User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Need a "rap voice"

Need a "rap voice"

My voice is low and raspy, Kind of like...freakin Lindsay Lohan, but lower, I can't rap, and when I do I don't sound good at all. I seriously need help on my voice being more BAM! and WHAM!:hosea2:

Battle Record
    1-3

Re: Need a "rap voice"

I'd say the best way to go about finding a good rapping voice is to lay down a beat you can loop infinitely and record segments of yourself doing different voices until you find one that you like. I'd say the most important things about finding your rapping voice is:

1. Comfortable - use a voice that is easy for you and doesn't put too much strain on your throat. You'll develop muscle memory and it should start being as natural as your talking voice.
    2. Consistency - find a voice that you can do the same in a few weeks that you can tonight. When I was first starting I would have a night of recording where I was really happy with how my voice was sounding and I would go back the next day and wouldn't be able to mimic the same style as the previous night.

Alternatively, listen to the rappers you like and try to (not necessarily copy) impersonate them to a degree where you can get used to using your voice in that way. Listen to how they enunciate and any accents you may like and use this in your own voice.

Rarely do people start out with their rapping voice their first time writing anything. It's like a singing voice in that it takes time to develop. So don't get discouraged if you can't get the exact sound you want first time around, because it will come in time.

-The Wordplay Wizard- Purcepshun's Avatar
    Battle Record
    11-9

nobody really really likes there voice the first time they here it recorded, ya feel me... simple as that, but the more you get use to it the more you'll grown on it.....dont be tryin to change the way your voice sounds, it'll only make u sound worse

straight up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I been recordin for over a year and i have the same prollem. My delivery sucks lol. I often sound like im just recitin somethin. Ppl say i sound like a robot.

The thing is tho that you dont want the same voice all the time i dont think. I mean if you on a smooth ass beat.. id imagine ud wanna sound different than if u were on a more hard hittin hyped up one rite?

I always wanna sound different every time i rap so f any advice i can offer... listen to each beat and attune ur voice to each one. And if u accapella... attune to the flow or content of ur bars.

i DOUBT u just want one rappin voice. Or maybe you do and im just talkin bout delivery of voice thereof... idk joe lol. If you just talkin of a default voice to rap with I dunno... that depends on ur speakin voice lol. The Novacs advice sounds good to me. But id say make sure u sound as different as possible.
    Last edited by RhythmAndPoetryF; October 29th, 2009 at 04:57 PM

Battle Record
    7-0

every one has an distict voice all you got to do is practice an develope your own flow

Battle Record
    13-5
    Awards Legendary Member Legendary Battle Legendary OM OM HOF

Lol a "rap voice"? Your voice shouldn`t really vary that much from when you talk to when you rap. What makes it seem like it is is because you`re puttin` more emotion/feelin` into it. Or you should be at least. Other than that, then you can`t really do anythin` besides fake a different voice. Like listen to a lot of known rappers. They don`t sound much different when they rap than they do when they talk. It`s just somethin` you gotta learn how to mean what you say when you rap. Cuz if you sound like you`re just readin` off a piece of paper then it`s cuz you are just readin` off a paper. Make the lyrics your own. And if you got a lindsay lohan voice than that`s what you got. Unless you ain`t hit puberty yet lol.

A.i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Click one of ^those to check out my music and shit

Battle Record
    1-3

Nahlidge, I disagree. I think a part of being a vocalist, regardless of genre, is about experimenting with different styles and finding different sounds that you can use to fit different styles of music. I say don't be afraid to use your voice in ways that rappers may not conventional use their voices in, you know, don't fall victim to the monotone trend.

This goes back to my original response of finding styles that are comfortable and you perform consistently. Regardless of how you use your voice, people will be able to tell it's you. My point isn't to fake your voice, but become confident and don't be afraid to really let loose. There's a lot more options than just your talking voice.

RhythmAndPoetryF said it well, "you don't want the same voice all the time". Experiment with different styles and don't think you're a "fake" just because you aren't afraid to do something different.

definitely don't just emulate your favorite artist. art itself should be one's own creation, done in their own style.

that being said, don't try TOO hard. be calm and collected. relaxing does wonders for delivery.

trial and error. this is how nature itself operates, trial and fucking error. record a sample. sounds shitty? try again. still shitty? try it another way. practice doesn't always make perfect, but you gotta sharpen a sword if you want it to cut. just work on your style until it's sharp and ready to fuckin brutally decapitate weak minded emcees. werd as jamez bond

You've Earned a Custom Title! KiiD ExClusiivE's Avatar
    Battle Record
    0-2

alot of people can write but cant spit,,my advice to you is to find your comfortable spot like everyone else sayd,,you cant really tell someone how to spit,,just be consistent
    "You think You nice on a microphone? but get a vest cus da only mic you gettin on is attached to your chest"-KiiD

You've Earned a Custom Title! thatKidB's Avatar
    Battle Record
    6-14

Quote Originally Posted by Purcepshun View Post
    nobody really really likes there voice the first time they here it recorded, ya feel me... simple as that, but the more you get use to it the more you'll grown on it.....dont be tryin to change the way your voice sounds, it'll only make u sound worse

straight up
    thats how I used to feel about my voice............but now I know its beautiful like a dandelion

seriously
    Slap shit out ya word, must look like a joke to ya/
    Pull out the knife and watch it poke through ya/

Sean Price (Mad Man) Monkey Barz

wtf is a rap voice? Just spit in your voice, Unless your going for a Later years eminem sound like your skitz lol.

check out my new instrumentals
    http://www.rapbattles.com/forum/show...516/index.html

Axis Powers
    Battle Record
    1-0

One word, autotune.
    I'm so fly, they sent for a swat team to stop me.

HenceForward.

Battle Record
    1-3

Quote Originally Posted by Seyance View Post
    One word, autotune.
    Lol, thanks for the laugh first thing after waking up.
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned."
    -Leonardo da Vinci

Currently listening to:
    [YOUTUBE]N6Z4XG6kZss&feature=relatedc[/YOUTUBE]

try deeping your voice than rap or get a lil crunk just mess around with your voice til you find one that you comfortable with
    E.T. "Born Hungry Mixtape" Coming Soon

Thumbs up Re: Need a "rap voice"

Seriously, no jokes, I literally just made this account, to thank you for your advice. I'm an emcee in a rap group/band called "O.g. Zombie", and I've been stuck on my voice with this one fucking beat. Most beats I've got the voice down no problem, but this one beat, has just been fuckin my world up. So, all of this, is just to say thanks dude, your advice literally just saved my song.