User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Inglorious Basterds and WWII

doesnotexist

Inglorious Basterds and WWII

A good fun "alternate history" kind of flick but, it got me thinking how many people in the theater actualy thought it ended something like that? Lmao.

I mean what do most people (especialy on Rb) really know about the biggest conflict in history?

Do most people even know who was Allies who was Axis powers?

I get the impression most people just think "oh teh evil Germanz and some Japz" against the world.

Do they know what the Waffen SS is, why and when Jews started getting killed, who else got killed along with them, who was worse then the Germans ever were, why one scumbag (USSR) is celebrated, the other scumbag forever just a black stain on history (Nazi Germany), or how many GERMANS died trying to resist Hitler's regime.....

Alot of ineresting subjects here....does anyone have anything they're curious about or like to discuss? I love the subject.

*watches thread sink faster then a rock*

Battle Record
    7-1

Re: Inglorious Basterds and WWII

i think the general consensus is that people know enough about world war 2

when i saw the movie...the theater was populated with a lot of old people...and surprisingly some young kids that obviously came with the old people..

i brought my brother in law to see it who really wanted to see it..and he's only 16..and even he knew more then average about the subject at hand...

the movie gets some shit wrong....but it was still a fun watch...

btw i don't think you'll get a lot of people wondering if shit that happened in the movie actually happened in real life..

but all in all...i still agree with Hitler..jews are filthy

Battle Record
    18-13

WWII is my favorite history subject. I still haven't seen the movie, but I plan to. I personally love learning about this time because you see one of the most immoral and genius dictators take almost absolute control over most Europe, and it shows just how powerful one man can be, even a "evil" man if he has influence. The one thing I find interesting, and much overlooked was the Japanese camps in which they did very, very harsh and crazy war crimes on the Chinese, some things even the jews didn't experience. It wasn't at nearly a high scale but it was happening. Did you know why the Japanese were so favored by Hitler? Because he said the Japanese only come second to the Aryans and that he deemed them worthy of alliance, now If he would have succeeded, would he have kept the japanese as pets, or tried to destroy them? Idk, I'm just glad we didn't get that far to find out.
    The Legion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HoF x5

Battle Record
    26-9
    Awards PS Champion/IE Champion PC HOF PS HOF PS Season champ OM HOF Legendary PC

I think the political makings of WWII is whats interesting... What put germany in that place? How did Hitler come to power? What with anti-semitism? Where did come from? How did the church in germany respond?

Its interesting I admit... I dont think people have a real clue to be honest though.
    Did Eli Weasel go on Oprah because he heard that 60% of highschool students didnt know what the Holocaust was?

fact check: didnt the soviet soldiers keep the death camps running sometimes after they 'liberated' them?

doesnotexist

Quote Originally Posted by Utsuri View Post
    WWII is my favorite history subject. I still haven't seen the movie, but I plan to. I personally love learning about this time because you see one of the most immoral and genius dictators take almost absolute control over most Europe, and it shows just how powerful one man can be, even a "evil" man if he has influence. The one thing I find interesting, and much overlooked was the Japanese camps in which they did very, very harsh and crazy war crimes on the Chinese, some things even the jews didn't experience. It wasn't at nearly a high scale but it was happening. Did you know why the Japanese were so favored by Hitler? Because he said the Japanese only come second to the Aryans and that he deemed them worthy of alliance, now If he would have succeeded, would he have kept the japanese as pets, or tried to destroy them? Idk, I'm just glad we didn't get that far to find out.
    Hitler was as loose on his racial policy as he needed to be. First it was just "Aryan" Germans who are the "master race", and Jews, Slavs and Blacks at the bottom. Then when the war started to look a little uncertain, the German army wasn't what it used to be, all of a sudden foreign Waffen SS divisions are being used. Usualy from people he was saying were inferior, like Croats, Bosnians, Cossacks, Latvians, Ukranians etc. All of a sudden they found ways for all those people to be pure Aryans as well. Bulgaria was a axis power even though technicly "inferior". Independant State of Croatia was a VERY EAGER AND HAPPY helper of Hitler. The stuff they did even shocked Germans soldiers.

