User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Compression brings up hiss?

You've Earned a Custom Title! Nihilist's Avatar

Compression brings up hiss?

I use noise reduction on my vocals.. the recording is pretty clear, but then when I compress it.. I get a faint hiss in the background because I think the compression is bringing up the noise levels of the hiss.. is there anyway I can stop the compressor from doing this?

It's like.. the recording will be quiet.. then when I start speaking.. they'll be hiss in the background, then it goes when I stop speaking..

Can anyone help me with this? It's really ruining my quality.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Re: Compression brings up hiss?

you can use a multiband compressor to just compress the frequencies that need the compression. Also, you're probably compressing too much if it's that drastic of a change.

Battle Record
    3-2

also, try recordin' at a much lower volume... just turn up the volume knob on the track so you can hear yourself in the headphones, but actually turn down the mic... that will help reduce noise in itself... and when you use noise reduction, if you're gettin' hiss you're usin' too much... I think that hiss will go away though if you record lower first, and then amplify the signal later...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Word, thanks for the advice Keeby / Opie.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Quote Originally Posted by KXL View Post
    also, try recordin' at a much lower volume... just turn up the volume knob on the track so you can hear yourself in the headphones, but actually turn down the mic... that will help reduce noise in itself... and when you use noise reduction, if you're gettin' hiss you're usin' too much... I think that hiss will go away though if you record lower first, and then amplify the signal later...
    Actually, for hiss it would be the opposite problem. The hiss sits really low at the noise floor of the track. If you're getting a lot of hiss then recording at a higher volume will distance the actual sound your want to record from the hiss. The problem is that the compression is raising the noise floor and revealing the hiss. Recording at a higher volume will mean less boost you have to do with compression, revealing less hiss on the track.

What you SHOULD be focused on is figuring out where that hiss is coming from in the first place. Fix the problem at the source. That might mean buying new gear tho. What gear are you using right now?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Labtec-98018...9337084&sr=8-2

Lol..

I'm going to upgrade to a Blue Snowball hopefully, do you have any experience with this microphone?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

that will most likely solve your hiss problem. just make sure you buy a long usb cable so you can record away from your computer. a lot of your signal noise is coming from your computer and anything else making noise in the room.

Aye, it's just one of those printer cables right? The one it comes with I doubt will stretch into my cupboard, will it affect anything if I don't use the original cable it came with?

My headphones don't stretch that far either, damn!

EDIT:

About the Snowball mic, it's a considered a pod casting mic right? How will it manage rapping aggressively, loud volumes? I'm guessing it will hold up?
    Last edited by Nihilist; August 4th, 2009 at 03:44 AM

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

cable doesn't matter. the max USB cable length you're supposed to use is 15ft. you can buy a 25ft headphone extension from Guitar Center for a few bucks too.

I don't know much about the snowball. I've used the AT2020 tho. It sounded nice with my vocals. Blue makes good mics tho. I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds good. either way, you can buy it, try it, and exchange it if you don't like it. That's really the only way to find the right mic anyway.

Word, thanks homie.

Congratulations on your legendary status. Btw, was that you skydiving in the video of "Leave This Planet"? If so, you've got balls of steel.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

lol word. That shit was mad fun.

I've used the AT2020 tho. It sounded nice with my vocals.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the USB version of the AT2020?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

I haven't tried the usb version. It's the same mic tho. it just has an A/D converter built into it.

You've Earned a Custom Title! kloqwyse's Avatar

I'd be worried that the Snowball would create some low frequency harmonic distortion or have a boost in the low end just based off design. The AT2020 usb looks nice. I guess it's cool cuz you got A/D conversion right in the mic. Only downside is that it's 16-bit 44.1khz. I like going 24/48 or 24/44.1 for the headroom. I work with some loud emcees. haha. Plus even at 15ft, the usb wouldn't stretch to my "booth".

I guess this thread isn't about me tho. haha. If you think it's a good solution for you, I'd go for it on a short term basis. In the long run tho, I would go the more classical route with an analog mic and a nice pre-amp. You can even get Pre-amps with digital outputs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHECK THE CUSTOM BEATS
    [SOUNDCLICK]8260815[/SOUNDCLICK]

Can you even return microphones? I've heard that you can't return them after trying them out due to health reasons..