Getting your first set of DJ turntables can be a hard process. This is due to the fact that

you can't DJ and therefore can't evaluate turntables for your needs and budget. Turntables are one of the most important pieces of DJ equipment.

For a long time (20 years) Technics Turntables have been the safe (but expensive) option. I got a set of Technics turntables when I started and I have never regretted the buy.

However over the last few years there have been a number of quality turntables released from Numark, Vestax and Gemini that not only rival but excede the performance and features of the Technics SL 1200/1210.

This page is for those new to DJing who want some good tips for selecting turntables. I'll take you through what I think are the best turntables on the market for DJing.

Bear in mind that I don't scratch so if you want a guide to what decks are good for scratching you are out of luck my friend.

Let's start with the important features on a turntable:

1. Drive mechanism:

There are two different types of turntables. Expensive direct drive and cheap belt drive. Direct drive is far superior and I won't consider any belt drives here.

2. Torque:

This is the strength of the drive on the platter. More torque is better, it makes your start ups faster and lets you make precise changes in the mix. Manufacturers claim torque figures but do you know what 1.5 Kg/m feels like? Technics turntables have plenty of torque for mixing and the Vestax PDX 2000s have even more. Once you get certain level of torque the limiting factor becomes you skill at mixing.

3. Pitch adjustment:

All the turntables below allow you to adjust the tempo of tracks by adjust the speed of the platter. Some allow you to adjust it more than others. The + or - 8% that Technics turntables have is plenty.

4. Tone arm:

Straight tone arms are apparently better for scratching since the needles will jump less. Jumping needles is a real pain in the ass when your in the mix so I am all for things that reduce it. However, my Technics turnmtables have an "S" shaped arm and they never jump when I have needles in good condition on them.

Now let's look at the different DJ turtables that are currently available

Technics SL 1200/1210 MK2/MK3 Turntable (approx. $399)

You can get Technics SL 1200 (silver) or SL 1210 (black) varieties. There are also MK3 versions that have a few minor changes. I totally recommend Technics turntables as they have a proven reliability record. They have plenty of torque and accurate pitch adjustment. They are standard DJ equipment in clubs and thus if you practice with these you will have no trouble playing out.

Vestax PDX-2000 Turntable (approx. $450)

This is a serious piece of DJ equipment. I have used one and the torque is great. It can also reverse the platter and has greater pitch adjustment than the Technics. the stop times can also be adjusted for extra fun. Owning these would certianly make mixing more entertaining. If you have the money then I would totally recommend getting these. The only problem is that if you get used to this luxury turntable when you have to use something else you will miss all your features and torque.

Numark TTX1 Direct-Drive Turntable (approx $220)

I have not used this turntable. I have heard from people I trust that they are good responsive decks. They are definately expensive enough to be good. They apparently have really high torque and thus would be precise. I have included them here to make this list complete. Numark have also recently released the TTX2s which have a few new features.

Gemini SV-2200C High Torque Direct Drive Turntable (approx.$299)

This is a reduced cost turntable that is nearly as good as the Technics. It has enough torque and all the new features at a reduced cost. These would be fine for learning and even playing out at parties. Another positive thing is when you use something better your mixing can only improve. Gemini also make other similar models (in price and features) but I have not used them all.

Numark TT200 Direct Drive Turntable (approx. $200)

This is a beginners turntable. It is fine for learing in your bedroom. I have had a quick go on this and the Gemini XL-500II (below) and found them totally sweet. There was a slight lack of torque which made me start tracks behind the beat and push too hard when making adjustments. However, after a while I got used to them and could do some good beat mixes. It was a little hard to be precise with them. One good thing is that if you learn with these moving onto better gear will be a dream.

Gemini XL-500II Direct Drive Turntable (approx. $199)

This is another beginners turntable as reflected in the price. Again all this deck lacks is torque.