In the end, it's all business, what gets results. And an alliance with the Japanese was very logical and beneficial. For one both saw the Soviet Union as a threat. Both were expansionists at the time. The outcome of the war is important, all that racial jibba jabba is secondary. Before that , Germany had an alliance with China. But yes lastly, the Japanese, from a German Nazi point of view were also a very "superior" people. They were given "honorary Aryan" status. Basicly "Aryan" had more to do with social and international standing then just racial shit. He would've neve kept the Japanese as pets lol. They wou;d've always ruled that part of Asia had they been succesfull. Germany could've never realisticly ruled the whole world itself. Those are some post war exagarations and fantasy theories. Slavs came the closest to being pets, since he wanted to kill most and keep the remainder as slave class.

Another thing people don't know is the racial policy had nothing to do with skin color really. North African Berbers were declared Aryans.
    Last edited by doesnotexist; September 10th, 2009 at 02:41 AM

doesnotexist

Quote Originally Posted by Spoken Deity View Post
    I think the political makings of WWII is whats interesting... What put germany in that place? How did Hitler come to power? What with anti-semitism? Where did come from? How did the church in germany respond?

Its interesting I admit... I dont think people have a real clue to be honest though.
    Did Eli Weasel go on Oprah because he heard that 60% of highschool students didnt know what the Holocaust was?

fact check: didnt the soviet soldiers keep the death camps running sometimes after they 'liberated' them?
    World War I made World War II possible in almost every way. From the causes and attitudes to Hitler himself who served in WWI.

As for the Soviets, they were worse then Germans. Complete animals.

One thing you can say about the Wehrmacht (the regular German army) is that they were a professional army of beasts. The best army in the world at the time. These weren't all some horrible evil Nazis, just soldiers doing fighting a war that at the time didn't have this mythical "evil" aura as we see it today. The Waffen SS is what ave rise to most of the "evil" war criminal shit. The point is, even at their worst, these were "gentlemen" for lack of a better word.

While the Soviets were nothing but a pack of hicks with guns. Most of the battles they had against Germany, they won only by having endless hordes of bodies to throw at them. They could never even BEGIN to compete with the Germans in military skill or quality of individual soldiers. They just had endless resources and complete disregard for their own people.

When they took Berlin, they raped everything in sight.

Soveit Union is responsible for more direct civilian deaths and crimes then Germany and Stalin is worse then Hitler.
    Last edited by doesnotexist; September 10th, 2009 at 02:44 AM

Battle Record
    18-13

Stalin was definitely worse than Hitler, dude didn't give a shit about anything but himself.. and sometimes, didn't even care who knew it.
    The Legion

HoF x5

doesnotexist

Stalin was definitely worse than Hitler, dude didn't give a shit about anything but himself.. and sometimes, didn't even care who knew it.
    Stalin deported the whole Chechen nation to Siberia. Litteraly. They only returned like 15 years later, after like a third of them died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operati...%28Caucasus%29

And they wonder why to this day they can't get along and Chechens revolt every chance they get.

Russians are pussies individualy though. If it wasnt for the sheer size and climate of the country it would've been conquered many times over. Napoleon would've done it, and the Germans would've done it. Winter stopped them. The Mongols did it, cuz they were hardy enough for the conditions and used it to their advantage.

Battle Record
    18-13

Russia is just a big ass wasteland. the USSR was very overrated. Stalin was evil but he was smart. He waited for the perfect time to make his move and its what helped us win the war. And it helps a shit ton if you got soldiers ready to die for nothing aka mother russia..
    The Legion

HoF x5

doesnotexist

Russia is just a big ass wasteland. the USSR was very overrated. Stalin was evil but he was smart. He waited for the perfect time to make his move and its what helped us win the war. And it helps a shit ton if you got soldiers ready to die for nothing aka mother russia..
    they knew if they dont preform, they'll be shot by their own commanders. its fear, not just patriotism that motivated the commies.
    Last edited by doesnotexist; September 10th, 2009 at 04:44 AM

shhhh. i got warrants.
    Battle Record
    9-11
    Awards LLL HOF

well you guys arent the only ones who went to school.

fuck you man, nazi germany was an abomination. i could give a fuck less about some "hick russians" who werent trained and skilled like the wehrmacht were. nazis, to me at least, werent just demons because of the holocaust, but because of all they're occult loving, diabolical mad scientist freak human experimentation latent homosexual ways. there's NO WAY you can tell me that at that time russians were worse than germany.

you say russians were evil too, but nazis took it to a whole other level. i've seen documentarys based soley on their scientists and the shit they tampered with. UNGODLY.

