User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Air breaths gasps

I sell greatbeats4cheap TechOmega's Avatar
    Battle Record
    0-2

Air breaths gasps

Okay, for those who record I'm sure you have noticed when mixing down vocals the infamous "air breath..or as I call it gasps". I'm solid at mixing (not the best, but I can get demo quality). I'm having trouble going around the whole air breath b/c as of late I've decided to mute these out. I record in a sound proofed closet.

What would be a way of going around this issue (using a slight echo on my vocals? reverb?) If so please list a decent preset to input for these adjustments. I'm using Adobe Audition 1.5 (I know shits old as fuck, but I work well with it and it gets the job done)
    Follow Me
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    3-2

Re: Air breaths gasps

well, your proximity needs work... when you gotta breathe, pull your head back right quick... in the edit stage, find each breath and use Amplitude to cut 'em by 6db to make 'em quieter... there's no plugin or "effect" that's gonna make 'em go away...

I sell greatbeats4cheap TechOmega's Avatar
    Battle Record
    0-2

good looks
    Follow Me

Touch My Beard Extinctor Draconis's Avatar

I personally like the sound of breathing. it feels natural, as long as you're not a fat boy gasping for air.
    De Kapitein

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Air breaths gasps

Like Keeb said... Reducing breath noise starts in the booth. But adjustments often have to be made after recording. I typically just use volume automation to lower the breaths. The key is to lower them to where they're either at a level that sounds good to you or just to the point that you don't hear them at all. It's best to avoid cutting them completely because you're also cutting the ambience of the recording which can make the editing seem unnatural and noticeable.

Personally, I try to keep the track sounding as natural as possible, so I'll reduce the level of a breath if it's abnormally loud or reduce the level of the breaths if they seem like a distraction to the listener. I'll make breaths inaudible if they take away from an adlib, an instrument note/hit or an effect I'm using.