User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 92

Thread: How about 1 month for murder?

Battle Record
    1-0
    Awards WOP Champion

How about 1 month for murder?

Or vehicular manslaughter. W/e. Donte Stallworth just reached one of the most epicly hilarious plea deals I've seen. 30 fucking days in jail for killing a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN.COM

MIAMI -- Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth took full responsibility for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida and began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter.

Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth attorney Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.

Stallworth, 28, told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy that he hopes to get involved in drunken driving education programs.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. "I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

Stallworth faced 15 years in prison. After his release from jail, Stallworth must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.

The NFL has said it will review the matter for possible disciplinary action. Lyons said the plea agreement will allow Stallworth to resume his football career.

Stallworth must also undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment.

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle cited Stallworth's lack of previous criminal record, cooperation with police and willingness to accept responsibility as factors in the plea deal. Rundle also said the Reyes family -- particularly the victim's 15-year-old daughter -- wanted the case resolved to avoid any more pain.

"For all of these reasons, a just resolution of this case has been reached," Rundle said.

None of the Reyes family attended the hearing. Their attorney, Rodolfo Suarez, read a statement saying the family wants to "bring closure to this emotional and tragic event." Suarez was not immediately available to comment after the hearing.

After a night drinking at a bar in Miami Beach's Fountainebleau hotel, police said Stallworth hit Reyes, a construction crane operator who was rushing to catch a bus after finishing his shift around 7:15 a.m. Stallworth told police he flashed his lights in an attempt to warn Reyes, who was not in a crosswalk when he was struck.

Stallworth had a blood-alcohol level of .126 after the crash, well above Florida's .08 limit. Stallworth stopped after the crash and immediately told officers he had hit Reyes. Police estimated Stallworth was driving about 50 mph in a 40 mph zone.

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before last season but was injured much of the year. The California native and University of Tennessee college star has also played in the NFL for the New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints.

The night before the crash, Stallworth earned a $4.5 million roster bonus from the Browns.

David Cornwell, a Stallworth attorney handling the NFL situation, said he has kept top league officials apprised of the case.

"Whenever it is appropriate to do so, we are prepared to discuss the circumstances under which Donte' will resume his career," Cornwell said.

A.I.

"She managed to extract from the restriction itself a further delicate thought, like good poets whom the tyranny of rhyme forces into the discovery of their finest lines."

Cypher Sadist
    Battle Record
    37-15
    Awards AOTW 25+ Wins VBL Champion Legendary Member ABL Season Champion ABL Champion OM HOF

Re: How about 1 month for murder?

No fucking justice whatsoever... jesus cripes you guys got one fucked up judicial system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CypherAlumni

Vincent | Sammy | Vallus | Dose Blotter | Onceawhile | Virbius | Bag Mandela | Celph Taut

I hope I become famous so I can kill people.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Merk Squad
    Battle Record
    52-32
    Awards Legendary Battle Haymaker Maddnes Champion - HM 3 winner 50+ Wins Legendary Member OM HOF LLL Champion LLL Season Champion LLL HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Taut View Post
    No fucking justice whatsoever... jesus cripes you guys got one fucked up judicial system.
    who's the chic in your avy?

savoir
    Battle Record
    18-6
    Awards LLL Season Champion LLL HOF

Quote Originally Posted by $pitacular View Post
    who's the chic in your avy?
    Myleene Klass

Battle Record
    37-24

Honestly - its not that far fetched....

the way i see it...

they took into account

the man was crossing the street, not in a cross-walk = illegal.

the family obvioulsy didnt want to extend the trial, otherwise IM SURE they could of got a heftier sentence.

Yes, it was his fault, but he did not intend on killing him.....

and 1 month in jail. but look at everything else he has to do...

no license
    1000 hours of community service
    2 years house arrest...

and I am POSITIVE he will be paying A HIGH amount of cash to the family...
    which is why he can avoid years in jail.

...^^so some him payin his regret to society and to the family is better than rotting in jail.

and the way it seems, the family thinks it is a suitable punishment

SO,

YES I AGREE 1 MONTH ..should prob be more like 1 year.

but it is what it is...the family sees it to be fitting.

so how bad can it be.

*waits for ppl to hate - even though, they will argue for the sake of being hot-headed*

Succeed Without Fear

Written Voices

Battle Record
    212-103
    Awards LLL Season Champion LLL HOF 200+ Wins

I hate to say this...

But justice isn't being served for one reason and one reason alone.

The family would rather have the money.

They coulda denied any agreement, pushed for the maximum sentence...

But I'm sure the NFL got invloved, attorneys...
    And said...ok...

If you push for the maximum, the NFL isn't gonna stand behind this guy and catch that kinda negative attention. They'll dump him and pull whatever money they can BACK from him for not meeting his contract obligations...meaning he'll be next to broke.

So, once he's sentenced to whatever kinda sentence he gets...THEN you can hit him with the civil suit. However, at that time, he'll have no NFL paycheck...so the family will only get a pittance compared to what they'll get if they push to drop everything and settle out of court.

That way, the NFL doesn't dump him, thus not recalling that 35 million + 4.5 million dollar bonus...

Now the family can have a piece of THAT, instead of a piece of Stallworth himself, sans his cash.

Simple.

I dunno...being that he's the husband/father/provider...
    He's now doing his job better than ever before...he just had to die for it.

Sad.

But this is our culture. Fuck justice, let's get paid any possible way we can.

Battle Record
    1-0
    Awards WOP Champion

^^^truth. Well said.

A.I.

"She managed to extract from the restriction itself a further delicate thought, like good poets whom the tyranny of rhyme forces into the discovery of their finest lines."

Battle Record
    37-24

I also think the family was willing to take some pity on him...

strip of his cash and make him pay his debt to bettering society > strip him of his entire life
    Succeed Without Fear

Written Voices

Banned
    Battle Record
    21-3

damn I hope their this leanient with me when I go to court for my second DUI and I didn't even kill anyone.

Merk Squad
    Battle Record
    52-32
    Awards Legendary Battle Haymaker Maddnes Champion - HM 3 winner 50+ Wins Legendary Member OM HOF LLL Champion LLL Season Champion LLL HOF

Born, it isn't that simple.

What's justice? Your definition of justice seems to be, punishment for the person who committed the crime with no regard to the actual outcome of the situation.

Even though the family who lost a father, husband, ect, would get NOTHING. What, is the satisfaction of the perp going to jail supposed to replace the pain of the loss? And anyone who has any spirituality is going to need to forgive that person at some point, so what are they left with? No dad/husband, no money, and no resolution. Just someone they love is gone, and some other dude they never met and no longer hate is in jail (or out by that time..)

In my opinion, justice WAS served in this case.. dude made a mistake, owned up to it, lost his license for at LEAST five years if not life, eased the families suffering by giving them a lifestyle they NEVER would have had (I'm sure the settlement was for Millions, probably changed their life immensely) and served some jail time. Plus he's offering to help programs to prevent people from making the same mistake.

How could it have worked out better for either side? Shit went down as it should (for once...)

just my two cents.

word, I think its fair.

its whats best for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Ntalek View Post
    damn I hope their this leanient with me when I go to court for my second DUI and I didn't even kill anyone.
    if your under 23 the judge is gonna have his or her fucking way with you!

Battle Record
    12-8

if this were an episode of law and order, the dead guy's kid would have had Stallworth at gun point in the park until Mariska Hargitay talked him into a pool of tears and got him to put the gun down...then Christopher Maloni would have tackled him into a park bench.

Merk Squad
    Battle Record
    52-32

Quote Originally Posted by phlymo View Post
    Myleene Klass
    thanks man. she's smokin