so yea. stop sugar coating nazi germany please.
    blackeloheimannunakirap

Battle Record
    7-1

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny the G View Post

fuck you man, nazi germany was an abomination. i could give a fuck less about some "hick russians" who werent trained and skilled like the wehrmacht were. nazis, to me at least, werent just demons because of the holocaust, but because of all they're occult loving, diabolical mad scientist freak human experimentation latent homosexual ways. there's NO WAY you can tell me that at that time russians were worse than germany.

you say russians were evil too, but nazis took it to a whole other level. i've seen documentarys based soley on their scientists and the shit they tampered with. UNGODLY.

i don't think anyone was sugar coating shit...

everyone knows how fucked up the germans were...not everyone paid attention to the russkies and their fucked up ways...like vanja said...beasts...real animals...

but either way...you find yourself captured by one or the other...you're gonna die..or you're gonna wish you did

doesnotexist

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny the G View Post

How did I sugarcoat Nazi Germany?

What I basicly said was

Germany = jack the ripper
    USSR = backwoods hilbilliy cannibal

It's the truth.

Blah soldiers too at the time. Just alot of cannonfodder, the Russians. The Germans relied on skill and a superior military force.

And again this wasn't just Germany Lol They had tons of allies. Romanians, Hungarians and Croats were way worse and more cruel. Just couldn't do it on the scale Germany did.

werent just demons because of the holocaust, but because of all they're occult loving, diabolical mad scientist freak human experimentation latent homosexual ways.
    The occult shit is greatly exagarated although yea some prominent Nazis had a real interest in it, but mostly in racial theories. Yes they did experiments on the handicapped, twins, jews, gypsies etc. Nobody denied these things.

And yet they did them to the "enemy". While USSR killed off millions of it's own people, let alone others. Mass deportations (of like 10 different peoples), mass starvations, gulags, ethnic clensing, genocide, no freedom of religion, communism itself and it's effect in the world like vietnam, russian invasion of aghanistan and the crimes they comitted there, the collapse of the Soviet Union and all the bullshit that spawned...

Then again the shit they did to German, Polish and other civilians in WWII. The shit they did to their own soldiers.

lol so this is like arguing which pice of shit stinks more.

like 70,000 Germans died in resistance to Hitler, Germany lost the war and cleansed itself of all that Nazi shit forever. Russia is pretty much the same, just updated.
    Last edited by doesnotexist; September 10th, 2009 at 02:00 PM

Battle Record
    212-103
    Awards LLL Season Champion LLL HOF 200+ Wins

WWII is a very fascinating subject...

I watch that shit all the time on History, Military History, Discovery...
    Pretty much everytime something's related to the topic, I try and peep it.

It's a harsh lesson in what government power out of control can lead to.
    Why freedom of speech is so important. The freedom to disagree and call out your leaders.
    Without that right, that freedom to protest.

You get tyranny. Everytime.
    And tryanny leads to disaster, genocide, mass murder. Everytime.

I mean, do most cats even know that Winston Churchill, basically, the hero of WWII on Britain's side...the man who dropped that great speech...this speech...

4 June 1940

"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
    we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
    we shall fight on the beaches,
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;
    we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

Do you cats know, that before the war...Churchill was banned by his own country, the BBC, for speaking out against the then fledgling Hitler and his own country's ignorance as to where he was heading?

You GOTTA be able to call your government out.

That's one of the best lessons I got outta WW2.

What if Churchill hadn't been banned? What if he'd been listened to?
    That shit mighta prevented alot of horror.

doesnotexist

Well there seems to be some interest in this topic...and since ww2 has so many individual topics to discuss... endless...makes me wonna expand on this somehow..

some interesting facts here:

