Thread: First thing I thought....

Battle Record
    5-3

First thing I thought....

when i saw the news in the ticker...

"Rapper has defiant words"

NAS.

Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Editor's Warning: This report is about the rapper Nas and his controversial album. It contains language you may find offensive, including the n-word, which was originally the title of the album. Since this story is about his use of the word in his songs but not on his album, should you continue reading, we must warn you that we have included the word in the story.
    Nas, 34, says he thinks he can still deliver his message without naming his album what he originally intended.

(CNN) -- When Nas said he didn't name his album "Nigger" because there might be problems getting it into stores, it was no surprise. But when he said pressure from black leaders played a role, it seemed out of character.

The Queens-reared rapper has never been one to kowtow. Just last month, he referred to the Rev. Jesse Jackson as "the biggest player hater" and declared Jackson's time as a voice for black America over.

But in a recent CNN interview, Nasir Jones explained he didn't change the album's name to please the Rev. Al Sharpton and other black leaders. Rather, they were stealing his thunder.

"I don't think I liked the attention I was getting from some of the elders in my community," he said. "I saw it kind of leaning toward being about them ... only about them. I kind of wanted to just shake that off of me." Hear Nas discuss the controversy »

His remedy? To drop the title altogether -- literally. The album, out Wednesday, has no name. But don't think Nas is cowering from controversy -- the cover features the rapper shirtless with his iconic, gothic "N" digitally whipped into his back.

With a host of racial issues -- the Jena Six, Don Imus, nooses -- fresh on America's mind, naming an album "Nigger" seems ill-advised. Nas, however, said his goal wasn't to upset; it was to upend a society that focuses more on pejoratives than the racial plights that spawn them.

"There's still so much wrong in the whole world with people -- poor people, people of color -- I just felt like a nice watch couldn't take that away, make me forget about that. A nice day on a yacht with rich friends couldn't make me forget about reality, what's going on," he said. "That's why I named the album that -- not just that the word is horrible, but the history behind the word, and how it relates to me, how it's affected me, offended me."
    Don't Miss

* Special Report: Black in America
    * Stevie Wonder, a Nas fan, discusses album controversy
    * Retro-tech channels old-school cool

Harvard law professor Randall Kennedy delves into the frustrating duality of the slur in his 2003 bestseller, "Nigger: The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word." Since colonist John Rolfe first coined "negar," referring in 1619 to a shipment of Africans to Virginia, the epithet has lived a largely opprobrious life, with one exception, Kennedy writes.

"Currently, some people insist upon distinguishing nigger -- which they see as exclusively an insult -- from nigga, which they view as a term capable of signaling friendly salutation," Kennedy writes.

Kennedy, who is black, concludes his book expressing satisfaction that the word's use causes anxiety. Politicians should avoid uttering it at all costs, he writes, and uses by nonblacks is most often a no-no.

But never underestimate the word's complexities, says Kennedy: "For bad and for good, nigger is thus destined to remain with us for many years to come -- a reminder of the ironies and the dilemmas, the tragedies and glories, of the American experience."

Kennedy declined to comment for this story, and Sharpton's press office did not respond to an e-mail and voice message requesting an interview.

Because Nas rescinded the title doesn't mean the multiplatinum rapper isn't prepared to engage in debate on the word's merit in today's lexicon.

"It's all about the intent and what you mean and how it's coming off and the reason why you're saying it. You know, if it's ill intent, if you're angry, being ignorant, being meanspirited, saying that word -- it means the worst," he explained. "If you're just a couple of black guys on the street corner, doesn't mean it's a great thing, but it's not that they're trying to harm each other when they say it."

As for a wholesale ban on the word -- something Jackson and Sharpton have suggested -- Nas scoffed.

"For some people, you should never be able to use it," he said. "For others, it's way too late. It's too late to try to stop using it. It's something that's just part of the language now."

