Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Showing results 31 to 45 of 87

Thread: Best recording software?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

Hit the compression harder I guess.

Or grow some balls and ride the fader better hoe!

Touch My Beard Extinctor Draconis's Avatar

Re: Best recording software?

FUCK YOU i went from the inserts to the LA2A out the LA2A straight to pro tools

i got another session with the dude so i'll probably ride faders next time
    De Kapitein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

Trust me, -20dB into PT with a little compression. You have plenty of headroom. Use it to your advantage.

i know man i felt obligated to come in hotter because of his m3 beats that were raging loud i didn't want him to go home with the pt file and think wtf why am i so soft
    De Kapitein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

I would turn all the tracks down to match like they should be. If the client can't grasp the concept then I'd just normalize the vocals afterward to send the session home with him.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

I don't like how aa3 tube compressor sounds, don't know if all of them sound like that. But just want spanja said, sometimes he goes quit then loud, or sometimes he stand farther or closer to the mic. But as far as clipping goes it really makes no sense to me. I have to turn down my mics volume on the interface a little less than half when he raps. And when I go in I can rap loud as fuck, alomst yelling presence and I'm only @ half, just a little more than he is. And his voice will clip and not mine. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    I would turn all the tracks down to match like they should be. If the client can't grasp the concept then I'd just normalize the vocals afterward to send the session home with him.
    i tried to keep keep everything at nominal so what he heard is what he got when he takes it home. I'd record softer if i was actually mixing the tune myself plus i wanted to put my evil stamp on it before it gets to the mix engineer if he has one which i doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by .Bullet. View Post
    I don't like how aa3 tube compressor sounds, don't know if all of them sound like that. But just want spanja said, sometimes he goes quit then loud, or sometimes he stand farther or closer to the mic. But as far as clipping goes it really makes no sense to me. I have to turn down my mics volume on the interface a little less than half when he raps. And when I go in I can rap loud as fuck, alomst yelling presence and I'm only @ half, just a little more than he is. And his voice will clip and not mine. lol
    Lmao at plug in compressor. we're talking about real hardware tube compressor lmao at comparing an audition plug in to something like the la2a
    but anyways the clipping thing could be because he has a lower voice, low end energy chews up more headroom
    De Kapitein

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Shhh. yeuh, maybe. Seemed pretty weird to me. Or does this happen when your engineering. The guy will rap real fast, but then when you play it through your program its alot slower, but still sounds good an on beat.

and also opey, I want to look @ your masterring tutorials. How would I look it up, type your name and masterring into google? or what.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

Search this forum. I don't post on any other site.

Turn the preamp down. Who cares if it's half way down. Turn it as low as you need. My pre is never even half way up when I record vocals.

If he's doin shit like moving all around the mic or getting real loud and real soft then tell him to fix it. An artist has to know how to record. When you get loud you move away from the mic. When you get lower you move closer.

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    I said whatever works for you. But you're giving advice. You're not stating that you like audition because it's what you know.

I don't care if you use windows sound recorder. But don't say it's better if it's all you know. This section of the site isn't for dropping posts just to share an opinion. This section is educational. So if you can't back your opinion with some substance then I'm going to make sure that people put your opinion into the proper perspective.

I don't know why you can't see the flaw in saying something is the best when you don't know how to use anything else. It's no different than someone saying their $50 mic sounds great because it's the only mic they've ever owned.

Not only that, you're stating uneducated facts about the other software. You're painting a picture that a watered down program is better than a full featured professional program. First by saying you like it better when you don't even know how to use anything else. You can't even point out specifically what's better about it. No substance whatsoever. Then you point out so called flaws in other programs that you don't even understand.

There isn't a 48 track limit in Pro Tools. There's a 48 AUDIO track limit. You can have as many midi tracks or aux tracks to add fx or rewire from other programs as you want. In PT, audio tracks are tracks where you record and play actual audio files. And each one of those tracks have an unlimited amount of playlists to record different takes and comp performances etc. You can't even do this in other programs so you wouldn't know how it works unless you actually use PT. Understandable, but that's why you don't try to educate someone about something that you're clueless about.

I tried not to argue. I gave you chances to explain your point of view. And I tried to be nice about it. But I'm not going to let anyone in this forum feed people false information. And I'm going to make sure that people are able to put everyone's opinions in context.