World War 2 Facts

* The first German serviceman killed in the war was killed by the Japanese (China, 1937)
    * The first American serviceman killed was killed by the Russians (Finland 1940).
    * 80% of Soviet males born in 1923 didn't survive World War 2
    * The highest ranking American killed was Lt. Gen. Lesley McNair, killed by the US Army Air Corps.
    * Between 1939 and 1945 the Allies dropped 3.4 million tons of bombs, An average of about 27,700 tons of bombs each month.
    * 12,000 heavy bombers were shot down in World War 2
    * 2/3 of Allied bomber crews were lost for each plane destroyed
    * 3 or 4 ground men were wounded for each killed
    * 6 bomber crewmen were killed for each one wounded
    * Over 100,000 Allied bomber crewmen were killed over Europe
    * There were 433 Medals of Honor awarded during World War 2, 219 of them were given after the receipiant's death
    * From 6 June 1944 to 8 May 1945 in Europe the Allies had 200,000 dead and 550,000 wounded
    * The youngest US serviceman was 12 year old Calvin Graham, USN. He was wounded in combat and given a Dishonorable Discharge for lying about his age. (His benefits were later restored by act of Congress).
    * At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top US Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced "sink us"), the shoulder patch of the US Army's 45th Infantry division was the swastika, and Hitler's private train was named "Amerika". All three were soon changed for PR purposes.
    * Germany lost 110 Division Commanders in combat
    * 40,000 men served on U-Boats during World War 2; 30,000 never returned
    * More US servicemen died in the Air Corps that the Marine Corps. While completing the required 30 missions, your chance of being killed was 71%. Not that bombers were helpless. A B-17 carried 4 tons of bombs and 1.5 tons of machine gun ammo. The US 8th Air Force shot down 6,098 fighter planes, 1 for every 12,700 shots fired.
    * Germany's power grid was much more vulnerable than realized. One estimate is that if just 1% of the bombs dropped on German industry had instead been dropped on power plants, German industry would have collapsed.
    * Generally speaking, there was no such thing as an average fighter pilot. You were either an ace or a target. For instance, Japanese ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa shot down over 80 planes. He died while a passenger on a cargo plane.
    * It was a common practice on fighter planes to load every 5th found with a tracer round to aid in aiming. That was a mistake. The tracers had different ballistics so (at long range) if your tracers were hitting the target, 80% of your rounds were missing. Worse yet, the tracers instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from which direction. Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of tracers at the end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. That was definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy. Units that stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double and their loss rate go down.
    * When allied armies reached the Rhine, the first thing men did was pee in it. This was pretty universal from the lowest private to Winston Churchill (who made a big show of it) and Gen. Patton (who had himself photographed in the act).
    * German Me-264 bombers were capable of bombing New York City but it wasn't worth the effort.
    * A number of air crewmen died of farts. (ascending to 20,000 ft. in an un-pressurized aircraft causes intestinal gas to expand 300%!)
    * Germany lost 40-45% of their aircraft during World War 2 to accidents
    * The Russians destroyed over 500 German aircraft by ramming them in midair (they also sometimes cleared minefields by marching over them). "It takes a brave man not to be a hero in the Red Army". - Joseph Stalin
    * The average German officer slot had to be refilled 9.2 times
    * The US Army had more ships that the US Navy.
    * The German Air Force had 22 infantry divisions, 2 armor divisions, and 11 paratroop divisions. None of them were capable of airborne operations. The German Army had paratroops who WERE capable of airborne operations.
    * When the US Army landed in North Africa, among the equipment brought ashore were 3 complete Coca Cola bottling plants.
    * 84 German Generals were executed by Hitler
    * Among the first "Germans" captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and forced to fight for the German Army until they were capture by the US Army.
    * The Graf Spee never sank, The scuttling attempt failed and the ship was bought by the British. On board was Germany's newest radar system.
    * One of Japan's methods of destroying tanks was to bury a very large artillery shell with on ly the nose exposed. When a tank came near the enough a soldier would whack the shell with a hammer. "Lack of weapons is no excuse for defeat." - Lt. Gen. Mataguchi
    * Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 US and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska. 21 troops were killed in the fire-fight. It would have been worse if there had been Japanese on the island.
    * The MISS ME was an unarmed Piper Cub. While spotting for US artillery her pilot saw a similar German plane doing the same thing. He dove on the German plane and he and his co-pilot fired their pistols damaging the German plane enough that it had to make a forced landing. Whereupon they landed and took the Germans prisoner. It is unknown where they put them since the MISS ME only had two seats.
    * Most members of the Waffen SS were not German.
    * Air attacks caused 1/3 of German Generals' deaths
    * By D-Day, the Germans had 1.5 million railway workers operating 988,000 freight cars and used 29,000 per day
    * The only nation that Germany declared war on was the USA.
    * During the Japanese attack on Hong Kong, British officers objected to Canadian infantrymen taking up positions in the officer's mess. No enlisted men allowed!
    * By D-Day, 35% of all German soldiers had been wounded at least once, 11% twice, 6% three times, 2% four times and 2% more than 4 times
    * Nuclear physicist Niels Bohr was rescued in the nick of time from German occupied Denmark. While Danish resistance fighters provided covering fire he ran out the back door of his home stopping momentarily to grab a beer bottle full of precious "heavy water". He finally reached England still clutching the bottle, which contained beer. Perhaps some German drank the heavy water...
    * Germany lost 136 Generals, which averages out to be 1 dead General every 2 weeks