That "elders" had anything to do with changing the album's name might be a sign the 34-year-old is continuing the personal growth so easily charted since he released his 1994 debut, "Illmatic," an album that would help earn him the No. 5 spot on MTV's list of the top MCs of all time.

Back then, Nas was a 20-year-old, street-hustling rhymesmith from the rough-and-tumble Queensbridge projects, on the brink of earning the admiration of some of hip-hop's biggest names.

He's been called "the king" (Producer Dallas Austin), "a genius" (Island Def Jam Chairman L.A. Reid) and "the greatest rapper of all time" (rapper Kanye West).

After "Illmatic," fans watched Nas -- and his ego -- grow through the years as he proclaimed himself "Nastradamus," "God's Son" and the "Street's Disciple."

His legions watched him become jaded with age when, in 2006, he declared, "Hip Hop is Dead," and lashed out at the rappers and DJs he felt had rendered the genre hackneyed.

Though Nas dabbled in advocacy before Wednesday, his lyrics dwelled more on his rhyming skills, hot sneakers, women and blunts. Violence was regularly invoked, especially in regard to any would-be dissers.

On the untitled album, there's still an air of militancy, with the threats of violence directed toward those who aim to oppress African-Americans.

He boasts likenesses to Black Panther founder Huey P. Newton and threatens to throw Molotov cocktails in the name of civil rights murder victim Emmett Till.

On "Testify," Nas warns that he's loading a magazine to "send these redneck bigots some death in a bag/choke him out with his Confederate flag/I know these devils are mad."

"I really like 'Testify' because it's like a man who's just frustrated and doesn't know how to fight. It's when you feel like there's no one to call. Who do you call when you're of the ethnic group that the police have been wiping out for years and the government doesn't do anything?" Nas asked.

Nas explains his growth on "Project Roach," crediting a Guyanese anthropologist and literary critic with helping him mature: "I used to worship a certain Queens police murderer/Till I read the words of Ivan Van Sertima/He inserted something in me than made me feel worthier/Now I spit revolution, I'm his hood interpreter."

Other messages on the album seem designed to inspire the black community, or to decry a separate-but-equal culture that purports to incubate fairness but rarely produces results.

On "America," he opines, "Too many rappers, athletes and actors/But not enough niggas in NASA/Who gives you the latest dances, trends and fashion?/But when it comes to residuals they look past us."

Nas acknowledged he's a different person today than when he dropped "Illmatic," and his music has grown along with him. Fans should recognize and enjoy the evolution rather than make comparisons, he said.

He tentatively agreed that his untitled album addresses the plight of black America with a more positive voice, but he almost bristled when asked if he was a "conscious rapper," guys like Common, Mos Def and Talib Kweli who largely refrain from talk of violence and misogyny.
    advertisement

Nas, he said, will remain an individual, an artist, a lyricist, whose style and message can't be placed in a tidy case like one of his albums.

"I just look at myself as a man who's trying to figure shit out in the world, and God is amazing because He's never going to let us figure it all out," Nas said. "So I don't really have a category. I'm just a man that's in search, that's always in search, that's always going to question things, you know?"
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    3-1

Re: First thing I thought....

He thinks like a five-percenter too much.
    Rape a pregnant bitch and tell my friends I had a threesome

Battle Record
    1-0

Quote Originally Posted by Politrix View Post
    He thinks like a five-percenter too much.
    Better to think like the 5% then be sheep like 85% i say.

Battle Record
    212-103
    Awards LLL Season Champion LLL HOF 200+ Wins

"Too many rappers, athletes and actors/But not enough niggas in NASA/Who gives you the latest dances, trends and fashion?/But when it comes to residuals they look past us."

Not trying to make you mad, Kris...but...

That first line is ridiculous...
    Coming from a black rapper...who now says black people...
    Shouldn't be rappers?

He's full grown and has plenty of money...
    If he wanted to get into the space program, I'm sure he could.
    I'm also sure he has enough money to sponsor a scholarship for black students wanting into the Nasa space program.

He's just being an idiot on that note...

And on the other half of that bullshit?

