User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Showing results 16 to 20 of 20

Thread: How could I work on my voice?

Battle Record
    3-2

Re: How could I work on my voice?

freestyle a lot, rap along to songs you like by people who have a sound you like... if you get a good freestyle goin' that you're into and really feelin', chances are that's the sound you're gonna want on your recordings... so just keep spittin' a lot... till it's natural... that's why so many folks that sound good SOUND good, 'cause it's second nature to them... it's THEM comin' out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    6-0

Well, there is actually a multitude of ways you can go about this. From what you are saying you just want your voice to be something it isnt. The first thing to think about is tha, generally people are very picky about how they sound. This is the first thing and to me most important. If you spend too much time "trying" to get your voice to be something it isnt then it isnt going to sound genuine. In other words work with what you have.

Your voice is in essence an instrument, capable of hitting different octaves and producing different frequencies. There is a reason that singers "warm" their vocal chords with Do,re,me,fa,so,la,te,do etc. because each of these tones represents the capabilites of the voice in scale. You should be warming your voice to something to get it used to your actual ability to tone your voice, IE, the way you deliver your voice. You are hitting different tones even when you rap, if you were not you would sound flat and without emotion. It is good technique to practice what you preach, in other words, get used to using your voice before you actually use your voice.

Some people produce a lot of saliva, some people have very dry, crackling sounding voices that require you to change. Meaning, you need to remedy this with something. People have personal techniques and it is best to consider your problems and address them each. IE Dry voice, take a drink, wet voice, spit a lot.

Another key feature at least to me is lyric memorization. This is a very fundamental step because it removes the thought process of having to focus on reading while you should be focusing on how you are portraying the actual vocals. Of course some artists can pick this up better than others and some do not need to memorize to be able to do this. This is a personal thing for me. By memorizing you essentially eliminate the thought process of reading the lyrics combined with saying them a certain way.

The fact that you are right in the middle of puberty still does not help you. Your voice may crack under pressure when trying to emphasize on certain tones, hindering your ability to say things how you think they will sound, and the microphone is a very sensitive tool that will notice all of these changes in your recording.

People work forever on their sound, so you not immediately liking your sound is normal. You have to find out what works for you. Don't try to hard to sound like something you arent, because it is just going to sound falsified when you hear it back. You don't want to hold yourself back either, rap from your stomach and not your nose in general. I suggest freestyling as often as you can. I also suggest finding a basis for what you can do, then work on changing that up by switching emphasis on certain words or whatever.

The voice is an instrument capable of producing many tones, remember that. But mainly though it just takes practice getting comfortable in your own skin. It isnt typically something that comes fast. It also isnt uncommon for people to completely sound different after years of using their voice. A good example is listen to Eminem on his first cd and then his last CD. A blatant difference in tone, and how he actually says words as well.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    0-2

Word, thanks.

I don't think that I'm entirely trying to sound like something that I'm not...But, I want to come off a little mature about how I present myself with my voice to an audience. I want to keep my voice, that's where the originality comes from. I like to keep it that way, it's just creating that voice into something better. I don't want to follow a path, I want to leave a trail. I'll do everything I can to practice making my voice into something fluent, along the lines of being well spoken and sounding unique, when rapping. I want my voice to grow, which it will naturally also. However, I want to make it into something confident.

Do you recommend breathing exercises for general basis rapping AND/OR a resort to practice for on-stage performances? Or will that come naturally by rapping to other songs by influential rappers and freestyling?

Also, when you say freestyle...How long would you recommend, daily? Just for the sake of my time management.

I'd say my voice is quite dry, taking a drink would be a solution. Often? Or just before I'm about to rap? Does it matter what the drink is? Hot or cold? We had some discussion earlier in this thread, talking about chocolate not being good for the voice but not yet proven in our conversations here. They say tea or coffee, I think about water really. Does it matter? Personally, I think something warm would sooth the throat.

Thanks for the advice and tips...I haven't yet started anything very practical about my voice, in great deals of effort...But resorting here has given me an idea of how to go about it. I'm sure I'll get the hang of things in the future...And yeah, I've listened to Eminem back and forth through the years...It has changed, definitely. In fact, I was relating to him and Mike Shinoda...When I was talking about voice changing...It does significantly at my age and whatever's to come.

All respect for your long winded effort to help :P

Peace.
    Last edited by Paraciite; November 20th, 2010 at 09:49 AM

You write some real shit, you get her. Do something...

Battle Record
    0-2

Bump.

You write some real shit, you get her. Do something...

Your Opinion Dont Count RomesBurning's Avatar

THE MASTERS & THE MASSES, One Has P O W E R ; The Other One LACKS IT