User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Simple question

Simple question

I want to make original beats from scratch. What's the best program?

I've used fruity and found it easy to use, if not that what else?

cheers
    I'm an audio bully, I hit play

PEEP MY OPEN MICS: iT IS WHAT IT IS, FAR FROM CLASSIC, EVERLASTIN', THE DEVIL MAKES WORK..

ESKWIRE
    Battle Record
    6-3

Re: Simple question

reason 4.0
    PR

[SOUNDCLICK]2959062&q=hi[/SOUNDCLICK]

Up Against the Wind

^cool, it's on the dl.

nice beat btw.

is it worth me trying to make a decent beat without a midi keyboard? i can't afford one yet
    I'm an audio bully, I hit play

PEEP MY OPEN MICS: iT IS WHAT IT IS, FAR FROM CLASSIC, EVERLASTIN', THE DEVIL MAKES WORK..

ESKWIRE
    Battle Record
    6-3

yea...you can do it

honestly i like programmin drums without a keyboard. that will help you get a feel for time and beat structure. a midi keyboard is a must tho if your serious

thanks for the peep too. that was made 100% off of reason.
    PR

Up Against the Wind

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Honestly, Sonar or Logic have the best built in MIDI features. If you're going to be recording MIDI in real time then go with one of those. Logic is Mac Only.

Cubase and Pro Tools handle MIDI nicely as well, but they lack some advanced features that aren't necessary to have in order to sequence MIDI. The benefits of using Cubase or Pro Tools are that you can sequence in the same program that you'd want to mix in, and all other audio programs can be synced with them using Rewire. Rewire is built in to any audio program. The downfall of Pro Tools is that you can only use a DigiDesign or M-Audio recording interface with the program. I personally like M-Audio gear, but Digi gear is overpriced.

Reason is made to resemble hardware. Each plugin is a rack unit, and you can manually route your audio by moving virtual patch cables. Hardware users tend to like this feature because they can do advanced audio routing in a familiar way. It speeds up their workflow. The downfall of using Reason is that you can only use their plug-ins. There are a lot of mind blowing plug-ins that are not compatible with Reason. Also, you can't record audio in Reason. I'm also not a fan of their sequencer. It's probably the worst looking sequencer out of any program on the market lol

FL Studio is made to work similar to an MPC with expanded features that are found in typical audio programs. MIDI hardware users should be able to learn this program quickly.

Acid and Ableton Live are heavily loop based. Most people like them for dance music. They're decent programs, but not usually the best choice for live sequencing.
    Last edited by Opie M.; October 29th, 2008 at 04:13 PM

ESKWIRE
    Battle Record
    6-3

Without A Basic Knowledge Of Plugins, A Midi Keyboard, And A Decent Comp, Reason Or Fl Will Probably Be Your Best Bet.

Highly Recommend "purchasing" A Copy Of Cubase, Pro Tools, Or Nuendo. For Better Quality As Well As Professionalism. You Need To Know How To Use A Daw. Also, Programs Like Reason And Fl Dont Have A Daw Incorporated Into Them, So Chopping Samples Is Impossible Without A Daw.
    PR

Up Against the Wind

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

You can chop samples in any of the audio programs I named.

And you need just as good of a computer to run all these programs. Plug-ins, track count, and sound quality are what take up CPU and RAM usage. The exception is Reason which uses a little less power because it lacks third-party plug-in support and can't record audio.

Also, you have to use plug-ins in any program. If you don't know how to use plug-ins then you need to learn. FL and Reason are good for a very mechanical sound, but if you want a natural sound to your music you want to sequence live with a drum pad or keyboard. Neither is very expensive at all.
    Last edited by Opie M.; October 29th, 2008 at 04:14 PM

ESKWIRE
    Battle Record
    6-3

you are right, i wasnt thinking clearly. choppin samples in reason is possible, but its a bitch

touche
    PR

Up Against the Wind

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Reason has a nice sampler man lol

You're probably trying to chop inside the sequencer. Fl Studio and Reason use samplers to chop samples. Cubase and Pro Tools use the sequencer.