'Our Father, who art in Heaven
    Hallowed be thy name
    Thy Kingdom come
    Thy will be done
    On Earth as it is in Heaven
    ...Give us this day.'

http://rapbattles.com/showthread.php?489931-Traveler
    http://rapbattles.com/showthread.php...thirtieth-year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Soule

Re: God's voice

I liked this. Short. Fast paced. Wording wasn't real creative but it was fluent and sometimes fluency is better than creativity. A cliche topic with a personal touch to it. In today's arts it's hard to find a topic that hasn't been done one way or another. I particularly liked the lines "today... is a good day to die." A strong and beautiful quote from many classic films and it settled well where you placed it here. Overall an enjoyable poem.

this piece reads to me as one that was sitting on the writers chest and needed to be let loose if not just for the therapeutic value to the writer themselves, more so than the readers entertainment. i honestly can't say i know what this piece was about. i could guess maybe it could represent an attempted suicide and at the light changing your mind and praying for a second chance. possibly a literal divine intervention. or it could be neither and i'm entirely wrong. there wasn't enough detail for me to really build my own definitive conclusion with this one. but again, maybe this one wasn't for us but just for you.
    po'ethics /
    abstanticollective.

Battle Record
    2-3
    Awards PC HOF PS Season champ

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    I heard a voice breathe words serene
    a stream --- whispered to me

The stream of consciousness. What a concise and sweet way to open up on that thought. Perhaps our consciousness is an entirely different personality of ourselves, another voice of ours breathing with the words we do not know we want to speak yet. Also, whenever the word 'whispered' is used wins points with me. It has such a soft and sweet connotation to it, yet it can also be incredibly unsettling as proven by...

"Today...is a beautiful day to die."

THIS STATEMENT. I can hear the sudden whisper filtering into the mind, a sweet nothing loaded with the promise of nothingness.

Bewildered, I stood in amazement
    Such a beautiful fragrant statement;
    Though not composed in my mind
    Bringing shivers to my spine

Not composed in the mind. I wondered if it were a person caught in thoughts of suicide, but this lends more to a 'supernatural' and religious element. Though, the very concept of suicide is irrational... So, using the word 'fragrant' adds a somewhat jarring aspect to this. A statement that has a sweet smell to it. I do believe this might be my favorite stanza apart from the opening two lines. Those two middle lines made the stanza. They were the backbone holding up this unnatural call. Divine words perhaps, or the irrational unconscious of a troubled life seeking an end to pain.

"Today..." he repeated..."is a beautiful day to die"

I like the pauses, and continuing to read this in a whisper has such a strange effect on the reader.

I froze in shock. Sheer disbelief
    Heaven took time to talk to me
    while sinners wept and wiped a tear
    death, near filling fear

tear death, near filling fear. Idk if these are just jumbled up and could use some word changes or if you did this on purpose. I'm fond of unusual strings of words so I'll be spending a bit deciphering this to myself. Could be indecipherable. Much like the incomprehensible concept of God and his voice.

I heard a voice speak words so clear
    three times in my ear

Love that rule of three. I know six is a devil's number but three can be as well. A mock to the holy trinity, so it could be the devil speaking within the mind. Also, the holy trinity; if we're keeping up with the heavenly imagery and words, it could truly be God, or an angel. Probably God. Cus', well, the title of the piece.

"Today.....is a beautiful day to die"

Still effective, and good to stop there before it becomes too repeated.

In dismay, I start to pray...

I see a religious person in utter fear of the unnatural, divine words in her head. Praying to God to discover the answers, the meaning, even though it was his words.

'Our Father, who art in Heaven
    Hallowed be thy name
    Thy Kingdom come
    Thy will be done
    On Earth as it is in Heaven
    ...Give us this day.'

Whenever a piece of something else is grabbed and inserted into a piece, I really hope the writer writing it has plenty of their own words to include. Because this piece is short and brisk... I wish there was more from your own words. You know? This left a taste of longing with me. I desired to hear more. Not that this wasn't fitting because it is. The prayer gives a sort of vibe to this, I don't know whether to feel serene or unsettled. Despite the serene voice in the narrator's mind, the words themselves are still eery. Also, I love that you ended on 'Give us this day'. Almost as though she is speaking directly to God asking for another day to live. Or maybe to give her this day of beautiful death. It's puzzling, enigmatic, and very much you. There's always a sense of an unseen layer of deep feeling under the surface of your works, Em. I tend to enjoy reading what your mind puts out. If it hasn't been said yet, consider me a fan. Though, to still be constructive. I felt a word here or there screwed with some flow. The 'I froze in shock' stanza in particular. Some of the words felt a bit jumbled, and lacking a certain cohesion that made it confusing for the message you were putting out. I'm gonna' have to look at it some more because it almost feels like a crazy author move 'tear death, near filling fear' where you put all these words that aren't usually right next to each other.
    The words are weighted with meanings and designs beyond comprehension of the common man. God's voice is not decipherable, and it's incomprehensible. You've got me doing some late night thinking again. Damnit, Em! I've got a long day tomorrow! lol
    “Those whom life does not cure death will. The world is quite ruthless in selecting between the dream and the reality, even where we will not. Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.”

Nice writing, Emily. I really like your take - the little twist/spin you add - on the Lord's Prayer line. Your utilization of assonance, alliteration, and rhyme made your writing enjoyable and flow really well. Interesting choice of topic. Whilst some may find it cliche (Dagel), I can personally relate to the message. During my recent absence, the Lord's Prayer is something I came into contact with extremely often which is something I am not accustomed to whatsoever. The overall tone of the message is one of doom and gloom with a narrator-character overwhelmed with and adjusting to a forewarning of supposed supernatural origin.

I can't help but wonder if the forewarning truly is supernatural. It definitely depends on one's spiritual beliefs, but with what I have come to believe, I can't help but to think that this supposed supernatural cryptic message is simply one buried in the subconscious. A message lying dormant in all of our psyches awaiting the appropriate time to transmit itself to the conscious mind to alert the body that it is time for an imminent natural death. Or perhaps it's a testament to my belief in the concept of oneness where I believe all of our souls are connected to each other and everything within the universe, and that this character's soul has finally ascended (or perhaps transcended?) to the appropriate resonate frequency to receive this cryptic message from the universe/God. There is more than meets the eye with this piece, Em, and I am not sure if you intended to evoke such responses or not, but I find it awesome that you did. I feel some may only give this a once-over and only scrape the surface of the message when to truly appreciate the underlying meanings one must read this a few times (at least) and really dwell on it for several seconds (or more). Thank you!