Thread: Post Your Setup...

Battle Record
    5-11

Re: Post Your Setup...

Old Computer
    M-Audio MoblepreUSB
    Samson COU1

but soon I'm changing to

A new custom built computer: soon as I find someone who can build good studio computers
    M Audio Firewire 1814 Audio Interface
    Rode K2 Tube Vocal Microphone
    RME Fireface 400 Firewire Audio Interface - 36 Channels, 24-Bit 192 kHz, Bus Powered.
    KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 Powered Studio Monitor

Battle Record
    3-2

Opey here is THE MAN when it comes to buildin' audio computers... and his prices are reasonable... seriously...

but why are you lookin' at gettin' the 1814 and the FireFace??? and if you're wantin' to get gear that decent, which it is, why bother with those monitors???

just wonderin'... not talkin' shit or nothin'...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    3-2

Keeb... have you used those monitors before?
    If hes getting a good deal on them then its a good deal. Theyre very commonly used and recommended by many to many and theyre good monitors for the price. Im keeping my Rokit G2 5s - nomatter how good my next monitors are, and simply because most producers on a budget of $1000 and under usually go for some sort of KRKs, and most KRKs sound similar - but obviously the most expensive ones such as the exposes have a flatter reponse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    3-2

I haven't used them extensively... I took a burned cd with 2 completely raw tracks of mine into a store in Spokane (two hours away from here, the only city big enough nearby to have major retailers) and was able to sample a few monitor options... that's how I ended up decidin' on M-Audios for now, they had the newer version of my monitor but I found the original version online for less...

I don't get to sample a lotta equipment, just the gear my friend has in his home studio and the few rare occasions I get outta town to go shopping... I just do a lotta online research...

I agree those are decent monitors, especially if he's gettin' a good deal... but if you look at groups of items in different budget levels, he's gettin' higher level recording gear and lower level monitoring gear... I just wondered why he wouldn't put a little more into both ends of the equation...

Battle Record
    3-2

I wouldnt say so... Id have the 1814 too if I needed that many inputs but I dont so I have the 410. If he likes the monitors Id definetly recommend them. Ive seen places with some expensive synths, good instruments and everything but they have a pair of rokits in their home studio - and when Ive asked people they generally say that rokits sound as good as youll get for the price range and because theyre so widely used.

These are some home studios I found using KRKs. Some have pretty good gear - just to sort of show you that quite a lot of people with different stuff use rokits and the g2 8s are the best.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

what you don't get is... beat makers don't need to care about picking out the perfect monitor. you won't find engineers depending on those KRKs for their mixes. beat makers generally don't mix their own songs. they just need to hear how it sounds creatively, then they send it to someone to listen critically.

If you're a song writer or a beat maker, don't sweat the monitors. But if you're trying to mix then you need to put the most money into the monitors. Notice how there isn't a single piece of mixing gear in ANY of those pictures? ok then...

and Paze... I'm not telling you to find an audio school. Everyone here thought you were going to one, and you have been claiming to be an engineer. That's the impression you've given everyone. And as far as engineering goes... people can tell you don't have a clue. All I was saying is that it makes sense now that you're going to school for composition. you make beats. you're not an engineer. Kris, Brandon, and I have had it out with you on several occasions for giving bad engineering advice and not taking engineering advice that you ask for. You're not an engineer. You're not qualified to give people advice on the subject. I don't know why you've been walking around here pretending all this time.

And about the console... I asked you what you were tracking to. You said the console. This is part of "Paze isn't an engineer and doesn't know wtf he's talking about." if you're using a multitrack then WHAT multitrack? a computer is a multitrack. I know you're not working with analog tape. therefore you're working with a digital multitrack, whether it's a 2424 or Pro Tools, you're working with the same thing. so saying you're not using pro tools to get that "analog sound" is idiotic. you're getting analog sound by running thru the SSL console, but you're playing from a digital source no matter what. And there's no way that a studio is using a 24 track digital recorder when they have a $100,000 console that was created specifically for running pro tools. especially since if you have pro tools, you'd be borderline retarded to use a 2424 instead. there's NO benefit to that. In fact, there are only huge downfalls.

So my main point is... just stop bullshitting. there's people here that know more about what you're saying than you might ever know. You're not fooling anyone into giving you any more respect than you actually deserve. in fact, you lose credibility and respect with every post you make.

Battle Record
    1-6

Microphone: Behringer B2
    Mixer: Behringer X(loads of numbers here) lol with a UCA 200

I wan't to buy a good soundcard any good ones for about 200 dollars? and also I want to upgrade my mic.. anyone got ant ideas region of 350-400 dollars?

