Hey there!

It looks like you're enjoying Rap Battles Forum but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Clipping in FL Studio, but nowhere else.

Clipping in FL Studio, but nowhere else.

when i make a beat in fl, and the bastard clips on the meters in the mixer, i call it day right. i load it into nuendo, or compare it to other shit and it's WAY lower in comparison to anything i play. so i crank it up in FL and even though it's clipping off the meter, it doesn't sound distorted at all. i don't get it...

do i just ignore th emeters and go off of my ears alone? or is there a way to fix this?
    Last edited by Reason.; July 12th, 2008 at 10:47 PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(You should all check this out)

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Re: Clipping in FL Studio, but nowhere else.

I'm pretty sure that it'll stop doing that if you use 32-bit float for the bit depth. The reason shit gets louder in Nuendo without clipping the master is because the master track uses 32-bit float which shifts the dynamic range higher to avoid clipping.

cool, thanks man.

EDIT:

to save thread speace...

where do i change that at? i can't find anything to change to 32 bit float. the asio audio options only let me change the sample rate and Interpolation (?)

i'm lost man..
    Last edited by Reason.; July 13th, 2008 at 02:27 AM

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

lol wait till opey comes back on, or kris kain, just look up tuturials in the mean time or something.

Battle Record
    5-3

you cant change to bit rate in FLStudio. You can only change it on export. It's edison sampler records in 32 bit. But I am not 100% on what the actual projects run in.

FLStudio is a app I have always found to be significantly "lower" sounding than all other daws. I think it has alot to do with the panning law algorithim they use. It has always been a nuisance to me, cuz it sounds like it has some sort of added compression filter to it.

I think one way you can see an immediate improvement in your sound from FL is to turn off the circular panning law they have set as default. YOu can change that in the project settings.

Thats not going to fix your "clipping" problem... its gonna release that "compressed" sound tho.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

I just looked it up. I as wrong. FL Studio's mix engine uses 32-bit float already and can't be changed.

If you render the file and play back in another program is the audio quieter than if you render it in Nuendo? It really shouldn't be because the bit depth dictates the dynamic range. I'm thinking FL Studio just has quieter playback volume which means that you just need to turn up your monitors while using it.

all i know about the situation is that i made a beat in fl..saved it..opened it nuendo..set the volumes for the vocals, didn't mess with the beat cuz i assumed it was cool. i was done for th enioght, so i rolled a blunt, sat back, and opened windows media player..playde an MSI track, and didn't touch the volume knob on my FireStudio at all, and the song was blasting...at least 7 or so dB louder then my mix.

i'm reworking the beat in fl now, and i can see that the individual tracks aren't clipping at all, it's just the Master track... how does that happen? if none of my individual audio files are anywhere near clipping, how does my master track clip?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

yea... turn your monitors up when you're working in FL Studio. Then import your FL Studio tracks into Nuendo separately so you can mix properly. It does no good to mixdown a beat then put lyrics over it. you have to mix everything together.

Ideally, you want to rewire FL into Nuendo.

Battle Record
    5-3

it's not just "quieter" Opey... it's weird man...

it's a compressed type sound that FL puts out... It smooshes the levels of the audio, even if they are clipping, and everything is turned up to 100%.

i can post up audio examples of mixes i did exclusively in FL, and mixes i did exclusively in nuendo.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

I thought changing the panning law kills that tho. Is it compressing the audio even if it doesn't clip? if so that blows.

Battle Record
    5-3

yea changing the pan law fixes it
    it's still a weird ass effect that im not sure alot of people realize.
    Welcome to reality.