User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: nner Rhyming

You've Earned a Custom Title!

Inner Rhyming

INNERS? YOU MEAN LIKE CHITLENS?

No…

INNER – n. A separate set of rhymes between the end of line set…
    NOTE: Transitional rhymes not included

STYLE APPLICATIONS

The first note anyone should take before deciding to entwine the aspect of inner-rhyming into a style is that it doesn’t fit in a lot of people’s without at least a bit of alteration. The prime target of focus for inners is a stretched bar scheme, but this isn’t to say a condensed lined emcee can’t use it. This is said because condensed lines, while inners spice them up, aren’t essential to the flow of a piece. On the other hand, a longer string of words between the end of bar set needs something to keep it in motion. With that said, let’s move on to some examples; all this emcee jargon gets bland and confusing without a visual aid…

*Excerpt from “Human Nature” by yzeOne…

After a blatant peak, at an arc it descends… 1
    Stares vacantly at the darkness again… 2
    Wrestled apart, a tormented death from afar… 3
    A fathering moon mourns with the rest of the stars… 4
    Festering scars born from the lord of flies… 5
    Touches Cancer, Taurus and Capricorn alike… 6
    Cause it’s short of life when its bones are mortified… 7
    May it rest in peace with a headstone of northern lights… 8

As you can see, it isn’t just words that inner-rhyming deals with, even specific sounds at the beginning and end of words change the vibe you get from it. I naturally write them in without thinking, just cause it sounds good, and later I’ll realize what it partially rhymed with. That was a run-on sentence; I apologize. Also note that the TRANSITIONAL RHYMES aren’t bolded, because they aren’t inners by definition. Transitional rhymes are needed to avoid the culture shock of the next bar, and since they’re part of the original rhyme scheme, disqualifies it as an inner.

Just a tip on one way to use them that I like in particular… Take your end of line set and throw a rhyme off it in the middle of the line or beginning or whatever. That’ll establish the multi. Use the inner to elaborate on the end of line set, creating a sort of rhyme alteration… (As seen in lines 3-4 and 7-8)

So, assuming you have an IQ above 0, you now know what an inner set is.

FUNCTIONS
    ƒ(inners) = 4x²+2x-39

You use inners in a different manner for holding flow rather than accentuating it. If you want to keep your longer-barred verse flowing smoothly, I suggest at least a two-syllable inner out of every half-breath. Doing this is the Ritalin of emceeing, because without rhyme, your reader’s attention drifts to that horny housewives junkmail they got yesterday.

To accentuate you can just get creative with it. This doesn’t need to be in any sort of pattern really, just go line to line brushing up and/or replacing words with rhyming synonyms… as long as it still makes sense and sounds of good taste.

pzes… hope it helped…

written by Wizerd
    Last edited by Loggix; June 24th, 2003 at 11:21 PM