User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Mayweather PPV DESTROYS UFC Numbers..

Battle Record
    7-1

Mayweather PPV DESTROYS UFC Numbers..

Mayweather Humbles Dana White

Outspoken UFC president Dana White was very vocal over the last two months in stating the Floyd Mayweather's return PPV bout last Saturday (September 19) would be a flop. In particular, White taunted that Floyd’s style was “boring” and Marquez was a “nobody,” two ingredients which he thought would ensure UFC 103 would come out on top in the first head to head PPV matchup between boxing and MMA.

But as the great orator Shawn Carter states, “men lie, women lie, numbers don’t.” The Mayweather-Marquez PPV was a shocking success, with a staggering 1 million PPV buys. The unexpected figure rebuffed boxing critics as well, who regularly insisted Floyd wasn’t a draw and could only sell with other big names like Oscar De La Hoya and Ricky Hatton.

"To all the non-believers who have been saying that Floyd Mayweather is not a draw, hopefully, this will silence them,” Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer told Yahoo Sport’s Kevin Iole. “Floyd Mayweather has proven with these numbers that he’s the No. 1 pay-per-view star in the business. I said all along my goal was to break 1 million homes and so many people said I was nuts and thought it was just hype or that I didn’t know what I was doing. Media members kept talking about boxing is dying, but we knew what we had and we stayed the course in the end, we have been vindicated.”

Dana White gave boxing credit, but framed the lopsided numbers as the result of UFC 103 being the company’s 4th PPV in 10 weeks.

“I’m an emotional guy and if we’d only have done 100,000, or barely above 100,000, I would be suicidal. Bottom line, we did a good number and we still got our asses kicked,” he stated. “What they did was phenomenal and I’m happy for them. This was our fourth pay-per-view in two months (actually 10 weeks) and we still did a great number, but this was only their second all year. We honestly thought we’d do our number and that if they knocked it out of the park, they’d do around 650,000. We are ecstatic with the number we did, but they did a huge, huge number…I’m a true boxing fan and I’m happy for them, but what that number they pulled shows is the promise of combat sports.”

Hopefully going forward, both sports will take a more reasonable approach of working together instead of the counterproductive antagonism we've see on both sides. Just think of the money pot for a Mayweather/Pacquiao and Fedor/Lesnar double headliner PPV (I know, it'll never happen).

Battle Record
    7-1

Re: Mayweather PPV DESTROYS UFC Numbers..

well, dana has proven himself an idiot once again...

UFC needs a better face...

You've Earned a Custom Title! Dyl's Avatar
    Battle Record
    30-11
    Awards 25+ Wins

had that dana white prick....boxing for life baby
    Heard about the guy who fell off a skyscraper?
    On his way down past each floor,he kept saying to reassure himself
    So far so good.....
    So far so good.....
    So far so good.....

But how you fall doesn't matter
    Its how you land

Battle Record
    7-1

im not gonna make it into a ufc versus boxing thing..

there is no such thing as a Basketball Versus Baseball thing..

the the whole football versus soccer shit is old..

BUT like i said...UFC deserves a better face...Dana is a dumb ass and he's fucking with his fighters careers on top of being a retard...

Dana is a retard, it was obvious the mayweather fight was going to get more views. It was a waist to watch though. I want to see him get a good fight, where there is a chance he will lose. His last 4 fights were in a way easy to predict. Just my opinion, im no guru at this shit.

Battle Record
    46-9
    Awards Legendary Member 25+ Wins OM HOF LLL HOF LLL Champion - Award Request Accepted Cypher Winner

dana's an idiot for that initial prediction because 103 was a terrible card.
    Been a real one.

Battle Record
    12-18

Lesnar Vs Fedor is only way it would beat a top top boxing ppv, on the same night

Battle Record
    26-9
    Awards PS Champion/IE Champion PC HOF PS HOF PS Season champ OM HOF Legendary PC

yeah, I fucking hate Dana... but he's a business man and he's done well with the UFC.
    I dont like watching boxing much, mostly because I've done BJJ and MMA for like, 8 years, but still, I respect 1 million PPVs.

Lets hope the trash talk is over.

Battle Record
    12-1

The UFC card was shit anyway. It wasn't even a good card, and neither was the one before that.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    3-4

Of course Mayweather is gonna out-draw a rather mediocre UFC PPV lol.. but I don't think Dana really gives a fuck, 400,000 buys for 12 events a year > 1 million buys for 2 events a year.

Battle Record
    1-5

Quote Originally Posted by composed View Post
    Dana is a retard, it was obvious the mayweather fight was going to get more views. It was a waist to watch though. I want to see him get a good fight, where there is a chance he will lose. His last 4 fights were in a way easy to predict. Just my opinion, im no guru at this shit.
    Are you kidding me that match was the shit, he basically showed that he is still a fcuking monster did you see how stupid he made marquez? omg, every combination marquez threw he would only land 25 percent of those punches. on the other hand i view UFC as a cable t.v sport like WWE. i will only watch it if spike tv is playing it.

Battle Record
    21-6

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannus View Post
    Of course Mayweather is gonna out-draw a rather mediocre UFC PPV lol.. but I don't think Dana really gives a fuck, 400,000 buys for 12 events a year > 1 million buys for 2 events a year.
    idiot...

but good stuff MoneyMayweather
    [/url]