User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to NOT use phantom power on my Saffire..

You've Earned a Custom Title!

How to NOT use phantom power on my Saffire..

i got my Focusrite Saffire, and my Rode K2 on the way in the post...

The man that sold me it, said to me . " DO NOT use the Phantom Power input/switch on your Focusrite for the K2 . as its already powered. I understand this, and knew already, but ive looked at pictures of the saffire here -

http://www.idjnow.com/ProductImagesLarge/SAFFIRE.jpg

and i cant see where is the phantom power??, and if i didnt use the phantom power input where else would i plug my XLR mic cable?. i should really wait till i recieve everything so i can work it out, but i dont want to break the K2 as its cost me nearly a weeks wages.

PLEASE DONT TELL ME A NEED A SEPERATE PRE-AMP..

cheers RB ,

Battle Record
    3-2

Re: How to NOT use phantom power on my Saffire..

the bottom button that says 48v is your phantom power button... you still plug the mic in like normal, just don't turn on that switch... use the power source that comes with the mic... good mic choice, by the way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

and don't turn the mic on until AFTER it's plugged in. Never plug in or unplug a mic that still has phantom power going to it.

ok thanks. it will never have phantom power going to it tho opey, as i wont turn the switch on. but ill make sure i switch off the power supply i get with the k2 before unplugging it. and plug it in , before switching on the power source.

thanks guys. i didnt realise htere ws a switch to switch on/off the P.Power, ill just have to make sure i never flick it on by accident s my mic will go pop .

Battle Record
    5-3

its not gonna pop...
    its just gonna over amp the signal and cause heavy distortion and could potentially damage your hardware
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Ethix-UK View Post
    ok thanks. it will never have phantom power going to it tho opey, as i wont turn the switch on. but ill make sure i switch off the power supply i get with the k2 before unplugging it. and plug it in , before switching on the power source.

thanks guys. i didnt realise htere ws a switch to switch on/off the P.Power, ill just have to make sure i never flick it on by accident s my mic will go pop .
    The power supply is the phantom power that I was referring to. You're not using the phantom power on the interface, but you're still using it with the power supply. Phantom power just means power supplied thru the mic cable.

You got the right idea tho.

ahhhhhhh ... i see. i thought phantom power was a term for power supplied thru the pre-amp/ A.I. . now i get ya. and it was worth while you pointing it out, as i now understand the whole thing better.

- im going to change the tube at some pont also. i know i should just enjoy the Stock Tube in the K2 ,but i know theres a chance of changing the tube and making it sound even nicer .. and ive read so much about Mullards, Amperex , some Siemans, and Telefunken tubes making the NTK & K2 alot smoother and warmer. i think any 6922,ec88 etc etc tube will be nicer than the stock one you get with it. from what ive read on other forums about people hearing nice improvments in sound. each to their own though, but something to experiment with in the future.

i do realise im thinking about changing things before even having a full setup ! lol , just getting excited. cant wait to get my hands on the k2 and start recording with it. ill probably over the sound anyway, so changing the tube will be the last thing on my mind

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Don't think of it in terms of sounding nicer. It will sound different. Some mic characteristics sound good for different things and others don't. You can have a $600 mic that sounds better for your voice than a $3000 mic. You have to be careful with what you buy. You don't want to just throw down a bunch of money on something just because people say it's nice. It might be nice, but is it nice for you? The only way to know is to hear it for yourself.