Vocabulary is a big thing when rhyming.. I've heard some emcee's call more complex MC's with big words in their rhymes "dictionary rappers" and shyt.. well thats basically because they don't understand what the words meant.. Rule number 1 of using less used, more complex words in your keystyles... NEVER use a word out of context, to avoid that, NEVER use a word you don't understand the meaning of.. adding in a huge word somewhere where it doesn't make any sense makes you look more of a fool than if it was a basic line..

Using a thesarus:

When many cat's are told 2 use a thesarus when rhyming they never try it because they aren't sure how to actually use it.. well here's how its done if you were to come up with a basic line:

"I spit fire that'll leave you dead really quick"

okay thats a real basic line... i look it over and see that the word "spit" is very basic and un original... sooo i grab my thesarus and look it up.. here's a list of words i found under the word "spit":

*spatter
*spew
*spittle
*sprinkle
*spue
*drool

So there's my list to chose from, i don't see the other 1's working 2 well so im'a use "drool"..

"I drool fire that'll leave you dead really quick"

next word, "fire" and i think that's pretty basic so ill look it up too:

*flame
*kindle
*discharge
*fuel

there was more words but i think those 4 would be the top choices for myself.. hmmm now its decision making time for which word i think fits best into the context of the line..lets go with:

"I drool discharges that'll leave you dead really quick"

reviewing the line once again.. hmm "dead?" pretty basic, non descriptive word.. lets see what our options are:

*pulseless
*assassinated
*at rest
*breathless

wow tha list goes on forever actually.. i've already found 1 i liked though..

"I drool discharges that'll leave you pulseless really quick"

line is looking way better so far... "really quick" isn't hittin it wit me though, without even using a thesarus i know i can use "instantly" for the same meaning.. so after a few minor adjustments with the vocabulary we've changed a line completely, look:

#1 "I spit fire that'll leave you dead really quick"
#2 "I drool discharges that'll leave you pulseless instantly"

you be the judge.. which do you prefer? acourse #2.. Upping your vocabulary isn't the same as looking at a thesarus over every line you write.. within a short amount of time you'll start learning some of the words from the thesarus and their will be no need 2 look words up.. This isn't a hard process 2 do, if you don't have access to a thesarus at home you can search for 1 on tha net.. Or if your like me, you can still 1 from your school with ease.. This is only a single step towards more complex rhyming but it is def a neccesity 2 getting there.. Once you pass this step its onto Similies, Wordplay an tha like...

written by StaticKaos