Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Poetry and Rap

Poetry and Rap

There is no such thing as fine poetry
    Poetry does not equate to fine wine
    While you may revel in the sweetness of antiquity
    Marveling at the brilliance of Shakespare, Neruda, and Keats
    That does not mean you'll taste bitterness in the back of your mouth
    When indulging oneself in the works of poets like Akala, Grieves, or Kid Cudi
    Also more widely known as "rappers"

How does one fail to see the beauty and the poetic essence found in their stunning elocution?
    Rap is nothing more than poetry over beat
    It is thoughts turned vocal following the rhythm of the heart
    Both working in cadence with one another
    Thus giving birth to art

Re: Poetry and Rap

Quotable:

Thus giving birth to art

Keep dropping around here. I felt this was pretty quickly put together. Hope to see something a bit deeper from you
    Best Rookie of Season 13 - Poet's Society

Battle Record
    1-3
    Awards PC HOF Haiku Season Champion

Ehhh.... I get what you're saying in this, but I don't agree.

Battle Record
    2-3
    Awards PC HOF PS Season champ

Agree to disagree, while I do believe rap to be a form of poetry I can also say most if not all rappers never reach the literary heights of a Shakespeare. And, poetry in its older form had rhythm, cadence, verse, etc. It could have been sung, and poetry has been sung before. So, I'd say that rap (or any other music genre) is doing anything extremely original within that regard. The main disagreement simply falls into the concept of fine poetry, you seem to be regarding the concept of growing finer with age. That much I can agree with, a bad poem probably won't get better with age. However, fine poetry is fine not because of age but rather the execution of its structure, style, and evocative powers.

As to this whole piece, it comes off as more a ranting philosophizing piece rather than poetry of images and feelings associated. The first line is good. Starting with such an authoritative and confident tone is always a recipe for good things. Last three lines worked well and felt more poetic in air than the rest of this. Decent work overall. Not entirely my cup of tea, but it's a thought provoking poem so I'll hand you that.
    “Those whom life does not cure death will. The world is quite ruthless in selecting between the dream and the reality, even where we will not. Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.”

Battle Record
    8-9
    Awards SS HW Champion PC HOF OM HOF

To the poem, I like because it is more introspective as seeing rap being an ode to classical poetry that was performed with lutes and drums. The statements give it weight and immediately tell us that do not look for flairs but listen to reason. Now as the argument between rap and poetry, yes variants make both of them relatable yet there are defining differences that say to the late that they are not the same. As rap is finite with its body, poetry is unincorporated. There are no one word raps but there are one word poems.... So it's more of taste as if you like the boundaries set or run like a banshee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Best Topical Writer: 143

Battle Record
    2-2
    Awards MOTM PC HOF

This to me comes off as more of a spoken word piece.
    Spoken word has virtually no rules and is intended to be spoken.
    Rap resembles it slightly but there's a whole culture behind rap
    and it's sounds are different in that rap mainly focuses on rhymes (not always though)
    and melodical flow and of course...is backed by a beat.
    Spoken word typically doesn't go hell bent on rhyme, it's just not as common.
    That changes the dynamic because the beat of the music in rap dictates the phrasing
    and you can go into a whole stack of techniques using metaphors and internals
    or methods that make the rap pop with multi rhymes and tricky word play.
    I do get what you're saying in this, in that spoken word poets, poets, and rappers
    all harvest a storytellers soul. They all share the same element making them artists.
    But, I doubt you can compare the brilliance of say... Shakespeare or some of the classic poets
    to many modern day rappers or spoken word poets. That's not to say that the modern day
    poets aren't good at what they do, but when you consider Shakespeare having been someone who
    made up phrases that are still used today in our modern language, that's some amazing longevity
    right there. I mean, he just had such depth to language and amazing poetic finesse.
    Anyway, that's a lil bit of my ten cents on that issue lol.

Ok, onto this....

There is no such thing as fine poetry
    Poetry does not equate to fine wine
    Even though I don't drink wine, even if it's fine, I do believe that 'fine poetry does equate to fine wine.'

That does not mean you'll taste bitterness in the back of your mouth
    When indulging oneself in the works of poets like Akala, Grieves, or Kid Cudi
    Also more widely known as "rappers"
    I agree, it doesn't mean that I'll taste bitterness when indulging in the works of the above mentioned poets.
    But maybe when I'm comparing them to the classics, they're work might not be quite as sweet.

How does one fail to see the beauty and the poetic essence found in their stunning elocution?
    I don't fail to see it. I do notice stunning wording.
    Everyone has their own style, and I'm not sure comparing is such a great thing.
    Everyone should be given the credit for their own individual art because the way they apply it differs so much.
    I do understand what you're saying though. I agree that it takes a good poet to write a heartfelt piece that has
    vulnerability and a pure nature on show. Beat or no beat. Spoken or sung.

Thus giving birth to art
    These are my favourite lines. Probably not so much the middle line (imo it sounds a tad harsh when compared to the
    softness of the other two lines), but the first and last, definitely.
    I think they carry a lovely poetic air about them and that for me, is a tool to transport the reader.

Nice job getting your point across here.
    I think this had a much more literal approach where the writing was concerned and I might have missed that 'flowing feeling'
    of reading poetry that takes me away. As I said, those last lines did that, but the rest sounded more like you were getting your
    msg across in almost a short story like fashion, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks for dropping.
    Looking forward to reading more from you : )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^ Da'esh lookin' muh fugga.

yea but the kid got skills.

Bye bye black bird Poeta Demonio's Avatar
    Battle Record
    18-1
    Awards OM HOF PS Champion/IE Champion PS HOF PS Season champ Legendary PC PC HOF

It's obviously you man. You wouldn't just be dropping a random link to folks at a Birmingham university holding a poetry social event would you? Unless, possibly it's your boy, but then... why are you doing the work for him man?! Either way, drop feed first and then post your link if you had a specific reference point to how he can improve. It's not just name drop thread.
    AI

“ˇViva la Revolución!”

lol.

but the link was in reference to OP already.

give me more instruction if you'd like to be ignored further, cthulhu guevara.

Bye bye black bird Poeta Demonio's Avatar
    Battle Record
    18-1
    Awards OM HOF PS Champion/IE Champion PS HOF PS Season champ Legendary PC PC HOF

Either way, you're a good writer, but it'd be received a lot better if you just made your own thread.
    AI

“ˇViva la Revolución!”

http://rapbattles.com/forum/showthre...es)&highlight=

it happened already. half of it, anyway.

good to great, i would note, depending on how receptive i am to the infinite wisdom of the universe.