User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Give Me A Break

Give Me A Break

Are the conservatives seriously going to pick at everything? Do they not understand that he's being respectful to another country? If he is the first president to do this least he's showing an imagine that Americans are not total assholes. He probably took off his shoes too! OMG let's impeach him!

Outrage in Washington over Obama's Japan bow

WASHINGTON (AFP) – News photos of President Barack Obama bowing to Japan's emperor have incensed critics here, who said the US leader should stand tall when representing America overseas.

Obama on Monday was in China, having wrapped up the Japan leg of his Asia trip two days earlier. But Washington's punditocracy was still weighing whether or not the US president had disgraced his country two days earlier by having taken a deep bow at the waist while meeting Japan's Emperor Akihito.

Political talk shows have played and replayed the moment from the second day of Obama's week-long Asia tour, which set the blogosphere on fire and chat show tongues wagging.

"I don't know why President Obama thought that was appropriate. Maybe he thought it would play well in Japan. But it's not appropriate for an American president to bow to a foreign one," said conservative pundit William Kristol speaking on the Fox News Sunday program, adding that the gesture bespoke a United States that has become weak and overly-deferential under Obama.

Another conservative voice, Bill Bennett, said on CNN's "State of the Union" program: "It's ugly. I don't want to see it."

"We don't defer to emperors. We don't defer to kings or emperors. The president of the United States -- this coupled with so many apologies from the United States -- is just another thing," said Bennett.

Some conservative critics juxtaposed the image of Obama with one of former US vice president Dick Cheney, who greeted the emperor in 2007 with a firm handshake but no bow.

"I'll bet if you look at pictures of world leaders over 20 years meeting the emperor in Japan, they don't bow," Kristol said.

Some said the gesture was particularly grating coming after Obama's bow to Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah at a G20 meeting in April.

The US president's Asia trip comes just over a year after he won election to the White House, and is designed to shore up US power in a region increasingly dominated by rising giant China.

But back home, Obama's bow in Japan seems to have grabbed much of the attention being paid to the trip.

The gesture appears to have touched a particularly raw nerve among Obama critics who said the president has hastened America's decline as a world superpower by being too apologetic and too deferential in his dealings with other world leaders.

While most of the commentary about the bow in Japan was decidedly negative, some political observers, like longtime Democratic activist Donna Brazile, came to the president's defense.

"I think it's a gesture of kindness," she told CNN, adding that the bow appeared intended to show "goodwill between two nations that respect each other."

Meanwhile, an unnamed, senior Obama administration official told the Politico.com news site that the president had simply been observing protocol.

"I think that those who try to politicize those things are just way, way, way off base," the official told Politico.

"I don't think anybody who was in Japan -- who saw his speech and the reaction to it, certainly those who witnessed his bilateral meetings there -- would say anything other than that he enhanced both the position and the status of the US, relative to Japan," Politico wrote.

"It was a good, positive visit at an important time, because there's a lot going on in Japan."
    Last edited by Sandy; November 16th, 2009 at 01:54 PM

Battle Record
    18-13

Re: Give Me A Break

oh noes dont bow barack god damnit why did you have to BOW?!?!

/killsself.
    The Legion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HoF x5

smh

doesnotexist

lol he respects other peoples cultural practises....he's the devil

Battle Record
    12-8

ZOMFG

*runs and hides*

come get me when it's all over...

I swear some of these people think we live back in the imperialistic days when America was all about fucking other countries over.

Wait....

Battle Record
    13-5
    Awards Legendary Member Legendary Battle Legendary OM OM HOF

Wow. Didn`t even know about this shit. That`s shameful. On the people who are complainin`s part, not Obama`s. They`re bitchin` because he was bein` respectful to another country`s leader? Seriously? Where`s Wayne Brady when you need him to smack a bitch?

