Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How do I improve?

You've Earned a Custom Title! iLLin L's Avatar
    Battle Record
    4-4

How do I improve?

My latest drop.
    [SOUNDCLICK]8554377[/soundclick]

How do I improve in audio? I've never done it before so.

Re: How do I improve?

an enclosed room, or a smaller enclosed room. The mic is picking your voice up off the echo of the room, no the direct intake of the sound. Thats what it sounds like. SPeaking wise you need to find a vocal stand point for yourself. Good flo, good shit bu a mic presence is what you need.

What program do you use to record with? Mic?

Battle Record
    3-2

you definitely want a smallish room to record...and put up some sort of sound treatment behind you AT LEAST... thick blankets stapled to the wall will make a fair amount of difference...

tell me what mic you use... describe your recordin' area... and what process you used to get the sound you got now... like what editing you did to the track...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    4-4

Okay so I record in my room.
    First I got my Audio technica AT2020 USB Mic.. and I got a pop filter right on it, almost touching. When I rap, I rap like a foot away.. i edit in audacity..
    first I go compression, and then noise removal, and thats it..

this is my latest piece, have i improved?
    [soundclick]8567386[/soundclick]

Battle Record
    3-2

if you HAVE to do noise removal, do it first... 'cause when you compress it will make the noise more audible if you do it your way... so FIRST, try to get your area nice and quiet... you might want your pop filter a little further away from the mic... set the volume of your mic when you record so that your peaks (the loudest parts on the waveform) hit around -10... then record like normal, try hard to maintain consistent distance from the mic dependin' on how loud you spit... if you gotta get louder in parts, back up slightly... if it's a more mellow and quiet part, lean in a bit... noise reduction should be used sparingly... use just enough to take away real noticeable noise when the background is silent... a slight noise shouldn't be terribly noticeable during the musical parts... so just enough to take away real audible noise, but not too much to where it gets that metallic "pop can" sound... when you compress, be easy... set your threshold just near your peaks, so you're only squashin' the peaks... start around 2:1 for your ratio, a little more if you're doin' a banger or club joint... attack and decay should be pretty fast, under 100ms, generally for rap... after this your vocal should sound a little quieter, so use your makeup gain (output compensation sometimes) to get the volume back up... just make sure not to clip... I like to use a very slight delay on my vocals, there's a mathematical formula to help you calculate just how much... MOST of the time on an average beat I'll end up around 9ms left and 10-11ms right... and then I turn the volume on the effect down, so it's just a hint for flavor... then a slight reverb is next for me... again, this is one for the math equation... for rap usually, reverb won't need to be heavy... just enough to kinda blend your vocal to the track... you want a closer reverb, not a stadium or a large hall or any shit like that, and you just want the reverb to help mix you in... not so much an "effect" in most rap cases... after that, it's mainly a matter of adjusting the volume of your vocals to fit in overall... I like to turn the main volume way down, so I can just barely hear the beat... bring the vocal all the way down, and then up slowly till it comes in and just about matches the beat when it's all quiet... that's a fairly good measure of the mix when it's louder... try usin' different speakers and headphones to compare several times...

the math equation for figurin' time-based effects like reverb and delay is:

60,000/BPM = 1/4 note

that's 60k milliseconds divided by the Beats Per Minute of the beat... you can count the beats per 20 seconds and multiply by three to find the BPM... the beats are one and two and three and four... so on... if you're noddin' your head in time, you should be feelin' the BPM...

after that, you'll generally have a figure around six-hundred some... which is a fair place to start for reverb, or even divide that in half to pull it closer... for delay I generally divide that by 64 to get in nice and tight... using multiples of four makes sure your timed effect stays on beat...

if I've worded some of this wrong lol, hopefully Opie will be around to straighten it out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

Also you should roll of all the low end on your vocal tracks using Eq...apply a high pass filter around 150hz, this will allow the vocal to sit a lil better.
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection

Battle Record
    4-4

What do you mean by this,

attack and decay should be pretty fast, under 100ms, generally for rap... after this your vocal should sound a little quieter, so use your makeup gain (output compensation sometimes)

Where would I find the attack and decay? And what do you mean by makeup gain? I can't find any of that in audacity.

Battle Record
    3-2

whatever compressor you use should have a setting for attack/decay, and also for makeup gain/output compensation... I'm not sure how it looks on audacity, maybe the plugin has another tab or somethin'... maybe post a screenshot of the compressor you're usin'... the settings and what not...

Battle Record
    4-4

Word, I'll post a screen of what I'm doing, tomorrow.

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

The compressor in audacity only has threshold, ratio and attack time options
    and an option to normalize to 0db after compression

and i dont think it has a reverb unit

I would suggest moving to another daw, try reaper or "aquire " AA3, cubase etc

if you want to stick to audacity id http://audacityteam.org/vst/
    enable vst`s and download some free plugins

these are good
    http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php
    A.I

Hip Hop Uk Resurrection