Showing results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: 1 thing about EQ still confuses me

Battle Record
    12-18

1 thing about EQ still confuses me

FREQUENCY:
    USES:

50Hz
    1. Increase to add more fullness to lowest frequency instruments like foot, toms, and the bass. Peak equalization with a 1.4 Q.
    2. Reduce to decrease the "boom" of the bass and will increase overtones and the recognition of bass line in the mix. This is most often used on loud bass lines like rock. Shelf equalization

100Hz
    1. Increase to add a harder bass sound to lowest frequency instruments. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..
    2. Increase to add fullness to guitars, snare. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0..
    3. Increase to add warmth to piano and horns. Peak Equalization. For piano use a Q of 1.0. With horn use a Q of 1.4..
    4. Reduce to remove boom on guitars & increase clarity. Peak Equalization with a Q of 1.0 to 1.4..

^ I just wanna know like, in parts where it talks about lowering bass etc, do you apply that in the EQ of your vocals... or the EQ of your beat.. or does applying it in your vocals automatically lower the bass? I use mixed down mp3s mainly so I'm just real curious about this.. I've never put any EQ or anything on a instrumental..
    Last edited by Tebo; February 22nd, 2010 at 02:12 AM

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Re: 1 thing about EQ still confuses me

Opey told me before most instrumentals have EQ already on them. But word I hear you on this shit, EQ probably has to be the most hardest thing to learn/explain. You read anything on how to do it or something? If so link me to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    12-18

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php <-- theres 1 thing, I mainly pay attention to when it mentions vocals.. etc etc

also my EQ thread, it might be on page 2 now, has like 4 pages of ppl (Opey, Keeb & Big Q) giving some tips & advice on EQ

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

Good stuff. I wish they would show you pics though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fck What A Hater Gota Say BozKurt's Avatar
    Battle Record
    8-7

lol teboo you gotta bring those lows up dawg ... make ur voice a deeper for real .. go to youtube and search pro tools eq ... watch the video ... i learned alot fkcen around with eq my self

Battle Record
    0-2

aint really a certain way with it man...every piece of sound you EQ, is going to have different characteristics...if even if its your vocals your eq'ing every time.....i mean, after time ya ear just recognizes the problem frequencies in a sound, and u can use EQ accordingly...i mean if theres too much punch in ya voice....ya b's and p's and what not are poppin, u need to EQ that shit out....gotta get in the mid-lows and reduce the frequencies, but without disturbing the frequencies around them too much...
    if you got an instrumental that the bass isnt hittin hard enough, u just pump it from between 20-200hz...200 being the highest point...some basses need to be tweaked even higher, but when its a mixed down instrumental, your gettin into the snare and other instruments frequencies if your above 60-70hz....keep it between 20-40 and usually u wont effect nothin but the sub bass in it...wherever it sounds best for your ears is the best place/time to EQ man...if you know the purpose of the EQ, and you know how it functions, and you know the terminology to understand exactly what your doin...then the next step is to just do it....like anything else, the skill comes with time...the best way to learn it is hands on....not reading....dont get me wrong reading puts u on the right path....but youll never master it without just doing it...
    Last edited by Toobs; February 22nd, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Battle Record
    12-18

Quote Originally Posted by TOOBxSOCKS View Post
    aint really a certain way with it man...every piece of sound you EQ, is going to have different characteristics...if even if its your vocals your eq'ing every time.....i mean, after time ya ear just recognizes the problem frequencies in a sound, and u can use EQ accordingly...i mean if theres too much punch in ya voice....ya b's and p's and what not are poppin, u need to EQ that shit out....gotta get in the mid-lows and reduce the frequencies, but without disturbing the frequencies around them too much...
    if you got an instrumental that the bass isnt hittin hard enough, u just pump it from between 20-200hz...200 being the highest point...some basses need to be tweaked even higher, but when its a mixed down instrumental, your gettin into the snare and other instruments frequencies if your above 60-70hz....keep it between 20-40 and usually u wont effect nothin but the sub bass in it...wherever it sounds best for your ears is the best place/time to EQ man...if you know the purpose of the EQ, and you know how it functions, and you know the terminology to understand exactly what your doin...then the next step is to just do it....like anything else, the skill comes with time...the best way to learn it is hands on....not reading....dont get me wrong reading puts u on the right path....but youll never master it without just doing it...
    so when EQing a mix down mp3 instrumental, and say I just wanted to lower the bass in it, would I keep everything at 0 & just fuck with the bass settings in EQ?

Battle Record
    0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Tebo View Post
    so when EQing a mix down mp3 instrumental, and say I just wanted to lower the bass in it, would I keep everything at 0 & just fuck with the bass settings in EQ?
    yup...

