- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rapbattles.com/showthread...thirtieth-year
    http://www.rapbattles.com/showthread...89931-Traveler

SirVent
    Battle Record
    13-2
    Awards PS Champion/IE Champion Haiku Champion OM HOF PC HOF SOTW

Re: Over the Sea

The imagery in this was great, you painted an extremely vivid picture without using over the top adjectives. You're a story teller and you follow the progression really well. It was easy to read, fluid and cohesive.

Listen,
    as the thunder
    meets the heart.
    Consumed by
    love or sharks

This was my favorite, kind of comparing love with sharks, the danger and not sure which would hurt more. Cool image and message. Overall I enjoyed it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

the theory of cause and effect is flawed,
    we expect the outcome to mirror the struggle, that's wrong.

Battle Record
    2-3
    Awards PC HOF PS Season champ

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath View Post
    Standing on the ledge
    of a cliff over the sea.
    Collecting rain
    with my clothes,
    caught in the breeze.

I am a fan of the single person looking out over the ocean from a cliff. It's solitary, solemn, this air of tremendous loneliness within the tone. Also a fan of the title, I kind of think Old Man and The Sea as Hemingway is a favorite of mine. This isn't similar in any way to that story but anyway! Tangents. lol. 'Collecting rain with my clothes' is a piece of beautiful imagery. I know I've harped and demanded some more imagery from you before. That's more like it. Sure, we can get carried way with some 'cheesy' and purple prose type language here and there. This is not that. I just picture a person lost in their thoughts. Perhaps so lost in their own sorrows they feel less than human. Unimportant. So unimportant their shirt is collecting the rain rather than they're a person getting wet. 'Caught in the breeze' is rather simple. I like the idea of it, the idea behind it. A man caught in the winds of life. Nothing to do but blow with the gust, yeah? I can't get into your head to read what you're thinking, I'm just looking at this from many views. Regardless, it's a concise opener with the right amount of imagery. We feel the tone right away. I can't ask for much more than that.

Imagine, the waves
    crashing against me.
    If I dive now.
    Would I die?
    Or would I join
    Poseidon's family?

Rather than telling us to imagine the waves, wouldn't it be nice if we had some eerie descriptions of these waves rolling upon the shore? How does our narrator see the waves? Are they beautiful? Are they frightening? Are they so grandiose that he feels small? Things to think about. Keep in mind, I'm not against the word choice you used. Commands can be quite effective in getting the reader to close their eyes and imagine the rolling tides crashing down upon this man. I enjoy questions in poems. However, if you're going to bring up Poseidon I would enjoy it if you wrote more on that. Personally, I don't enjoy references to figures of mythology unless it has somewhat of a foundational and legitimate reason for being there. I feel like the stanzas after this have 'some' bearing upon a Poseidon reference inclusion, but the thematic ties still feel too loose and not genuine. Again, this is my personal reading. Grain of salt as always. There's still a lot to be said about what you wrote there. It's a strong pondering upon the after life. Does he die when he jumps? Or does he simply become one with the ocean, a new being, perhaps life never ends. We jump from this body into the next.

Listen,
    as the thunder
    meets the heart.
    Consumed by
    love or sharks?

I'm listening to the roar of thunder as it clashes with the heart. A battle of anxiety... Is the heart consumed by love or 'sharks'... I wonder. Could the sharks be fear? Perhaps it's pain. The balance of love and pain is always seen in the daily life. The first stanza and this one are your two best from my view. You mostly nailed the tonal and visual pieces here and gave us some questions to think about as well.

I can feel it.
    My vessel tipping
    over the edge.
    Hypnotized by
    a pacific fallacy.

I like it. We're all on a boat sailing through the rough seas that shake and stir with life's unexpected problems. His vessel has taken too many hits from too many rough waves. It's tipping over, ready to break. Unable to break away from the ocean's sway.

Falling,
    as time halts
    like a dream.
    My last memory,
    over the sea.

So definitely a suicide vibe but that's over simplifying it. In the literal sense, yes, and also the metaphorical. Consumed by the crashing, unpredictable waters of life that surround us. It has become too much, too scary, too big, too overwhelming. Knocks him off balance, and makes him fall. Or gives him a bit of a shove, and somewhere he decides to take the final step and fall forward.
    Another solid outing, Goliath! I do believe you've shown some improvement in your poetry from what I've noticed. Thanks for writing and sharing. Your voice is very much valued.
    “Those whom life does not cure death will. The world is quite ruthless in selecting between the dream and the reality, even where we will not. Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.”

Battle Record
    2-2
    Awards MOTM PC HOF

There's a lot I like here, and some I don't.
    I don't like the imagine bit...only because...I don't know, I'd like you to make me imagine it with your words, descriptions, what not.

"Standing on the ledge
    of a cliff over the sea.
    Collecting rain
    with my clothes,
    caught in the breeze."

Thought that first stanza was really good. I enjoyed the unique thoughts that were laid down there. I enjoyed the realness of what you're saying here.

"...Imagine, the waves
    crashing against me.
    If I dive now.
    Would I die?
    Or would I join
    Poseidon's family?..."

For me, this was your weakest verse. The whole verse to me was just not on par with the rest of the work. Not sure if it was the predictable poseidon line, or if it was the 'imagine' or what it was. Just not up to your usual scratch I think.

"...Listen,
    as the thunder
    meets the heart.
    Consumed by
    love or sharks?"

But then you go and redeem yourself with this doozy. And what a pearler it is. That's great wording Goliath. Really beautiful way with words. You give us so much to think about and mull over, so much residue left to linger, because of these sweet words here.

"...I can feel it.
    My vessel tipping
    over the edge.
    Hypnotized by
    a pacific fallacy."
    Another lot of lines that take my fancy. The first line here is really interesting. 'My vessel is tipping' is such a good way to say something generic but in a totally organic way. Good stuff. I think this whole stanza is gold.

"...Falling,
    as time halts
    like a dream.
    My last memory,
    over the sea."

Great outro Goliath.
    You did it justice with this outro. You've left a lingering feeling. You've left a bit of yourself with us.
    I think it was totally romantic and well worded and you should know, I think you did a really good job with this one.
    Just that one stanza that wasn't as strong as the others imo. But...that's just my opinion.

Enjoyable Read.

Thank you.