You like Audition. Great. A lot of people do, and for good reason. It's simple and easy to bootleg. But until you actually know how to use something else, you have no idea if it's better than anything. Sorry. I'm not arguing. I'm stating the facts so people can make educated decisions. That's what this forum is for. Not having an opinion for the sake of having an opinion.

:Vanja:
    dude you start off with a mature discussion, there proceed to get more condescending with each post
    ive already said ive used protools, sonar, reaper and cubase...i then said audition has better editing, i also said better is subjective and thats my personal preferance. how is that false information? its what the conclusion ive drawn from my own personal experience and to be quite frank i could give a fuck less if you disagree, but at least have some respect for others

i seriously have no idea why you always have to put people down, this forum might as well be called the opey forum and fuck everybody else.

i know my audio knowledge isnt close to yours but please dont make me out to be retard for having an educated opinion

and im quite aware its 48 audio tracks, dont twist what i said...i said i once used more than 48 tracks... i bounced files from reason to wav.

it wasnt even my intention to knock 48 tracks, i initially said audition and protools can each do things better than the other and merely pointing to an example.

as for talking about watered down, whats m powered if not a watered down version of hd? the like of cubase and sonar are far more complete than protools m powered unless you like throwing money at standard features of other daws.

whatever tho, this wasnt intended to knock any daw or start you off on a legendary im above you mortal rants but for your info cubase can comp takes just fine, so none of us know everything do we mr smarty pants

and lol, fuck off i just realised i got angry at you again, you wind me up man
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

You contradict yourself. You say you abandon something because the learning curve is too high, then say that you know how to use all the programs. You say the 48 track limit is an issue and you've used 60 tracks. Then say you say you only use up to 30 audio tracks, but you knew the limit was for audio tracks only. Does that sound logical to you?

Asking for substance from people isn't condescending. I expected you to have an educated opinion judging by your typical advice around here. But for some reason you can't give a little substance. I get the idea of opinions being subjective. But I also get the idea of backing opinions with actual facts or comparisons. All I did was push for more info. Instead of giving it, you got all defensive which makes it look like you don't know what you're talking about. You still haven't said what's better about Audition. I didn't know it was so difficult. My bad.

Idk why you're bringing up some Cubase vs Pro Tools stuff. I own both. I know both like the back of my hand. They both do the same basic stuff. PT has some more sophisticated tools in it that make life way easier. Collapsible playlists, beat detective, identify beat, sound replacer, and universal busses to name a few.

Cubase has bounce to mp3 that pt makes you pay for. I opt to just convert in iTunes. Unlimited audio tracks that is hardly needed and can crash your session. And auto time compensation for plugin latency. It's manual in PT unless you have HD. These features can save you seconds. The PT features I mentioned can save you hours. Cubase also works with any interface, but you lose stability and with the $200 you save on PT you can buy a better interface.

Also, we don't talk about this much here because we're mostly music heads, but PT is far superior for film audio. In fact, to handle film properly, you have to pay $1800 to upgrade to Nuendo. Talk about added expense for standard features.

Yes, Avid's $10,000+ solution is better than its free solution and its $300 solution. It has built in DSP that no other DAW offers. That's the only difference.

LE is free and M-Powered is $300. That's cheaper than Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Logic, FL Studio, Reason, Ableton Live, and yes... even Audition. It's the cheapest solution and the best one. When does that ever happen?

Pro Tools is better because of better features, stability, and price.

I don't care about this argument. As I said, I own both programs. But this is a comparison from someone who knows both programs. My bias is clearly toward Pro Tools, but my reasons are just as clear and informative. Not too much to ask for. The only reasons I personally ask for such information is so people get some actual information out of your advice and I get to ether understand the benefits of using something that I don't, so I can be more informative. Plus I can put what you know into perspective and give you advice based on what you're trying to get out of what you're doing.

