User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Shure BG 1.1 is it any good?

You've Earned a Custom Title! Mode Silver's Avatar

Shure BG 1.1 is it any good?

I recently got hold of a Shure BG 1.1 microphone. Will the output of me spitting on this mic be upto a standard? Basically is it any good for recording a decent rap acapella?

Waiting for reply!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You've Earned a Custom Title! MaiTreya :Air's Avatar

Re: Shure BG 1.1 is it any good?

is it a usb mic? if so better have a mac to go with it

Nah it ain't a usb mic.

Here's a picture: http://smarthomesolution.net/buy-Sell/SHURE-BG-1.1.jpg

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

It's a very obscure and cheap consumer microphone like what would be packaged with a karaoke machine. It probably sucks. But the only way to tell is to use it. Don't know why you'd ask Rap Battles how your mic sounds when you have the mic and can just plug it in.

Opey the thing is I've never used a mic like this before. I usually record with one of those cheap ass conference microphone, so I didn't have anything to compare it to.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Well it might be better than what you had. Just try it. It was free. It's not going to be a great sounding vocal mic. This should be obvious. But you have to test it to see if it's a step up for you.

Yeah I'm gonna record something tonight and see how it turns out. Even if it's not what I want I think a good mix might help enhance the whole thing.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

A good mix starts with a good mic.

Ah I'm fucked then lol. But yeah I've been going through the mixing tutorials in this forum. I'll just try to get the best out of what I have.

Battle Record
    3-2

one tip, don't turn the mic up way loud when you record... doin' that will 'cause it to pick up more noise... even if you think your vocals are too quiet, you can make up for it later... keep it low to get a slightly cleaner recording... try to make your area as quiet as possible... hang a few blankets up... prep is worth the time...

Aite thanks for the tip man.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Quote Originally Posted by A Keeb Called Quest View Post
    one tip, don't turn the mic up way loud when you record... doin' that will 'cause it to pick up more noise... even if you think your vocals are too quiet, you can make up for it later... keep it low to get a slightly cleaner recording... try to make your area as quiet as possible... hang a few blankets up... prep is worth the time...
    No no no no no. You want the strongest signal possible. No matter what level you record at the room noise will be there in direct proportion to the volume of your source. Recording at a lower volume actually makes it worse because you still have the same room noise but you now have to boost the volume of the recorded signal which boosts the noise floor of your signal too. So now you have to fight room tone and signal noise.

The only time you want to limit your preamp gain is if you reach past about 75% of the total gain on the preamp. Electronics get more noisy the closer they get to 100% of their possible output. About 75% is the nominal level for amplifiers and most other electronics. Nominal level means that the electronic was designed to work best at this level. This is why Unity gain (or 0db) on mixer channel faders is marked at about 75% up on the fader. Take a look at any mixer, including the mixer inside your recording program or audio interface software. You should never exceed Unity gain on any preamp. This goes for mic pres, hardware and software mixers, guitar volume knobs, amplifiers etc.

What you can do to limit room noise is turn the preamp gain up louder and talk softer. This will limit the reflections in the room by limiting how much your voice is bouncing off the walls. But the softer you speak, the closer you will have to get to the mic. This only has the potential of providing minimal help. The only true way is to block reflections from getting to the mic by treating your recording area or constructing a vocal booth.

Young generation is love the rap and here is competition of rapper that who is the best. I can find he boomessay and here all are share the best rapper music that who rap it best and also check that who win or lose.

Cypher Sadist
    Battle Record
    37-15
    Awards AOTW 25+ Wins VBL Champion Legendary Member ABL Season Champion ABL Champion OM HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Opie M. View Post
    No no no no no. You want the strongest signal possible. No matter what level you record at the room noise will be there in direct proportion to the volume of your source. Recording at a lower volume actually makes it worse because you still have the same room noise but you now have to boost the volume of the recorded signal which boosts the noise floor of your signal too. So now you have to fight room tone and signal noise.

The only time you want to limit your preamp gain is if you reach past about 75% of the total gain on the preamp. Electronics get more noisy the closer they get to 100% of their possible output. About 75% is the nominal level for amplifiers and most other electronics. Nominal level means that the electronic was designed to work best at this level. This is why Unity gain (or 0db) on mixer channel faders is marked at about 75% up on the fader. Take a look at any mixer, including the mixer inside your recording program or audio interface software. You should never exceed Unity gain on any preamp. This goes for mic pres, hardware and software mixers, guitar volume knobs, amplifiers etc.

What you can do to limit room noise is turn the preamp gain up louder and talk softer. This will limit the reflections in the room by limiting how much your voice is bouncing off the walls. But the softer you speak, the closer you will have to get to the mic. This only has the potential of providing minimal help. The only true way is to block reflections from getting to the mic by treating your recording area or constructing a vocal booth.

Miss help like this.

CypherAlumni

Vincent | Sammy | Vallus | Dose Blotter | Onceawhile | Virbius | Bag Mandela | Celph Taut