User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 16 to 30 of 63

Thread: buying a new pc

You've Earned a Custom Title! Paragon's Avatar
    Battle Record
    1-1

Re: buying a new pc

That's great Opey, I appreciate you doing all that! I'll be going over this and I'll provide a full response soon enough.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Big Question View Post
    nice shit opey.
    only thing id say is 400w psu is i would not go lower than 600w on a quad core beast like that, not worth the risk when your talking a grand.
    but id like to hear bout that xp you use.

i tweaked vista ultimate and got it to 3.5gb, its much less cpu intensive than the full version however its not quite as stable...
    have you disabled everything in your version, like everything whatsoever or is it still usable as a multipuropose os, or is it only suitable for audio now?
    400W is more than enough. 600W is the minimum for dual CPU workstations.

My Windows configuration can run any program. Vista is an absolute no no for a studio pc.

Battle Record
    1-1

ive heard dat ASUS motherboard are kinda shity.. i got a GIGABYTE... but i mean MOBOs is w/e

what id be lookin for tho is expansion slots ? no? for the audio interfaces?

nice load Opey i might look into gettin my ass a Studio PC

n also ders a whole wack of programs i had just like nLite ill try n PM u dem if i find em...

will deff look thoo

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

I only use Asus boards. They're not shitty. They're stable. Motherboard choice is important.

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

Quote Originally Posted by ...Opey... View Post
    400W is more than enough. 600W is the minimum for dual CPU workstations.

My Windows configuration can run any program. Vista is an absolute no no for a studio pc.
    no...but yeah id rather have xp like i said before but my needs aint all that great at the moment, i have vista slimmed down and im only running AA3 and my pc copes easily
    Last edited by Big Question; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:30 AM

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

No about what?? lol

Battle Record
    24-10

no about 400w lol.

thats scary

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Sweetwater makes some of the best studio PCs on the market. They use 380W PSUs. I've built many studio PCs. I've never used anything less than 440W unless it's a Xeon workstation. None of my PCs have ever had a single hardware problem. You can ask anyone on RB who's had my PCs in their home setups for years. And last year in college, I learned the exact same info.

I know what I'm talking about. I've been putting computers together since like 92 lol

Battle Record
    24-10

what im sayin is theres no logic when the diff between a 400w and 600 watt of the same type is prolly about 20 quid lol.

Ive built lots of pc`s also.. but your gon get angry if i carry on so you win lol

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Actually the difference is about $100 if you're buying good quiet PSUs. The higher the wattage, the harder it is to keep quiet.

And besides cost, more power equals more heat. It makes no sense to use a PSU that's too large. All you're adding to the system is heat.

I have no reason to get angry. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Battle Record
    24-10

not really..im sticking with about 20 quid..

and even if it was 100 dollars thats not a lot if ur pating 1500 for the pc

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Don't tell me what parts cost. I just looked up all the current prices for this breakdown. Link me to an inexpensive 600W PSU. I guarantee it's loud and/or cheap. Regardless, the shit is completely unnecessary and adds nothing valuable to the system.

And this guy is trying to sped $800 on a system. If it was a $1500 system, it would be a Xeon workstation and it would NEED a larger power supply.

Dude, just stop wasting my time. I'm trying to help people. You're trying to argue nonsense to seem informed. Hushhhhh.

Battle Record
    37-24

The wrath of opey!
    Succeed Without Fear

Written Voices

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

lol.

Tell me that's not exactly what we learned in CMI tho lol

You've Earned a Custom Title! Paragon's Avatar
    Battle Record
    1-1

I read everything the day you posted it, and didn't reply right away because there's a lot of shit to discuss since I don't want to fuck it up lol

I have many questions, but I'm getting really high right now so I may forget something.

That case is pretty bad ass. How loud is a regular pc case compared to a quiet one? if its not a significant enough difference, I mean, I record in my walk in closet, which has one of those double doors and is about five feet away, recessed into the same wall the desk is against
    --------|
    --------|
    closet <-|-----5 ft ---| PC
    -----------------------------------

unless i'm just freestyling with some friends, then i'll just have my mic set up in my room and just play beats on realplayer and record it all like that

for the video card, when I checked newegg for the one you mentioned, I got a few different brands to pick from, ranging from $59-$121, i dont know whats good

i couldn't find the asus p5k-e at newegg or tigerdirect, don't really know too many parts places but i think its been discontinued, but there were pk5 pro and p5q motherboards with similar features, 102.99 and and $129 respectively...

that lite-on lightscribe dvd burner isn't available anymore either, i don't think , but there was a lite-on model iHAS220-08 22x lightscribe for $27.99

there was a duo E7300 for the same price as a 7200, but it didn't have many ratings on it and the 7200 had a bunch of positive so I don't know if it sucks more for some reason or what.

oh, on some processors, like the quad Q6600, under the cache spec it has L1) 128 + 128 and L2) 2 x 4 MB

what's that about?

hard drives - I was thinking of just getting the one 80 gig and perhaps getting an external that has both usb and firewire, usb so I can get my old audio files, school stuff, music, etc from this computer i'm using now, and the firewire so i can later use it as my media drive, would that be alright? i wish i could get a bigger storage drive, but I can change that later or whatever

ok so I did some rough adding without tax and it came to 750+ dollars. well i can find windows xp on ebay for like 80, 90 bucks... is it hard to put a pc together? I mean I know how theoretically, maybe not a lot about cache size and busses and stuff (other than what you told me), but I mean if I had the right, compatible parts I think I could do it. of course itd be better if i could pay you to do it so i can get that studio edition not to mention the security of knowing i got a seasoned builder to do it, but i'd have to see if i can get a job in the next few weeks... if it doesn't look promising, i'm just going to have to do it myself perhaps

but yeah i read the descriptions of all the parts you selected and you know what the fuck you're talking about and i appreciate you helping out
    Last edited by Paragon; January 23rd, 2009 at 10:02 PM