User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 16 to 30 of 87

Thread: Best recording software?

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

Re: Best recording software?

i dont always run out of audio tracks, but ive used nearly 60 before, its just having the option really...i might have 20 instruments and 5 vocal stacks for each verse, then 5 stacks for the chorus, on top of dubs, ad libs, intros, sound effects, anything else i want....yeh i know i can bounce bits down and mess around etc...

but thats not how i always work^
    im experimenting with my own production

but limited track count vs unlimited is a no brainer imo

like i said tho its just preferance and audition i started out on so its just easy to me, if i put the same time into another daw i would probably prefer that, all im saying is audition can get the job done just as well as any other imo.

i mean i bought cubase and reasoned that the learning curve was too steep and what was i actually gaining? so i sold it
    Last edited by Big Question; August 3rd, 2010 at 02:57 PM
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

60!? wtf...for what? Think the most I've used is 10-12.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

Ok, first of all... And I don't mean to sound condescending, but making a statement that Audition has better editing than other programs should only be made if you know how to use said programs. I know pretty much every mainstream program out there aside from Sonar. The editing in Cubase and Pro Tools is mindblowingly better. You just have no idea what better editing is because you have no frame of reference. Audition doesn't even have a tempo grid. Not being able to lock your session into a grid makes editing a huge pain in the ass. That's just one example. My take is that either you're not doing any advanced editing or you have no idea how much time and effort you're wasting trying to fight Audition. If you're comfortable with what you use then cool, but saying what you use is better when you don't know how to use anything else is highly inaccurate.

Secondly, there's no way that you need 60 audio tracks. What are you recording to need that many tracks? You'd have to be wasting tracks to use that many tracks on hiphop songs. You're recording 20 instruments in a song?? How do you even have that many instruments at your disposal??

Let me put it this way... When you pay $100+ an hour to record at a pro studio, they typically have 48 channels on their million dollar large format console. If you need more channels than a major studio uses just for audio tracks alone, not to mention your midi tracks, fx sends, busses etc then you're doing something way wrong. I really want to hear the songs that you record using all these tracks. It's very mind-blowing to me to hear a hip hop artist say he uses 60 audio tracks lol. Like I said, I record 5 piece bands and produce my own music. I've never used that many tracks in a session. And that includes midi, aux, and master tracks. Not just my audio tracks that I've never hit my 48 track limit on either.

And limited vs unlimited is not a no brainer. Pro Tools limits the tracks to the amount of I/Os that a computer can actually handle. And if you happen to own a $5-10k workstation that can handle more then they let you double your track count. Or you can get a Pro Tools HD system that can handle unlimited tracks because it uses it's own dsp instead of the power and memory from the pc.

All this ensures a more stable system that won't crash because you ran out of resources by doing things like adding too many tracks.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

Quote Originally Posted by .Bullet. View Post
    60!? wtf...for what? Think the most I've used is 10-12.
    For hip hop production I probably use close to that if I don't record live drums. 3-5 guitar tracks, 1 bass track, 3-7 vocal tracks, maybe a couple percussion or random instrument tracks. So at the very most, 15 without a drum kit or about 20 or so with a drum kit. But a typical beat maker that doesn't do live recording would rarely have ANY audio tracks aside from vocals or a sample loop.

For bands, I'll easily have 24 audio tracks. Most likely more if it's a 5 piece.

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

scratch that lol, why am i defending myself, i originally said audition is better to me and that it was a preferance, i`ll stick with that. If there comes a time when i feel limited ill look to another software im sure.

meh

but just to clear it up, 60 tracks would include all the instruments bounced down to wav from reason, plus vocals, buses, sends, etc.

and no thats not a normal amount, it might be around 30
    Last edited by Big Question; August 3rd, 2010 at 04:52 PM
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

I said whatever works for you. But you're giving advice. You're not stating that you like audition because it's what you know.

