User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Scarlet Letter or a Badge of Honor?

Scarlet Letter or a Badge of Honor?

Embarrassed evil
    loathes laughingstock legacy;
    harbors horror's hopes.

Borderline personality
    where boredom lies
    in a borderlying city.
    Boarded shrines
    formerly immortalized
    dethroned of ordered sitting.

Through clinched teeth,
    misguided miscreants
    expect minced meat
    from a master of disguise
    selling lies in the street
    indiscriminately.

Promiscuous pretenders
    pledge patently
    plagued promises.

Hellions hone their addicts
    to establish habitats
    of dishonorable mathematics
    destined for disaster -
    akin to the blind
    driving plastered.

Ravenous writers
    rapidly roam
    reconstructing rare
    ruptured raptures,
    savagely sulked
    in the stutter of the chatter.

A muster of the matter
    prevent words read
    from another chapter.

Extremities shackle bound -
    entropy entrapped
    in the vastest town
    disrupts the act of sound
    as the eye of Horus
    finally has its glasses found.

"SO. WHAT. ARE. WE. AFTER?"
    A loaded son of a . . .
    jumped the gun with his way,
    loving the hate, and fucking the faith
    produced by a sundry old Sage
    in the news with his Sunday stoned gaze.

Swashbuckler brandished
    his eternal legacy
    with eloquent stride.

Feedback Links:
    - http://rapbattles.com/showthread.php...=1#post8753471
    - http://rapbattles.com/showthread.php...=1#post8753640
    Last edited by whoami; October 14th, 2015 at 03:30 AM

Battle Record
    2-2
    Awards MOTM PC HOF

Re: Scarlet Letter or a Badge of Honor?

Scarlet Letter or a Badge of Honor? Black or White?

Embarrassed evil I've never thought of that before. Embarrassed evil, that's good.
    loathes laughingstock legacy; Nice alliteration.
    harbors horror's hopes. See above.

Borderline personality Hmm,just got more interesting
    where boredom lies cool concept.
    in a borderlying city. I'm seeing Donald Trump's Great Wall lol. Sorry, no idea why.
    Boarded shrines shrines takes it up, I like it
    formerly immortalized carries a creepy undercurrent. A dark vibe.
    dethroned of ordered sitting.How friggen interesting. dethroning is compelling.

Through clinched teeth,
    misguided miscreants
    expect minced meat
    indiscriminately. You're a wonderful story teller. You put pictures in.

Promiscuous pretenders I'm hearing Mission Impossible music lol
    pledge patently
    plagued promises. The alliteration in this is divine. I love the sounds.

to establish habitats
    destined for disaster -communities of doom
    akin to the blind
    driving plastered. Top metaphor.

Ravenous writers famished family
    rapidly roam
    reconstructing rare
    ruptured raptures, man, that's good. I like all of that.
    savagely sulked savage is a great word, and to put it next to sulk, was very clever.
    in the stutter of the chatter. packing the atmosphere

A muster of the matter
    prevent words read
    from another chapter. [B independence[/B]

entropy entrapped
    in the vastest town
    as the eye of Horus
    finally has its glasses found. Emotional, intellectual wording.

A loaded son of a . . .
    loving the hate, and fucking the faith top line.
    in the news with his Sunday stoned gaze. I like the way it landed.

Swashbuckler brandished
    his eternal legacy
    with eloquent stride. Wow. ...It's so quiet now. lol. that was full on.

I think this is wonderful writing. The content is compelling and current.
    The way you say so much in so few words.
    The tone is right to me.
    With so much, you create inviting atmosphere. It was really good imo.
    But that's just me. My Heaven could be your Hell.

Top Read.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Emily; October 3rd, 2015 at 07:07 AM

Thanks again for the amazing feedback as usual, @Emily . You are the woman! Much love.

Feedback bump: http://www.rapbattles.com/showthread...=1#post8762262

Battle Record
    2-3
    Awards PC HOF PS Season champ

Quote Originally Posted by idealizt View Post

Now. I look at this title and I wonder... I immediately thought of the slut-stud debate, guess that's just how the mind works I suppose. However, when I read your piece it doesn't really have that connotation. At least, not from what I see. Also the sense of good and evil, black and white (red vs blue kind of screams a dark vs light star wars comparison). It's an eye-catching, thoughtful title. Already has us asking questions.

Embarrassed evil
    loathes laughingstock legacy;
    harbors horror's hopes.

Embarrassed evil. An interesting concept you've got here. Evil, or an evil figure embarrassed of itself. It loathes the legacy of humiliation it has yet still holds hope for the horror it can bring. I like the imagery that's implied in my mind from this. The two alliterations are smooth and this stanza in itself is a fantastic start. We call it the hook, and you've hooked me.

Borderline personality
    where boredom lies
    in a borderlying city.
    Boarded shrines
    formerly immortalized
    dethroned of ordered sitting.