Yes, this is Opie's forum. Actually, it's more like Keeb's forum lately. But I've earned that status. I make this forum seriously helpful. I have for years. People expect me to point out legit info and debunk nonsense so they can learn reliable info. This is why everyone comes to me for help. I get PMs and IMs from people I don't even know asking for info. My credibility is based on what I'm doing right here in this thread. People trust me to know what's what, and it's paid off for me by People wanting to pay me for services or work together on projects. I'm not doing it out of ego. I do it as a public service. I take pride in the fact that you can come to this dinky dink site for legit info and not step into a thread and get your head full of misinformation.

It's nothing personal. No one is safe. Being blunt and calling things exactly how I see them is just me. I'm not being arrogant or condescending. I'm being straight forward. You're being defensive instead of informative when pressed to show what you know. That's counterproductive here.

Battle Record
    24-10

well tbh i was just tryna be helpfull and post my opinion, theres not that many people who post replys in here. It wasnt my intention to mislead anyone, in fact i assumed the most misleading answer to the original poster would be to say there is a best software
    hence why i said its all preferance. i merely stated my preferance as an opionion not as a fact.

to answer your question, im not sure i can tell you why i prefer auditions editing, apart from i know how to do everything ive ever wanted to do with it, visually i prefer the display, i like the spectoral editing view, very cool. i picked it up quicker than protools or cubase which to me is a workflow bonus.

I suppose overall Audition is just easy to me, the overall layout is less cluttered and navigating around it is easy, i didnt like the windows in cubase.

Maybe the overall reason is just that, its simple, easy to pick up and understand yet does everything i need

the great irony is im actually planning on buying protools in the next few months along with reason/record when the new one drops.

Reason being audition is too unstable when rewired and its midi sucks ass.
    its a toss up between protools and cubase but i just couldnt cant handle cubases windows last time, maybe if i get dual monitors...
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

That's what I've gotten from other people. Audition is easier to learn than the others. This is because you have less freedom and capabilities. But if you don't know how to use them then what are they worth?

I'd say PT and Cubase are almost impossible to just pick up and figure out on your own. At a minimum it requires heavy use of the manual. I usually recommend an instructional DVD. There's a great set of them for both programs. Even then, you probably won't realize the full capabilities of Pro Tools tho. I used both for several years before I went to school. Cubase didn't go much deeper than what I already figured out. But the tools in PT blew my mind when I was shown all their potential. But that's what months of learning every aspect of a program will do.

I'm not a fan of the Cubase UI either. It's not too bad, but PT is a lot cleaner and minimalistic. Dual screens help a lot in both programs. I actually have a 42" monitor on the wall for my edit and mix windows and I keep my plugin, transport, and memory location windows on my 20" monitor. With that setup I can keep a lot more of the tracks and a lot more channel faders on the screen at once to avoid constant scrolling. And I can have a closer view of my plugins in front of me without staring up at a big screen.

If you're rewiring, you'll almost definitely want 2 screens just so you can keep each program on a different screen. If I did that a lot I'd have 3 screens.

You also won't have to bounce your Reason tracks when you rewire. You'll just stream the Reason channels to aux tracks in Pro Tools so you can add fx in PT and make your edits in your reason session. Much easier. And one of the benefits of Reason is that it's very lean so you don't have to worry about it taxing your computer resources too hard.

Learning these programs is like anything else. You don't know what you're missing until you learn. Like the $100 mic is the greatest thing ever example. It's the greatest until you realize what you were missing when you upgrade.

Battle Record
    24-10

The very reason i was using a lot of audio tracks is because of the bouncing to wav i had to do because of auditions instabitlity with rewire. So any daw thats stable with rewire will be good for me. Ive tried sonar too and it seems very similar to cubase, like overwhelming and cluttered.

Ive used protools at college and it is does appear more minimalist on the surface, but ive only done basic mixing, no more depth than ive done at home with audition.

i also considered just getting record 1.5 along with reason 5 to keep things simple, but i dont think i could cope with the lack of vst support. i tried the demo and its a pretty nice layout and follows the same layout as reason.
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

No vst support would kill me. Everything I do is vst. I don't like the vast majority of built in plugins.

Don't forget about Reaper. That's a free solution you can try. I've never used it, but it's gotten a lot of positive response and it's loaded with features.

I tend to lean toward stuff that has a lot of support and a large community of users. It's easier to get help and learn. And it makes collaboration easier. Collaboration is the only reason I still have Cubase. But even then, I bounce the tracks into PT lol