User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: SoundCards

SoundCards

I just wanted to know, how important is a good sound card for good recording quality? and how are they rated? I mean, video cards are rated by mb but what is it for soundcards?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Re: SoundCards

Yes. They're rated by sample rate and bit depth. But that's about as reliable of a spec as GPU memory. Soundcards aren't rated by any one technical spec.. just like video cards.

Alot goes into them, dynamic range, sigal-to-noise ratio, total harmonic distortion (THD%), Input noise, etc.

Google the topic...you'll find alot there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(You should all check this out)

^will do. thanks for the info lads.

just one more thing;
    which is more important for good recording quality, a better mic or better soundcard?

both to an extent...your audio recordings will be as good as the weakest link in your chain, try, if possible, to spend an equal ammount on the two.

And really, mor eimportant then which one mic to get, is having a cabinet of mics to switch and get the best tone for the situation at hand, which is understandably difficult to a home enthusiast. Your best bet is to go to your local guitar center (or equivilant) and ask if they allow testing mics in the store, it's really the only way to know how a mic will sound with your voice; which is important, because some people may sound better on a $300 audio-technica then they do on a $1000+ Nuemann...

well, I wanted to record something on a shitty mic first to see if my voice was right for spittin at all. would a cheap one still give me a good idea of how I would sound overall?

Battle Record
    33-5

you need an audio interface
    Stat

Your voice won't sound the same on a $20 mic and a $500 mic...the mics color the sound entering them, which is why it's important to get high quality equipment.

On that note, if you don't even know if you'll sound any good, why invest anything at all?

There are some things, though, that a shitty mic will tell you..
    1) Whether or not you can spit in the first place...for some reason, I don't get it, but I've known plenty of people who can hold a rhythm without a beat, but once they hit a mic in a studio, they get all jittery and screwy...it's wierd.
    2) Whether or not you'll take it seriously enough to invest top dollar into your shit. Maybe the idea of recording and mixing is really comforting..but the reality is that sometimes it's a very frustrating ordeal...especially if your equipment (PC, Mic, whatever) is subpar and prevents you from doing something that you'd really like to. You may get bored with it after a bit, and there's no point in spending $2000 on shit over a year's period just to turn it all into paper weight.

I am willing to invest alotta shit in this....if my voice is right, and that's the problem cuz I don't know if it is. I have no idea how I sound on a mic, just been writing and writing.
    how did you know that your voice was right to do this in the beginning?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

go to a studio

^wouldn't have a clue where to find one anywhere near me.

Anyway, Im going to buy a new computer soon, probably monday. is there anything inparticular I should ask for included in it? Should I just ask for one with a good sound card for recording?

At the risk of sounding a bit srcastic...I have ears, man...I can hear me speaking, so I could tell my voice wasn't too annoying, or squawky, or wretchy, or nasally...so I said "fuck it" and bought a shit mic and a shit mixer...after a while, I decided I'd record other people to get by, even if (and especially if) rapping doesn't pay...so Now I'm in school for the shit, and I'm investing every dime I save into my beautiful studio...

It doesn't sound like you're too passionate about the art of recording, so I wouldn't nvest dick in it if I were you...but get a computer with a new, fast processor (prefferably a Quad Core, or the new Core i7 if you're a baller), At least 2Gb of RAM, if not, more...and a nice sized hard drive for your core programs to run on, 250 Gb is a good place to start...add an extra hard drive in the future for seperating your audio files and program storage if you find that it's something you wish to further pursue.

google.com

^^amazing