User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Mastering

Battle Record
    7-6

Mastering

What do you use? Currently I'm just using the limiter on protools. Maxim. I know it's not built for mastering, but if you know how to use it you can kinda do it.

I've heard good things about T-Racks. So what do you use?
    Follow at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Music --->>>>
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Banned

Re: Mastering

I don't think very many people here can truly MASTER a track. Just saying.

Battle Record
    5-3

adding a little bit of sheen to your tracks is cool...
    but it shouldnt be referred to as "mastering"...
    Mastering is a art that takes many years to learn, and a lifetime to "master". It's slowly becoming a lost art due to technology like "mastering plugins" making more and more people tink tey can "master" themselves, thus putting out shittier sounding music by the pound.

and i add a bit of compression in my low mids, and slight m/s eq'ing on my master fader myself... i use izotope ozone 4.
    Welcome to reality.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

I use this vst called izotope ozone 4.

I use a Multiband-Comp, EQ and a Limiter as my mastering chain..

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Word to Kris. Anything we do is simply a pre-master (if that). I know the hack job "mastering" on my BTN round 1 track I did in a rush RUINED my mix. When I heard what I actually did to it on some cheap speakers I couldn't believe I even uploaded it like that.

But word... Ozone is cool. I also like to use the Waves SSL Channel. I have some nice "analog" multiband compressors and EQs on my Liquid Mix too.

I've just started using a multitrack mastering technique that I first learned about from Mackie on here. Bounce down your mix into Vocal, Drum, Instrumental, and FX Stems and master those. You have a lot more control and can get a lot better sound a lot easier.

It's also a good idea to reference your mix on whatever formats you're using to distribute the song (MP3, CD, YouTube, etc) and make special adjustments to make those individual formats sound the way you want.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

So what your saying is to mixdown your vocals and instrumental together, convert it into a mp3 file, then master?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

NO. that's not what I'm saying. Master your original mix so the MP3 sounds better when you do convert it. For example... I want to put a song on soundclick. SO I mix, do a premaster and bounce the session. Then I convert to 128kbps MP3 (since that's what soundclick uses to stream) and upload to soundclick. Then listen to the stream and see what's missing or different from the original session. Then go back into your original session and adjust things accordingly so when you upload again it sounds better. This will probably take a few times before you're happy. Especially on YouTube.

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Oh, okay, I can see it now. Just like every situation needs different mastering like you would do on a, cd, vinyl etc. Just do individually on each track thing you release.

Touch My Beard Extinctor Draconis's Avatar

opie been meaning to ask you whats the chances of DVD-A becoming the new medium over cd's?
    De Kapitein

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

That would be the shit, but I highly doubt it. I think the new standard will be streaming audio. I'm pretty sure that we're going to end up with all our music in one central location, most likely online or backed up at home and we'll access it from our mobile devices. I'm actually already doing this from my PC using Simplify Media. Even my video can be streamed using slingbox. Streaming media is definitely where everything digital is going.

I doubt people will buy into a disc medium when they don't have to. People have proven that they'll almost always choose convenience over quality. Even I'm guilty of it and I'm an audiophile lol

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    Word to Kris. Anything we do is simply a pre-master (if that). I know the hack job "mastering" on my BTN round 1 track I did in a rush RUINED my mix. When I heard what I actually did to it on some cheap speakers I couldn't believe I even uploaded it like that.

But word... Ozone is cool. I also like to use the Waves SSL Channel. I have some nice "analog" multiband compressors and EQs on my Liquid Mix too.

I've just started using a multitrack mastering technique that I first learned about from Mackie on here. Bounce down your mix into Vocal, Drum, Instrumental, and FX Stems and master those. You have a lot more control and can get a lot better sound a lot easier.

It's also a good idea to reference your mix on whatever formats you're using to distribute the song (MP3, CD, YouTube, etc) and make special adjustments to make those individual formats sound the way you want.
    Opey, can you go into more detail on how to do this. What do you mean by bounce down your mix into vocal, drum, instrumental etc. Also I put my instrumental through adobe as a mp3 file. Should I convert it back to a wav.file to match my vocals then mixdown and master?

Battle Record
    7-1

Quote Originally Posted by .Bullet. View Post
    Opey, can you go into more detail on how to do this. What do you mean by bounce down your mix into vocal, drum, instrumental etc. Also I put my instrumental through adobe as a mp3 file. Should I convert it back to a wav.file to match my vocals then mixdown and master?
    He means render it or process it into an audio file preferrably wav and seperate them vocals from instruments, and if your instrumental is not a 2-track then speparate each of those as well when you mix everything together. If your instrumental started as mp3 dint bother converting to wav, it will not gain any quality.

Leave me alone

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Oh, so master each stem seperate then...

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

that sounds dope, so simple yet ive never heard of it, i guess its like using a multiband but with way more control, its almost like a mix on top of a mix
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection