User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Ways to improve text. No more similes. Statements approved.

Battle Record
    32-6
    Awards Haymaker Maddnes Champion - Champed Haymaker Madness 4 1-2 Punch HW Champion - Award Request Accepted 25+ Wins GFX HOF - for helping out with site graphics SOTW - for helping out with site graphics LLL Season Champion - Champing An LL Season LLL Champion

Ways to improve text. No more similes. Statements approved.

I used to be an audio guy and used a lot of similes. They worked because audio needs a certain amount of simplicity to keep the listener interested. When I transitioned from audio to text I was advised to refrain from using similes because they dumbed your material down. There's alot of truth to that.

During the height of text, statements, cliches, and wordplay's were the most effective way to approach your opponent. Wordplay usage is still flourishing, but statements and cliches have since been frowned upon.

We need to change that. The current trajectory of text isn't promising. Our best hope is to revert to what history has proven to work.

Statements need to be acceptable. Smog is, imo, the best at using statements here. Originally I discredited his material based solely on the fact he used statementish bars. That mentality helped contribute to text's decline. I eventually became susceptible to them and actually enjoy them.

Cliches will always be played. That's what a cliche is. A redundant phrase. However, if flipped in a different manner than what has already been seen, we shouldn't outright dismiss them.
    Last edited by Wuxia; December 31st, 2017 at 08:22 PM

Battle Record
    5-0

Re: Ways to improve text. No more similes. Statements approved.

Text has evolved. You seem to be getting left behind in the times. Don’t let it happen

Battle Record
    32-6
    Awards Haymaker Maddnes Champion - Champed Haymaker Madness 4 1-2 Punch HW Champion - Award Request Accepted 25+ Wins GFX HOF - for helping out with site graphics SOTW - for helping out with site graphics LLL Season Champion - Champing An LL Season LLL Champion

I disagree. It has regressed. Similes in text only serve to undermine creativity.

Battle Record
    0-2
    Awards FL Champion

Text evolves over time. I was so shocked to see gun bars were poppin' upon my return lol

Battle Record
    32-6

Quote Originally Posted by Basic M View Post
    Text evolves over time. I was so shocked to see gun bars were poppin' upon my return lol
    Same here. Netcees had a site battle with RMBVA and ever since that event they have literally done nothing but gunbars. I like gunbars and how it breaks the monotony, but I'm also not fond of generics. But the Netcees that exists today was bit from RMBVA.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I say it has regressed because similes in text go back as far as the mid-90s. Then it shifted to personals, wordplays, nameflips, statements, and cliches. That period was arguably the pinnacle of text battling. Similes became more popular on the audio battle scene. Then statements and cliches began to fade while personals, wordplays, and nameflips remained prevalent. However, nowadays generics and gunbars have replaced personals while text has reverted back to a nearly 2 decade old trend of using similes. So not only is there less effort (personals take research and study) and a dumbing down of the creative writing process, a once thriving community has become a nearly defunct scene with less participation and activity.

Battle Record
    0-2
    Awards FL Champion

Quote Originally Posted by B Dot LESNAR View Post
    Same here. Netcees had a site battle with RMBVA and ever since that event they have literally done nothing but gunbars. I like gunbars and how it breaks the monotony, but I'm also not fond of generics. But the Netcees that exists today was bit from RMBVA.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I say it has regressed because similes in text go back as far as the mid-90s. Then it shifted to personals, wordplays, nameflips, statements, and cliches. That period was arguably the pinnacle of text battling. Similes became more popular on the audio battle scene. Then statements and cliches began to fade while personals, wordplays, and nameflips remained prevalent. However, nowadays generics and gunbars have replaced personals while text has reverted back to a nearly 2 decade old trend of using similes. So not only is there less effort (personals take research and study) and a dumbing down of the creative writing process, a once thriving community has become a nearly defunct scene with less participation and activity.
    It makes text a bit more fun imo. Its like nothings off limits. Voting is all based on preference. Now

Stranger

I have seen some dumb ass voters that think a punchline isn't a punchline without a similie.

Battle Record
    5-0

It makes text a bit more fun imo. Its like nothings off limits. Voting is all based on preference Now
    THIS 100

Battle Record
    57-8
    Awards Karaoke Champion 50+ Wins SOTW

how bout, nothing is original. but if you can flip a played concept in a fresh way. im gonna listen.
    MoistPuss'
    Smoother than smooth

You know. You know. Cause when you know, you know. You Know.

The mind without a brain
    \i/

Battle Record
    32-6

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron View Post
    how bout, nothing is original. but if you can flip a played concept in a fresh way. im gonna listen.
    Yeah, this would work. Btw, can I get that new avy?

Battle Record
    0-2

im not a texter...never have been and never will be...shit just bores the entire fuck out of me for the most part... but, nothing should be off limits in any art form...nothing should just automatically get you discredited, or make someone dismiss your work... someone could do one of these things you just said, and follow it with some of the dopest shit you've ever seen...
    should never be boundaries or guidelines set to an art...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Toobs View Post
    im not a texter...never have been and never will be....
    what does the 0-2 record come from then?

Battle Record
    0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    what does the 0-2 record come from then?
    just cuz ive participated doesnt mean i text...was out of boredom...

did one golden glove...

no showed for something else...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Codealt

Quote Originally Posted by Toobs View Post
    just cuz ive participated doesnt mean i text...was out of boredom...

did one golden glove...

no showed for something else...
    lol well you said you never been a textcee, you was at least one for 2 battles.

Battle Record
    0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Codealt View Post
    lol well you said you never been a textcee, you was at least one for 2 battles.
    you know that dude that disagrees with things just to have something to say that nobody likes?

why would you want to be that guy?