A.i

*Click one of ^those to check out my music and shit

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaniard View Post
    no one should be surprised, these are the same people who reported on the terrorist fist jab

[YOUTUBE]_771yhp3G0E[/YOUTUBE]
    Lmao I remember when that was such a big fucking deal. People are so retarded I swear.

doesnotexist

I'm changing my opinion and agreeing that he shouldnt've bowed.

lolz @ the litle guy

Last edited by doesnotexist; November 17th, 2009 at 11:37 PM

doesnotexist

at first it seemd just like some respectful little greeting...slight head down type of bow is what i pictured.....but its an all out "you iz mah masta" bow. you don't bow to someone who didn't bow to you too. it's a subservient bow in their eyes, you bow to someome higher then yourself. this is how it was explained by a guy from there.

also, putin and a bunch of others were there, none of them bowed, and the japanese didn't bow to them.

they're supposed to be equals. even though this guy is emperor of an empire that doesn't exist anymore lol so obama is way above him.

plus it just looks "servant" like when you actaly look at the pic, and everyone else standing tall. bad image. if my president did it for no reason, when nobody else is doing it, id probly dislike it too.

I think it was the right thing to do and respectful of the culture. I bet he was taken back by it and appreciated it.

Battle Record
    1-1

it looks like he bowed that much accidentally
    cause he didn't bow that much to the woman, wow but why make a big deal out of this

doesnotexist

well the emperor did a normal bow when you watch the video, but Obama did an exaggerated one like you see on stereotypical TV and movie shit. maybe he's just a bowing newb.

[YOUTUBE]xyV2lVHUiGo[/YOUTUBE]

btw...i don't care if putin and others didn't bow at all, they aren't exactly the symbol of respectable foreign relations.
    i dont se the emepror bowing....i see himlooking down going 'wtf" reacting to obamas bow. probly a bit suprised since nobody else did it.

yes they are lol putin especialy and russia are respected...power is respected. they have rurope under their thumb, they are neighbours with japan....they know eachother well. their power is respected.

not weakness. which is what obama showed when he did it especialy after he did it to the arab dude too and americand didnt like it. im not even condemning him for that first one, but when he saw the reaction he should know.

being the only one to do it, is odd. can't deny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I think it was the right thing to do and respectful of the culture. I bet he was taken back by it and appreciated it.
    except in their culture equals dont engage in one sided bowing. bowing to him suggests he's above you. and he didn't even bow back.
    Last edited by doesnotexist; November 18th, 2009 at 03:44 PM

doesnotexist

I don't get how you had no problem with the arab guy, but this one is suddenly bad. There is literally no difference in what happened.
    i said i can understand making the mistake the first time with the arab guy, but doing it again, after he saw how his country reacted...kind of dumb.

But sure you can apply the same to the arab guy, if nobody else did why did Obama. But like I said, at least that was the first time, and you can say "oh mistake, didn't know better". A second time can't be anything but intentional, knowing what the reaction might be. At least the Arab guy was of more importance to the US so sucking up to him has a point.

just look at the pic, the video, it looks weak. I'M not losing sleep over it, he's not my preisdent. And of course republicans nitpick everything, but this time I don't think he should've, so I understand the complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bosniak View Post

except in their culture equals dont engage in one sided bowing. bowing to him suggests he's above you. and he didn't even bow back.
    I really wouldn't consider them equals and it's not always the case the other party has to bow back. I think he was taken back by it and didn't realize but since he is the elder and higher in status he doesn't have to bow. If i bow to my grandparents I am showing them respect and they do not bow back.

If the person is higher status or older than you are, it's common to bow deeper and longer, showing respect.

The most informal bow is a bend of about 15 degrees for a casual greeting. In casual daily life situations, bowing is often a nod of the head. The most common type of bow is done to a 30-degree angle to greet customers or to thank someone. It's often seen in Japanese business situations. A more formal way of bowing is performed to a 45-degree angle looking down at your feet. This type of bow signifies deep gratitude, a respectful greeting, a formal apology, asking for favors, and so on.