Battle Record
    3-2

Quote Originally Posted by ...Opey... View Post
    what you don't get is... beat makers don't need to care about picking out the perfect monitor. you won't find engineers depending on those KRKs for their mixes. beat makers generally don't mix their own songs. they just need to hear how it sounds creatively, then they send it to someone to listen critically.

If you're a song writer or a beat maker, don't sweat the monitors. But if you're trying to mix then you need to put the most money into the monitors. Notice how there isn't a single piece of mixing gear in ANY of those pictures? ok then...

and Paze... I'm not telling you to find an audio school. Everyone here thought you were going to one, and you have been claiming to be an engineer. That's the impression you've given everyone. And as far as engineering goes... people can tell you don't have a clue. All I was saying is that it makes sense now that you're going to school for composition. you make beats. you're not an engineer. Kris, Brandon, and I have had it out with you on several occasions for giving bad engineering advice and not taking engineering advice that you ask for. You're not an engineer. You're not qualified to give people advice on the subject. I don't know why you've been walking around here pretending all this time.

And about the console... I asked you what you were tracking to. You said the console. This is part of "Paze isn't an engineer and doesn't know wtf he's talking about." if you're using a multitrack then WHAT multitrack? a computer is a multitrack. I know you're not working with analog tape. therefore you're working with a digital multitrack, whether it's a 2424 or Pro Tools, you're working with the same thing. so saying you're not using pro tools to get that "analog sound" is idiotic. you're getting analog sound by running thru the SSL console, but you're playing from a digital source no matter what. And there's no way that a studio is using a 24 track digital recorder when they have a $100,000 console that was created specifically for running pro tools. especially since if you have pro tools, you'd be borderline retarded to use a 2424 instead. there's NO benefit to that. In fact, there are only huge downfalls.

So my main point is... just stop bullshitting. there's people here that know more about what you're saying than you might ever know. You're not fooling anyone into giving you any more respect than you actually deserve. in fact, you lose credibility and respect with every post you make.
    This year Im learning some engineering skills.
    and btw man, no one on their first of anhything know everything about what theyre doing - especially when their course can span out over 5 years.

and theres multitracks in that studio... and as I said I wasnt looking too much at what the engineer was doin. I was just concerened with using the time to do what I was to do. I was almost never in the control room.

By audio school Im guessing you mean an indtitution where every single person is learning about audio and everything is very specified? I cant find 1 around here - otherwise Id stick to the creative side of things that matches how I make my music and do another course on engineering.

Im on my diploma year... I was on my certificate year last year and another year is a degree, another is honors. I have yearss to do if I stick in... I never claim to know about studio engineering. Ive been doing live stuff and Ive been doing the basics in a studio that costs $10k max. They even had M-Audio BX8As as the main reference monitors ffs. Of course Im not expected to egineer at all yet.
    This year we have Adam S3As, Yamaha NS-10s (I know theyre very mid-ish but I know theyre a "standard") and a couple of other pairs. We have a nice desk and we can book the studio out and get help with learning stuff. Theres a shitload of everything - effects, digital recorders, analogue recorders including 2 track tape and lots more.
    Im expected to be able to use them properly by the end of this year which Im looking forward to. I managed to drop music history, audio history, working in the creative industries and a few more subjects to focus in on composition, production and to get a good start off in engineering.

So basically what Im saying is what Ive "learned" about engineering is stuff Ive looked up on the net or whatever. Last year of college was an introduction to the actual degree and to give us a start off on some of the stuff AND a lot of the shitty subjects are done by all people on all music-related courses in my country since college is free.

Im a noob

you're such a tool guy...i always had my suspicions about your edumication

i'd say more, but i'm way to baked to...haha...yeah...drugs are cool.

anyway...speaking of schools and the what-not, your boy's starting at Brown Mackie next month! WOOT WOOT!

(You should all check this out)

I started reading again at Page 6 of 7...

and damn... someone has just been exposed...

Anyway... Opey... I might be coming to you sometime at the end of the year to get another PC built... I'm just trying to find out what my budget is gonna be... I'd like to get a $1500 PC but we'll see... All the shit on my old one is gettin kinda outdated
    Self Made... You just affiliated.

Oh you mad cuz I'm stylin on you...? You could have better gear and couldnt style it on me...

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Word. I got you. just let me know.

You've Earned a Custom Title! Paragon's Avatar
    Battle Record
    1-1

shitty setup

mic: MXL 990
    preamp: ART Tube MP
    soundcard: Emu 0404
    pc: AMD 1.8 GHz, 512MB RAM, Radeon 9700

other than my old ass walmart computer, what could i purchase/replace in my set up to improve quality? i could probably spend up to $200

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

probably a new mic would help the most.