User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Kendrick Lamar's "Control" verse

Battle Record
    13-5
    Awards Legendary Member Legendary Battle Legendary OM OM HOF

Kendrick Lamar's "Control" verse

Now that it's had time to settle and sit in, how big of an impact do y'all think the verse had?

I think it was one of the biggest moments for rap music in a while. It had EVERYBODY talking about it. It sparked a endless stream of responses. And it was just a beautiful thing imo lol. Had people who didn't even know who half the rappers he mentioned are talking about the shit.

A.i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Click one of ^those to check out my music and shit

You've Earned a Custom Title! Northern Beggar's Avatar

Re: Kendrick Lamar's "Control" verse

word, i was supportive of that whole moment. It definitely lit a fire in the industry from mainstream rappers to underground battle emcees, everyone took noticed. It was fun.

Here's another question, who do you think had the best response?
    [youtube]DmSREFKsZ7Y[/youtube]

Battle Record
    13-5

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Beggar View Post
    word, i was supportive of that whole moment. It definitely lit a fire in the industry from mainstream rappers to underground battle emcees, everyone took noticed. It was fun.

Here's another question, who do you think had the best response?
    Hmmm. I'd have to go back an listen to them again. There were so many lol. I remember liking King Los' response a lot. Budden. Cassidy. Ortiz. All had some nice ones.

A.i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His verse was jaw dropping to be honest.

Battle Record
    13-5

Quote Originally Posted by Verb. View Post
    His verse was jaw dropping to be honest.
    Word lol. I thought it was amazing the first time I heard it. And I still do. It reminded me of why I love hip hop. Any time a song or verse does that to me, it sticks.

A.i

Quote Originally Posted by Nahlidge View Post
    Word lol. I thought it was amazing the first time I heard it. And I still do. It reminded me of why I love hip hop. Any time a song or verse does that to me, it sticks.
    When I heard it my first thought...this dude got balls straight out naming dudes...half of whom I believe might best him. I like Kendrick Lamar but I think he's just trying to get more to notice him thats why he did the verse. BTW Budden and Cassidy lit him up.

Battle Record
    13-5

Quote Originally Posted by Verb. View Post
    When I heard it my first thought...this dude got balls straight out naming dudes...half of whom I believe might best him. I like Kendrick Lamar but I think he's just trying to get more to notice him thats why he did the verse. BTW Budden and Cassidy lit him up.
    Well Kendrick was in the perfect position to do what he did. One of the best albums of the year. Dre's backing him. I think it did more for the hip hop than it did for Kendrick imo. But I think that was his intention. To wake up all the sleeping giants. Telling them to get this shit cracking.

A.i

Quote Originally Posted by Nahlidge View Post
    Well Kendrick was in the perfect position to do what he did. One of the best albums of the year. Dre's backing him. I think it did more for the hip hop than it did for Kendrick imo. But I think that was his intention. To wake up all the sleeping giants. Telling them to get this shit cracking.

I concur I think it will awaken the sleeping giants and judging from the responses he's doing very well in that aspect.

Battle Record
    0-1

I don't think it did jack shit but raise eyebrows and diss tracks that didn't need to happen..... imo the verse was overrated and wasn't that good.

Battle Record
    0-1

you want a good verse to listen to? listen to pharoahe monch verse on bring it on... on the organized konfusion album

Battle Record
    0-1

Verb all the names he named were bum ass overrated famous mainstream rappers besides ( Jay Elec ) imo.

Battle Record
    3-2

I thought it was a dope verse, definitely had to be said by someone in the public eye with some current shine on 'em... I HOPE it leads to some more lyrical hip hop over the next year or two, whatever... but I think it was blown a little outta proportion... same for his BET cypher video, anybody that tells me his flow didn't fall the fuck off halfway through the verse is just dick ridin' lol... but the Control verse was legit, it served it's purpose, and hopefully the message has some stayin' power...

Battle Record
    20-6

Mine was better
    Always Impervious an Axis Power.

Supermod Me.

Battle Record
    0-1

daz you couldn't rap if you put a condom on cause you're a pussy now shut up

Less is More

Quote Originally Posted by EBCB View Post
    Verb all the names he named were bum ass overrated famous mainstream rappers besides ( Jay Elec ) imo.
    mainstream. yes. overrated? some

I understand your perspective, based on your underground influence, but there's no money there. Whatever.. keep your soul, respect, and stay underground, that's fine. but why not maximize hip hop for what it's true potential is? a lot of artists are coming from nothing to being noticed world wide and having enough money for them and their family. You can't hate on that. Underground is one form of rap, yes you do have the amazing lyrics, good concepts, maybe even change your perspective on life, but there's no money in it, it's harder to create a fanbase and/or create an impact big enough to change the culture, there's no marketing involved, hip hop artists today are like building a brand. You need your appeal, distinct flow, publicity stunt, which all contributes to more money, which opens doors to allow you to do more things. J cole, Kendrick, Pusha are all real lyricists, the only thing seperating them from your traditional "underground" rapper is the production, industry backing and beat choices, which benefits them

but to answer the original question, i nearly jumped out my seat when that kendrick part came on, not only was the verse gutsy and dope, but i was more interested to hear what the other rappers mentioned were gonna do
    Reservoir Gods