Battle Record
    6-2

Need a new set up

What's good set up for a budget around 800-1200

Battle Record
    13-5
    Awards Legendary Member Legendary Battle Legendary OM OM HOF

Re: Need a new set up

You need everything for that price? I just spent about $1,200 earlier this year.

Acer Desktop ($400)
    Focusrite iTrack Solo ($119)
    SE Reflexion Filter X ($119)
    Audio Technica AT2020 ($99)
    M Audio Oxygen 25 ($99)

That's exactly what I have right now. The rest I spent on cords, a mic stand, headphones, a computer desk and shit. I got everything except for the computer off of sweetwater.com. And everything was a about $20-$50 more when I bought it lol. But with a lil help from a few people and Youtube videos I get a clean sounding mix.

A.i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Click one of ^those to check out my music and shit

On another level. Skully Hendrix's Avatar
    Battle Record
    6-2

@Nahlidge would I really need a acer desktop ? I already use a sony vaio laptop

Battle Record
    13-5

Quote Originally Posted by Kraven Moorbud View Post
    @Nahlidge would I really need a acer desktop ? I already use a sony vaio laptop
    Nah lol. You can use whatever computer you want. Idk the specs of that laptop. But it might not be the best for recording/mixing. But I've recorded and mixed on shitty laptops before. So it can be done.

A.i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    6-2

lol nice so @Nahlidge I just saved $400 nothing else I could upgrade or add on to the rest of the list?

Battle Record
    13-5

Well you don't even have to buy exactly what I bought. I just posted what I have to give you an idea of what you can get. If you're saving on not having to buy a computer then you can put more money toward the other stuff and buy a better interface or mic. But unless that laptop was made for music, it might be a bad idea to invest all that into equipment for it to not even be able to run smooth. Know what I mean?

What windows you running? How much Ram does the laptop have? The processor? Because if it's not up to par with all that, you're going to come across some problems when it comes time to mix and run shit through plug ins.

A.i

Battle Record
    6-2

I have windows 7 my RAM is 4.00 GB and my processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40 GHz, 2399 Mhz, 2 core(s)

Battle Record
    6-2

Battle Record
    13-5

That should be fine if you're not running a shit load of plugins as far as I know. I've ran sessions on shit computers before and those specs are a lot better lol.

Check sweetwater.com for some interfaces. Since you don't have to get a computer you can spend a more money on and get a better one than mine. A better mic too. Shit even the better Reflexion Filter lol.

A.i

Battle Record
    1-3
    Awards PC HOF Haiku Season Champion

That computer is like seriously the minimal possible requirements for recording...

I'd concentrate spending my money on the following:
    1) an interface - basic one will do if you're only recording your voice, focusrite ones are good but try and get one thay will record at 24 and 48 rather than 16 and 44.1
    2) a decent mic - you want a large diaphragm condenser, don't expect to pay under a grand for an actual good mic, but you can get a decent enough one for a couple hundred... you want a flat frequency response and yeah, get a pop filter too
    3) I'd recommend an outboard compressor, but that means a lot more gear, so just use your plugins for now, there's free ones if you don't need that world class sound
    4) Reference monitors - expect to pay minimum $500 for something worth mixing on... here you're looking for flat frequency response, bass response around 40Hz is ok at this pricepoint, also watch out for the crossover point between the woofer and tweeter (if there isnt one, don't buy), and make sure they're magnetically shielded for safe use near your computer

Those are the basic essentials. Beyond that it's really just about spending more money to get more and better gear.

Battle Record
    13-5

Quote Originally Posted by Ronic View Post
    That computer is like seriously the minimal possible requirements for recording...

I'd concentrate spending my money on the following:
    1) an interface - basic one will do if you're only recording your voice, focusrite ones are good but try and get one thay will record at 24 and 48 rather than 16 and 44.1
    2) a decent mic - you want a large diaphragm condenser, don't expect to pay under a grand for an actual good mic, but you can get a decent enough one for a couple hundred... you want a flat frequency response and yeah, get a pop filter too
    3) I'd recommend an outboard compressor, but that means a lot more gear, so just use your plugins for now, there's free ones if you don't need that world class sound
    4) Reference monitors - expect to pay minimum $500 for something worth mixing on... here you're looking for flat frequency response, bass response around 40Hz is ok at this pricepoint, also watch out for the crossover point between the woofer and tweeter (if there isnt one, don't buy), and make sure they're magnetically shielded for safe use near your computer

Those are the basic essentials. Beyond that it's really just about spending more money to get more and better gear.
    Those type of prices would prolly scare the shit outta someone jumping in to audio wanting to know what to buy lol. They could get a "starter kit" for a lot less than that. And I only say that because I wouldn't recommend someone dropping over a couple hundred dollars tops on equipment if they're just starting to get into recording. Start with something cheap and decent. Learn a DAW. Then if you really get into it, upgrade. Unless you have the money to blow right off the back of course. But usually that's not the case lol.

I do agree with Focusrite products though. I have used 3 different interfaces by them and can't complain about either of them. And even though it's frowned on, I mix on headphones. I use a pair of AKG K77 Perceptions and a pair of Beats By Dre Solo HD's. Monitors are pretty expensive when you get into the decent quality ones. But I'm planning on getting some hopefully this year.