Touch My Beard Extinctor Draconis's Avatar

why boost 20hz lmao every monitors frequency range starts at 40 or 60hz you'll never see a monitors that goes 20 to 20k.
    before touching the eq maybe burn a cd of the beat and take it into your car listen to how the low end translate in there.

but generally if you want more low end depth you boost the 60-100 hz. but a better idea would to experiment you know actually listen to you mix rather than type in numbers you got off the net. and who boost at 60 to 100 hz on vocals thats just ewwness
    De Kapitein

Battle Record
    0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El of Earth Prime View Post
    why boost 20hz lmao every monitors frequency range starts at 40 or 60hz you'll never see a monitors that goes 20 to 20k.
    before touching the eq maybe burn a cd of the beat and take it into your car listen to how the low end translate in there.

but generally if you want more low end depth you boost the 60-100 hz. but a better idea would to experiment you know actually listen to you mix rather than type in numbers you got off the net. and who boost at 60 to 100 hz on vocals thats just ewwness

well, i dont have monitors....but what i do have, responds at 20khz....only thing ive ever used since i started making music however long ago....its an old onkyo rack system....
    if i want some really low bass, i cut everything up from 50....and slop downward starting at 20....u may not do this, but i do....if u dont like it, dont do it...ima still do what i do....bumps mad nice when i do things this way...

well, i dont have monitors....but what i do have, responds at 20khz....only thing ive ever used since i started making music however long ago....its an old onkyo rack system....
    if i want some really low bass, i cut everything up from 50....and slop downward starting at 20....u may not do this, but i do....if u dont like it, dont do it...ima still do what i do....bumps mad nice when i do things this way...
    you have speakers that go to 20khz good for you cause most speakers do lmao what i said is no monitor and definitely no speaker or headphone starts their frequency range at 20hz.
    De Kapitein

Battle Record
    0-2

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El of Earth Prime View Post
    you have speakers that go to 20khz good for you cause most speakers do lmao what i said is no monitor and definitely no speaker or headphone starts their frequency range at 20hz.
    u just said good for me because all speakers do, and then said, no speakers do...in the same sentence...wtf r u talking about??? and yes...headphones as well...i go through headphones like cigarettes...so im constantly buying them, and i wont buy them, unless they start at 20...thats what i base my purchases on...
    monitors dont go down to 20...alright...cool...never owned monitors...and still through all this, i dont give a shit about what frequencies ya monitors hit.., ima do what ima do...

wtf is ya point here anyway??? why are you argueing with me??? do u need a self esteem boost??? were you hoping to make yourself look intelligent at the cost of someone else's stupidity..??? mightve worked if u were talkin to someone who had no idea what u were talkin about....
    go back to that other thread and argue with bullet...he likes argueing...im done from here...your starting to have a tendency of turning every thread u post in, into a battle of wits...get a girlfriend...will help your esteem more than this..

u just said good for me because all speakers do, and then said, no speakers do...in the same sentence...wtf r u talking about???
    i said no speaker goes to 20hz and i said most speakers go to 20khz, i don't see how they contradict, i figured that made sense

and yes...headphones as well...i go through headphones like cigarettes...so im constantly buying them, and i wont buy them, unless they start at 20...thats what i base my purchases on...
    no headphones start at 20hz you figure sub woofers push out 20hz all the way to 120hz i believe do you really think your that little driver in your headphones can pump out 20hz? then again why does it matter if it goes to 20 hz anyways lmao what instrument produces 20hz?oops found one harps produce 29hz will you be tracking some harps soon?

monitors dont go down to 20...alright...cool...never owned monitors...and still through all this, i dont give a shit about what frequencies ya monitors hit.., ima do what ima do...

wtf is ya point here anyway??? why are you argueing with me??? do u need a self esteem boost??? were you hoping to make yourself look intelligent at the cost of someone else's stupidity..??? mightve worked if u were talkin to someone who had no idea what u were talkin about....
    im not trying to make you look stupid at all it's just a discussion

go back to that other thread and argue with bullet...he likes argueing...im done from here...your starting to have a tendency of turning every thread u post in, into a battle of wits...get a girlfriend...will help your esteem more than this..
    one thread arguing with bullet who i add is borderline retarded some how turns into every thread im in lmoa
    my response
    De Kapitein

. Foolin' Forensics .
    Battle Record
    8-4

lol, why do you go through so many headphones anyway?

Battle Record
    3-2

when it comes to vocals, the adult male voice rarely registers lower than about 75hz... I tracked a vocal of mine, and then dropped ALL the frequencies completely out EXCEPT FOR 125hz and down... what I found was my voice barely makin' any frequencies below that... even if I tried to lower my voice I rarely dropped below 80hz... so, in my case, and since I have a fairly average adult male voice, when I eq my vocals I eliminate all frequencies below 100hz... totally cut 'em out... that makes room in the overall mix for lows, should I decide to boost the instrumental at all...