User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: need mixing advice

Banned
    Battle Record
    1-12

need mixing advice

I'm using audacity cause it's the easiest program. I donno jack shit about mixing. I've tried recording in my bathroom and enclosed spaces like you're supposed to but I don't like the echo effect and I'm not about to staple shit to the wall but anyway after I record I generally add compression, about -14 db with a 2.5 to 1 ratio. I don't know anything about EQ but there's an alterable line and I just give it 2 short peaks at quarter lengths, how am I supposed to add equalization? Also how do I double up the vocals, do I just copy and paste? Should I perform the same effects on both vocals? Are there any other effects I should add besides compression or eq? I have kinda a high pitched, mono voice and my qualities shitty. I'm using a usb mic with a lap top. What do I do to "master" a track? Any other general tips for recording? Thanks.
    Last edited by Wayword; December 1st, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Re: need mixing advice

audacity is not the easyst program...look into magix there is a mixing and mastering sweet that you can select were all the plug ins you would use usualy come up....idk specificly...u use eq to mess with the specific levels of you vocals...you dont have to staple anything to your walls get into a closet or a small room and put blankets and close up on the wall...i use a closet and just surround myself and the mic with clothes and thumb tack a blacket on the wall...but for better mixing advice look on youtube theres an ass ton of videos on there about mixing...or look on here i think theres 2 or 3 threds on the first page about mixing and mastering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

So you are recording a sound that you dont like in a bathroom then compressing and EQ`ing it?

which will produce what? a compressed and EQ`d version...

that like having an apple pie and trying to turn it into chocolate cake
    just buy the cake in the first place and add some custard to taste!

The vocal take has to sound a s good as possible to start with, that means recording in as dead space as possible. You can add more flavour when mixing but why fight a shit take? you dont have to staple shit to the wall but you should research on how to get a good vocal take.
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

Mhmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Question View Post
    So you are recording a sound that you dont like in a bathroom then compressing and EQ`ing it?

which will produce what? a compressed and EQ`d version...

that like having an apple pie and trying to turn it into chocolate cake
    just buy the cake in the first place and add some custard to taste!

The vocal take has to sound a s good as possible to start with, that means recording in as dead space as possible. You can add more flavour when mixing but why fight a shit take? you dont have to staple shit to the wall but you should research on how to get a good vocal take.
    he answered that correctly lol.

Banned
    Battle Record
    1-12

no I don't record in the bathroom, I've tried it but I don't like the echo effect it generates so I record in the kitchen but I've seen good rappers record in their bathroom with nothing on the walls. I'm just looking for advice...

it aint hatin if you suck I-M-E's Avatar

to double up you just record a new mix under the original, just do it the way you did on the original, thats usually what we do
    The Hip Hop Sounds Of...
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Banned
    Battle Record
    1-12

I tried doubling the vocals and it sounds kinda creepy and doesn't match, does everybody do that? I'm just adding compression, pre-defined acoustic EQ and a nice effect I've found is setting the High pass filter to 70 or 80. How do I better double up the vocals?

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Hetero 1 View Post
    I tried doubling the vocals and it sounds kinda creepy and doesn't match, does everybody do that? I'm just adding compression, pre-defined acoustic EQ and a nice effect I've found is setting the High pass filter to 70 or 80. How do I better double up the vocals?
    Just go by ear...

You can either record two seperate takes or double the original, both will work but if you double the original you need to add something to the doubled take...try adding a reverb/delay/eq change or different compression setting to one take, experiment with volume and pan levels between the two takes.
    you could also stack multiple takes and do the same
    try pitch shifting, try anything really......

another trick is to whisper a take or use a high pass filter to add some air around the lead vocal
    Last edited by Big Question; December 3rd, 2011 at 03:27 PM
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

The EQ Primer

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php

every tracks different, theres no one fix all setting. watch youtube vids read up on both eq n compression. if you want the lead vocs to stand out record them again over the first take, lower them n add slight distortion.

record in a room where theres alot of furniture, it will help absorb some of the reflection.