A.i

Battle Record
    1-3
    Awards PC HOF Haiku Season Champion

Audio gear is expensive as fuck tbh those kind of prices are what I consider the cheap and nasty stuff lol

I used to mix out of my cans - ATH M50's - but would honestly recommend against it. I got a pair of monitors on ebay half price, $120 australian. They're by no means excellent (I usually steer clear of behringer products), but for that kind of price it makes entry level gear acceptable.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Buy this mic...

http://bit.ly/1mbwf7u
    AKG 214: It's a $1000 mic with all the $1000 bells and whistles stripped off of it. It sounds exactly like a 414. No need to blow more than $1000 to find a good mic. There's a lot of great mice out there for less. I've never spent over $1000 for a single mic in my mic cabinet, and I'll be damned if anyone listens to my recordings and says I should've spent more on something else.

Buy this interface...

http://bit.ly/1dfCCkZ
    Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56: Yes, it's pricey. Yes it has a ton of I/Os that you might never use. But it has 2 Liquid preamps in it. The only other available device that will get you ONE of those preamps is the $2000 Liquid Channel. These preamps are super clean and have 10 settings to replicate the sound characteristics of gear that you will probably never afford or want to spend the money on. Not to mention that this interface is damn near future proof for whatever you might possibly do with audio.

Buy these headphones...

http://bit.ly/1gWOYTk
    Sony MDR-7506: They're closed back so sound doesn't leak into the mic when recording. They're professional grade. They're very durable and every part is individually replaceable so you don't have to buy a new pair if they break. They come with a durable leather pouch and fold up pretty small for travel and storage. They're fairly flat, so headphone mixes in them come out pretty nice, altho monitors are essential to a studio quality mix.

Also, get yourself a 6ft mic stand with a boom and a 25ft XLR cable. The cheapest brand cable at Guitar Center will do. Don't let anyone sell you Monster cable or anything else expensive. If you really want high end cable, take a quick soldering lesson and learn how to make them yourself. It's ridiculously cheaper.

Wait on monitors. Don't go in on a pair of monitors until you have the acoustics in your room to mix properly along with the skill and technique. If you have a pair of decent sounding speakers then use those and your headphones for now. You don't want to think about monitors until you're looking at putting in another $1000 or so. Just make sure you reference your mix on a lot of different sources, and tweak it until it sounds good on everything.

If you need any more help, I'm on Facebook...
    https://www.facebook.com/brianmeola

Battle Record
    5-11

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    Buy this mic...

http://bit.ly/1mbwf7u
    AKG 214: It's a $1000 mic with all the $1000 bells and whistles stripped off of it. It sounds exactly like a 414. No need to blow more than $1000 to find a good mic. There's a lot of great mice out there for less. I've never spent over $1000 for a single mic in my mic cabinet, and I'll be damned if anyone listens to my recordings and says I should've spent more on something else.

Buy this interface...

http://bit.ly/1dfCCkZ
    Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56: Yes, it's pricey. Yes it has a ton of I/Os that you might never use. But it has 2 Liquid preamps in it. The only other available device that will get you ONE of those preamps is the $2000 Liquid Channel. These preamps are super clean and have 10 settings to replicate the sound characteristics of gear that you will probably never afford or want to spend the money on. Not to mention that this interface is damn near future proof for whatever you might possibly do with audio.

Buy these headphones...

http://bit.ly/1gWOYTk
    Sony MDR-7506: They're closed back so sound doesn't leak into the mic when recording. They're professional grade. They're very durable and every part is individually replaceable so you don't have to buy a new pair if they break. They come with a durable leather pouch and fold up pretty small for travel and storage. They're fairly flat, so headphone mixes in them come out pretty nice, altho monitors are essential to a studio quality mix.

Also, get yourself a 6ft mic stand with a boom and a 25ft XLR cable. The cheapest brand cable at Guitar Center will do. Don't let anyone sell you Monster cable or anything else expensive. If you really want high end cable, take a quick soldering lesson and learn how to make them yourself. It's ridiculously cheaper.

Wait on monitors. Don't go in on a pair of monitors until you have the acoustics in your room to mix properly along with the skill and technique. If you have a pair of decent sounding speakers then use those and your headphones for now. You don't want to think about monitors until you're looking at putting in another $1000 or so. Just make sure you reference your mix on a lot of different sources, and tweak it until it sounds good on everything.

If you need any more help, I'm on Facebook...
    https://www.facebook.com/brianmeola

Opie...I have to ask do you know of any good mixing tutorials for a cleaner sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Nahlidge View Post
    You need everything for that price? I just spent about $1,200 earlier this year.

Acer Desktop ($400)
    Focusrite iTrack Solo ($119)
    SE Reflexion Filter X ($119)
    Audio Technica AT2020 ($99)
    M Audio Oxygen 25 ($99)

That's exactly what I have right now. The rest I spent on cords, a mic stand, headphones, a computer desk and shit. I got everything except for the computer off of sweetwater.com. And everything was a about $20-$50 more when I bought it lol. But with a lil help from a few people and Youtube videos I get a clean sounding mix.
    Negative. Sorry Kareem.