Borderline personality... (disorder?). I do like the usage of multiple b's. The smooth continuity of the letters and slight alliteration kept with this gives me a smooth flow. Rhyme scheme mostly fits, I think some are not as smooth as others. Seems like ABAB rhyming here. But borderline personality and border lying city don't quite roll of the tongue together, you know? Still, I'm not docking serious points off for rhyme schemes and rhymes. But, if you want flawless flow then choosing the words more selectively should probably be a priority if you don't want the reader to stumble. Having pauses and blocks in the flow are good; when they're done for effect. Anyway, I still enjoyed this block here. I get this out with the old and in with the new kind of feel.' Boarded shrines' speak of old temples and churches long forgotten. Old values buried by newer days. Morality lost?

Through clinched teeth,
    misguided miscreants
    expect minced meat
    indiscriminately.

Again with the similar lettering and pieces of alliteration. I like it. Misguided miscreants in particular. Everyone we know who harbors a sort of gangster or thuggish mentality acts like they're tough and that's how they're supposed to be. Living a life that was taught to them, but they're kids. They're too naive to know they've been misguided. Master of disguise on the streets... he's experienced. He knows what he's doing and what he can get out of these kids. And he does sell his lies indiscriminately because he knows they're easy to sell...

Promiscuous pretenders
    pledge patently
    plagued promises.

A l l i t e r a t i o n. You're just going wild with it in this one, aren't you? Lol. Nevertheless, it rolls smooth. The words worked together nicely. 'Promiscuous pretenders'. I wonder who these pretenders might be. Literally people who have sex a lot? They use sex as a means for power. False promises to get what they want. A few different ways to read this.

to establish habitats
    destined for disaster -
    akin to the blind
    driving plastered.

Troublemakers (drug dealers) using their addicts (buyers) to create habitats (homes and neighborhoods) of suffering. A place where they can thrive and prosper. Of course, this kind of place is destined for disaster. No wonder why impoverished neighborhoods with lots of drugs have such high crime rates, such high murder rates, such high amounts of tragedy. They are indeed blind drivers operating a vehicle under the influence. The crash is coming, the matter is when...

Ravenous writers
    rapidly roam
    reconstructing rare
    ruptured raptures,
    savagely sulked
    in the stutter of the chatter.

Hm. I don't know how much I feel this verse in relation to everything else. This is no doubt another piece of good writing, but it feels somewhat out of character here. I can't pinpoint the feeling, but the feeling lingers. Though I suppose ravenous writers could be hungry, corrupt journalists taking whatever money they can get in order to paint a narrative that has a specific agenda that may not be true. That's me reading into your words, and I could be soooooo far off base. But if I were to build a bridge from this to the rest, that would be it. Words written on the papers not giving the clear truth of the matter.

A muster of the matter
    prevent words read
    from another chapter.

'Prevent words read' kind of lines up with what I said above. A sort of falsehood by not releasing the entirety of the facts. Media today is full of half truths.

entropy entrapped
    in the vastest town
    as the eye of Horus
    finally has its glasses found.

Trapped by the shackles we form. Entropy... everything decaying and dying. The eye of horus is a symbol of protection and health. Finally has its glasses... finally sees clearly. Is this an eye opener, the reveal? Pulling the shades up and revealing what truly is. I wonder.

A loaded son of a . . .
    loving the hate, and fucking the faith
    in the news with his Sunday stoned gaze.

'So what are we after?' I like the question. Seems that nobody knows. Nobody knows what we're after. There's so many debates, so many arguments this way and that. I enjoyed the playing around with 'son of a gun' the way you did it. A man against faith, but loves the hate. You've got a twist there. One half of the coin opposed to the virtues seemed to be painted by the old sage.

Swashbuckler brandished
    his eternal legacy
    with eloquent stride.

Some romanticism going on here. 'Eloquent stride' seems to depict his legacy as one that is a 'badge of honor'. But the majority of this work shows a bleak picture of so many troublesome things apparent in society so if we strip the romance there is darkness underneath the surface.
    You know, I don't know exactly what to make of this. You're a very talented writer, idealizt. Pen strokes are sharp, and your mind has an array of vocabulary at the ready. I read this as a social perspective of the dualities within our society as a whole. Pictures paint heroes, yet the paintings are chipped and have imperfections. In many cases, under the surface is a lot of evil hidden by noble words and 'public actions'. I feel like some stanzas as I pointed above didn't quite fit the mold and threw me off. I could be wrong and missed what you were trying to say. At a personal level, I felt like the alliterations overtook your work. You know? Like, when you can tell someone fished through the dictionary for a fancy word when the simple way would have done it nicely enough. Grabbing broad words to fit the alliteration rather than a specific piece of imagery to symbolize an idea. Now, that doesn't mean I'd want massive lines with brush strokes so specific that you're painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel (if you could write imagery that great, please do it) but the right word(s) in the right place ring more true than the words that fit the boxed motion. This is an excellent concept, your writing is great, and overall this is a very good piece with a lot of thought to it which should be clear by the size of this feed. I feel like there's more potential here though. Regardless, awesome work Idealizt. Thanks for writing this and sharing it!
    “Those whom life does not cure death will. The world is quite ruthless in selecting between the dream and the reality, even where we will not. Between the wish and the thing the world lies waiting.”