Showing results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Take a Prejudice test

Battle Record
    5-3

Take a Prejudice test

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...takeatest.html

read about this on CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/07...ef=mpstoryview

(CNN) -- Would you get upset if you witnessed an act of racism?
    A new study shows that many people may unknowingly hold racist views, contrary to how they view themselves.

A new study shows that many people may unknowingly hold racist views, contrary to how they view themselves.

A new study published Thursday in the journal Science suggests many people unconsciously harbor racist attitudes, even though they see themselves as tolerant and egalitarian.

"This study, and a lot of research in social psychology, suggests that there are still really a lot of negative associations with blacks," said Kerry Kawakami, associate professor of psychology at York University in Toronto, Ontario, and lead author of the study. "People are willing to tolerate racism and not stand up against it."

The authors divided 120 non-black participants into the roles of "experiencers" and "forecasters." The "experiencers" were placed in a room with a white person and a black person, who played out pre-arranged scenarios for the experiment. The scenarios began when the black role-player bumped the white role-player's knee when leaving the room.

In the first scenario, the white person did not comment afterwards. In the "moderate" case, the white person said, "Typical, I hate it when black people do that," after the black person left the room. In the "extreme" case, the white person remarked, "Clumsy n****r."

The "forecasters," meanwhile, predicted how they would feel in these situations.

The magnitude of the results surprised even the authors, Kawakami said. Experiencers reported little distress in all three scenarios, much less than the forecasters did in the moderate and severe situations.

"Even using that most extreme comment didn't lead people to be particularly upset," said co-author Elizabeth Dunn, assistant professor of psychology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

Immediately afterwards, the participants were asked to choose either the black person or the white person as a partner for an anagram test. More than half of experiencers chose the white partner -- regardless of the severity of the comment that person made earlier. As for the forecasters, less than half chose the white partner when a comment was made, but most chose the white person when no comment was made.
    Don't Miss

* Putting a price on procrastination

"Some people might think that they're very egalitarian and they don't have to deal with their prejudices, and that's not related to them at all, when in actual fact they may hold these hidden biases," Kawakami said.

The study is consistent with decades of psychology research pointing to the same thing: People are really bad at predicting their own actions in socially sensitive situations.

"That point is getting renewed attention as researchers develop more extensive evidence establishing reasons to distrust self-report measures concerning racial attitudes," said Anthony Greenwald, professor of psychology at the University of Washington, who was not involved with the study.

The racism study harkens back to Stanley Milgram's famous experiment that began in the early 1960s, in which most people obeyed orders to deliver electric shocks to an innocent person in the next room. Many psychiatrists had predicted that the majority of subjects would stop when the victim protested, but this was not the case. Read more about the Milgram study

Regarding racism, in a famous study from the 1930s, people behaved in a non-racist manner that contradicted what they reported later. Richard LaPiere sent a Chinese couple to restaurants and hotels in the U.S., and most of these establishments accommodated them. But when LaPiere contacted the same places about whether they serve Chinese people, most said they did not.

More recent work by Greenwald and colleagues shows that most people --between 75 and 80 percent -- have implicit, non-overt prejudices against blacks. Their Web site, Project Implicit, has a slew of tests that Web users can take to compare their self-perceptions to their underlying attitudes about people based on different social categories, such as race, age and obesity. Take the Implicit Association Test

What is responsible for these attitudes? Experts say one culprit is images in television, news and film that portray blacks in a negative light.

"I don't think what's in people's heads is going to change until the environment that places these things in their head has changed," Greenwald said.

Parents can also have a big influence, experts say. Related work by Dunn shows that if parents have positive attitudes towards blacks, and they have good relationships with their children, then the children will develop more positive attitudes towards blacks too
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    5-3

Re: Take a Prejudice test

Your Result
    Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American compared to African American.
    wtf?... fuck da crackaz!
    and you gotta take it without stopping Mike or its gonna screw with your results, cuz it's based on "split second thoughts"
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    136-1
    Awards No Show LLL Season Champion FL Champion 100+ Wins

Your data suggests a slight automatic preference for Black people over White people

Your data suggests a strong automatic preference for Barack Obama over John McCain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

racist.
    Battle Record
    0-3

Your Result
    Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for European American compared to African American.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by Kid Inc.
    I know youll cry about this like a baby back bitch but at this point I HONESTLY think our country would be better off if a country like China took us over. Maybe they could fix this mess that we call a country up a little bit.
    .. lol

doesnotexist

Guess I'm the only non-racist

Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosea View Post
    lol word i just read that now when i finished. I got crackas over blacks too.

But I think i fucked my test up cause i was going kinda slow at first, but by the time i got up to the last section i got the flow of it all and my brain wasnt thinking "wait is that left or right finger" lol
    That's the point! Automatic subconcious response! Truth!

You're a RACIST! Deal with it! Nazi!
    Last edited by doesnotexist; January 9th, 2009 at 05:39 PM

Battle Record
    7-1

Your Result
    Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

but i knew this?

Battle Record
    12-1

Yeah, this test is gay. You don't know wtf you're doing at the beginning and you get the hang of it, like Mike said, when the white people come around. Also, with the emotions, I wanted to put them all under good, but the test wouldn't let me, so instead of ansering what I felt, I had to answer what the test maker wanted. :-/

Anyway, moderate preference to whites.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    12-1

yes the point is to get spick who couldn't remember if something was left or right. the first half i was slow, the 2nd i was equally fast for both black and white
    Exactly. You catch on. There should be a warm up. I'm 100% confident if the test was done with whites = good first, I'd have had a no preference or Black preference.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    12-1

Word. I put ugly people in bad and they wouldn't allow it. Lol. There was this one bitch I kept putting in good. I guess I like her face or some shit.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

doesnotexist

yes the point is to get spick who couldn't remember if something was left or right. the first half i was slow, the 2nd i was equally fast for both black and white
    whats to remeber it says it the whole time what goes on each side

wait wtf @ i kept putting facwes under good

you guys arent getitng how to do the test.... its not asking if the face is good or bad to you or what you think of each emtoion

putting black in african american everytime...doent matter that BAD or GOOD is also on the side with african american.

it doesnt test you on what face you think is bad

that would be way to simple and obvious Lol
    Last edited by doesnotexist; January 9th, 2009 at 06:35 PM

Battle Record
    30-12

Your data suggest a slight association of Black Americans with Weapons compared to White Americans.

Battle Record
    12-1

Quote Originally Posted by Vanja View Post
    whats to remeber it says it the whole time what goes on each side

wait wtf @ i kept putting facwes under good

you guys arent getitng how to do the test.... its not asking if the face is good or bad to you or what you think of each emtoion

putting black in african american everytime...doent matter that BAD or GOOD is also on the side with african american.

it doesnt test you on what face you think is bad

that would be way to simple and obvious Lol
    I know what the test is asking but it's a reflex. Ugly = Bad. Lol
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    12-1

I took the fat thin test. It said I hated fat people. I already knew that. I have a female manager at work. Bitch is 300+ pounds. She eats all fucking day and wears stinky perfume & tries to flirt. The first day I worked with her, I almost threw up. No bullshit.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

This doesn't seem like a good test. This is more like a left brain right brain test. And it seems loaded. They train your eye to associate blacks and bad with the same side for 3 different tests. Then it switches for the last test. I guarantee if the test was reversed the outcome would be reversed.

btw... it says I prefer white people.

Battle Record
    12-1

Racist mother-fucker.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers