User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: compression....help

Shut up and make music Big Question's Avatar
    Battle Record
    24-10

compression....help

so ive been tryna learn a bit bout compressionand was wonderin if i have the threshold set at 0db, im guessin my mix would have to exceed 0db for the limiter to kick in?

so if i mixed everything at -6db which i heard was good to leave some headroom, then how do i turn everythin up so it hits the limiter?

or am i not sposed to hit the limiter?
    or have i got somethin totally wrong somewhere?

lol

edit
    what i mean is i have my hard limit set at -0.10 on the master output, do i have to get all my levels up to -0.10db before the limiter or do i set it at more than that so the limiter works, or is the limiter jus a fail safe if you go over the threhold

eh
    Last edited by Big Question; January 4th, 2009 at 07:04 AM

Battle Record
    3-2

Re: compression....help

if you have Waves, I recommend usin' the C1 compressor... or, I recommend gettin' that shit lol... it's very easy to use, and sounds good...

the limiter on the master is just to prevent the entire mix from clipping... compression is to help you get a nice uniform "loudness"... if you're tryin' to keep your vocals at around -6db, set the threshold at -6... that will compress everything that peaks above -6, and the signal below -6 will "sound" louder, it will even out... I usually have my threshold around -9... you need to listen, as you lower the threshold you'll hear the vocals get quieter... that's too much... then use your makeup gain (or output gain on some compressors) to bring the overall level up... as you turn up the makeup gain, just watch the level meter on the compressor and turn it up as loud as you can without any clipping...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    24-10

ah thanks, i was gettin compressor and limiter confused as the same thing...

so by setting my thres to -6 then turn make up gain up that brings everything in the mix up to -6?, should i use that on a bus track?

i mean if everyhins compressed to -6 there would be no need for a hard limit on the master?

Battle Record
    3-2

you still should put a limiter on the master... after compressin' you won't be at -6 anymore, the makeup gain is gonna bring your vocals up to almost 0... you wanna RECORD at -6, so that when it comes time to mix you have plenty of headroom...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    24-10

so when i add the compressor at -6 it brings everything up to that level and then the make up gain pushes it back up towards 0db where its stopped from clippin by the limiter

right?