I don't care if you use windows sound recorder. But don't say it's better if it's all you know. This section of the site isn't for dropping posts just to share an opinion. This section is educational. So if you can't back your opinion with some substance then I'm going to make sure that people put your opinion into the proper perspective.

I don't know why you can't see the flaw in saying something is the best when you don't know how to use anything else. It's no different than someone saying their $50 mic sounds great because it's the only mic they've ever owned.

Not only that, you're stating uneducated facts about the other software. You're painting a picture that a watered down program is better than a full featured professional program. First by saying you like it better when you don't even know how to use anything else. You can't even point out specifically what's better about it. No substance whatsoever. Then you point out so called flaws in other programs that you don't even understand.

There isn't a 48 track limit in Pro Tools. There's a 48 AUDIO track limit. You can have as many midi tracks or aux tracks to add fx or rewire from other programs as you want. In PT, audio tracks are tracks where you record and play actual audio files. And each one of those tracks have an unlimited amount of playlists to record different takes and comp performances etc. You can't even do this in other programs so you wouldn't know how it works unless you actually use PT. Understandable, but that's why you don't try to educate someone about something that you're clueless about.

I tried not to argue. I gave you chances to explain your point of view. And I tried to be nice about it. But I'm not going to let anyone in this forum feed people false information. And I'm going to make sure that people are able to put everyone's opinions in context.

You like Audition. Great. A lot of people do, and for good reason. It's simple and easy to bootleg. But until you actually know how to use something else, you have no idea if it's better than anything. Sorry. I'm not arguing. I'm stating the facts so people can make educated decisions. That's what this forum is for. Not having an opinion for the sake of having an opinion.

:Vanja:

Touch My Beard Extinctor Draconis's Avatar

after working a session last night i hate the digital format all together. Yes it's easy to edit, you can fuck up your punch in and out points and still not ruin the session but digital zero still fucking sucks especially when the artist is not seasoned so he get randomly dynamic and starts getting louder and clips the shitload plus or gets too soft, plus i hate using any dynamic processing to tape. But if we were using analog tape i would give a flying fuck scream for all i care get some sex tape compression

*saves money for studer 827*
    De Kapitein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You've Earned a Custom Title! fo11's Avatar
    Battle Record
    11-14

lmao @ 20 instruments
    Buy Rap Beats

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanja Prime View Post
    after working a session last night i hate the digital format all together. Yes it's easy to edit, you can fuck up your punch in and out points and still not ruin the session but digital zero still fucking sucks especially when the artist is not seasoned so he get randomly dynamic and starts getting louder and clips the shitload plus or gets too soft, plus i hate using any dynamic processing to tape. But if we were using analog tape i would give a flying fuck scream for all i care get some sex tape compression

*saves money for studer 827*
    Muhfucka stfu with all your analog jibba jabba. Turn the damn input down. You should be no where near clipping when you're tracking.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Shiet, actaulyl what are some good techniques when tracking though, because sometimes when my bois record he clips the metre red on my interface just for like a word or 2. But when I play it in the program it never sounds distorted....

Shiet, actaulyl what are some good techniques when tracking though, because sometimes when my bois record he clips the metre red on my interface just for like a word or 2. But when I play it in the program it never sounds distorted....
    a lot of programs will give like 3db of headroom from hitting the red till an actual audible clip

if you don't hear it then it's fine a lot of people track with their eyes to much now days
    De Kapitein

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

Turn the preamp down lol

You shouldn't be tracking anywhere near clipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    Muhfucka stfu with all your analog jibba jabba. Turn the damn input down. You should be no where near clipping when you're tracking.
    i did but as the session went on he got quieter to fit the vibe of the track then all of sound BIG FUCKING YELL and he clips.
    De Kapitein

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Best recording software?

That's why I track around -20dB. You're not yelling loud enough to clip. You can also use a tube compressor before you go into the DAW to get the same analog effect you're used to getting.

i did used a LA2A

which is my go to vocal compressor
    De Kapitein