

It is. I actually read an article about this, we have to think less yet know more than someone from Plato's time period, thus we have more knowledge but less processing power, interesting.

AI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    64-17
    Awards Legendary Battle SAP Champion 1-2 Season Champion FL Champion LLL Champion Haiku Champion OM HOF Legendary Member LLL Season Champion PC HOF

play lots of call of duty...it makes up for it.
    The Last Level

Battle Record
    64-17
    Awards Legendary Battle SAP Champion 1-2 Season Champion FL Champion LLL Champion Haiku Champion OM HOF Legendary Member LLL Season Champion PC HOF

this kind of plays into the singularity idea, which suggests that eventually AI will become more intelligent than humans. Theres a ton of shit on TED and other sites, mostly featuring a guy named Ray Kurzweil, explaining what it is and what it could mean
    The Last Level

Battle Record
    14-18
    Awards OM HOF PC HOF

Oh it's happening, my biggest fear though is that we will let AI slowly take more control over everyday life, then we're fucked.

AI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kept on a short leash
    Battle Record
    0-500

It's already begun. Have you seen how idiotic and sheeplike today's youth are? For fucks sake, they wear hats and girly clothes that say "obey". The age of technology has ushered in the decline of humankind in general. Survival tactics will be replaced with subservience to technology... the day we allow machines self-sustenance is the day man becomes the beta species.

Banned
    Battle Record
    0-1

Man... I saw a guy in a hot pink sweat suit the other day... I double-took like wtf then I was like hmm... Well we can wear any color we like maybe so should they... So I gave him props. As well as the teen in Hawaiian pants with flowers on them crossing the street but you're right - clothing boundaries have changed!! @The Great Father

Battle Record
    0-2

in general...i want to say yes...

but you cant make general statements and call them truth, because theres always exceptions...
    technology has only added to my knowledge, because i can do shit with technology...i can take apart technology and put it back together...i can tell you how it works...i could likely create new technology if i got off my ass....

all depend son the person...if you WANT to become dumbed down, you can...

but if you enjoy learning, technology is only another thing to learn about and on....

Banned
    Battle Record
    4-7

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think about this a lot. For me, it's mostly smart phones that I think of. I can look at my phone to get the time, and as soon as I put it in my pocket I realize I still have no fucking clue what time it is. Sometimes I do this 2-3 times.

Also, I've realized how much smart phones allow you to not have to think for yourself. I've lost so much information because anytime I need to know it, I have Google at my fingertips.

These are just a couple examples but I'm curious what the rest of you think.

Absolutely agree.

Battle Record
    12-17

Just makin us lazy

Shit technology hittin plateaus tho

Battle Record
    2-2

yup, we rely on it so much. we are brain washed by technology and what technology displays.
    - W a r r i o r B l o o d -

Battle Record
    57-8
    Awards Karaoke Champion 50+ Wins SOTW

Quote Originally Posted by Toobs View Post
    in general...i want to say yes...

but you cant make general statements and call them truth, because theres always exceptions...
    technology has only added to my knowledge, because i can do shit with technology...i can take apart technology and put it back together...i can tell you how it works...i could likely create new technology if i got off my ass....

all depend son the person...if you WANT to become dumbed down, you can...

but if you enjoy learning, technology is only another thing to learn about and on....
    I agree.

If anything we should have more room for learning now as we don't have to remember peoples phone numbers or some other mudane crap like that. Which you could write notes down. but then you might lose that paper. Its easier to keep track of this one phone gadgit thing, which is a million pages of paper in one.

That said.. Im a note writer. and i lose them all the time...
    MoistPuss'
    Smoother than smooth

You know. You know. Cause when you know, you know. You Know.

The mind without a brain
    \i/

Battle Record
    14-18
    Awards OM HOF PC HOF

I think you're looking at it wrong, The act of remembering that phone number is making your memory stronger and more resourceful. And @Toobs I understand what you mean, but the other side of the coin is, I can pool my kindle out and read Aristotle's metaphysics but Aristotle himself, sat and thought and wrote it down where as I don't have to think of this for myself. Over the years, more resourceful and easily acquired knowledge, in a way it's sort of backwards evolution. I mean knowledge isn't the same as intellect in my book. In the current times an intellectually devoid person can be very knowledgeable, but someone with Plato's or Tesla's intellect wouldn't have too much trouble becoming knowledgeable, if you feel me.

AI

Battle Record
    14-18
    Awards OM HOF PC HOF

It's sort of like public schools grading system, someone knowledgeable of the curriculum will tend to get higher grades than someone who is not, but that doesn't mean a kid with an F is less intellectual than a kid with an A.

AI

Battle Record
    0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Iscariot View Post
    I think you're looking at it wrong, The act of remembering that phone number is making your memory stronger and more resourceful. And @Toobs I understand what you mean, but the other side of the coin is, I can pool my kindle out and read Aristotle's metaphysics but Aristotle himself, sat and thought and wrote it down where as I don't have to think of this for myself. Over the years, more resourceful and easily acquired knowledge, in a way it's sort of backwards evolution. I mean knowledge isn't the same as intellect in my book. In the current times an intellectually devoid person can be very knowledgeable, but someone with Plato's or Tesla's intellect wouldn't have too much trouble becoming knowledgeable, if you feel me.
    the world isn't without its innovating thinkers...they're still here...and they now have tools at their fingertips to make their thinking even that much more powerful....
    for the average idiot, technology dumbs them down even more...but lets face it, they were still an idiot without it...
    for someone who realizes what it is that they hold in their hands? it can be a tool of use beyond anything ever seen up until the 80s...