Dances, trends, and fashion?
    And he wants residuals from em?

Really?

Really?

Sounds like Nas is all about the money as much as oil/gas folk are.

What, everytime someone white does the "Superman" dance...
    Soulja Boy should get a royalty?
    Get the fuck outta here!

And gimme a break, Nas...dances, trends, and fashion...
    Aren't exactly real important things.
    Fun, yes.

But important...fuck no.

I saw his ass on The Colbert Report last night or night before...
    Funny shit the way Colbert worked that interview.
    Lots of subtle clowning, I don't know if Nas even caught.

Anyway.

Sorry to drop in, I agree with some of what he says, but most of it just seems money, money, money oriented...from a very ego-inflated dude.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

BTK what the fuck goes thru your head sometimes is beyond me. I don't even feel like coaching you thru your reading comprehension problems. I'm sure plenty of people are going to come in here and pick your reply to pieces. I just wanted you to know why. and believe me... it's well deserved... because what you just said was was on some Oreilley level of retardation.

Battle Record
    212-103

Well...yeah...

It should be some O'Reilly sounding shit.

I'm, for the most part, a conservative Republican.

That kinda shit brings diversity to our little community of RB.

Different opinions, views.

It'd be pretty fuckin boring if we all agreed on everything.

What you see as "retarded" makes perfect sense to me and millions of other people in these United States. Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Hannity...Limbaugh...

None of them would be in business and as popular as they are if EVERYONE viewed them as you do.

But not everyone does...

That's what makes your thoughts and Kris' and everyone else's...an opinion...not an absolute.

Cuz, I...and others don't see it your way...

Thus, discussions, debates...blah, blah, blah.

What's wrong with that?

Battle Record
    212-103

I mean, really...

Even double posting on that note.

What the fuck is so wrong with different opinions?
    Why is it everytime I present the conservative viewpoint you cats don't just disagree...you get downright offended? Like you hate and shit.

It seems one of the main gripes about this nation is the lack of equality, the lack of an even plateau for everyone...but you cats do your best to deny that even plateau when someone expresses an opinion other than your own.

WTF?

Name-calling?

Saying I'm retarded.

Again, WTF?

Battle Record
    5-3

BTK....

did i even comment on his lyrics?
    I posted the fucking article off CNN to mainly follow up to another thread i posted the SAME day about Jesse Jackson.

Yet you go off on a fucking O'Reilly-esque tyraid about Nas' lyrics. Breaking them down completly out of context, and coming at me like I WROTE THEM....
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    5-3

Quote Originally Posted by Born To Kill View Post
    I mean, really...

Even double posting on that note.

What the fuck is so wrong with different opinions?
    Why is it everytime I present the conservative viewpoint you cats don't just disagree...you get downright offended? Like you hate and shit.

It seems one of the main gripes about this nation is the lack of equality, the lack of an even plateau for everyone...but you cats do your best to deny that even plateau when someone expresses an opinion other than your own.

WTF?

Name-calling?

Saying I'm retarded.

Again, WTF?
    Because I relate you with figures that I find offensive, and at times racist. Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity, Mike Savage.

You having the same viewpoints and quoting these guys in every thread makes me think you are on the same page as them.

Mike Savage called Arabian people "non-human"... and you been quoting him in every fuckin respose you've posted for the last week, like he's some golden prophet of knowledge.
    I associate YOU with HIM.
    This is the same dude who got fired for wishing AIDS on a gay caller? and you puttin him on a pedestal? You prop up a racist, sexist, hateful pig. Yet you expect me to like you, or respect your opinion when you go in and quote these men.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    212-103

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cain View Post
    BTK....

did i even comment on his lyrics?
    I posted the fucking article off CNN to mainly follow up to another thread i posted the SAME day about Jesse Jackson.

Yet you go off on a fucking O'Reilly-esque tyraid about Nas' lyrics. Breaking them down completly out of context, and coming at me like I WROTE THEM....
    The lyrics were there and I commented on them...

Why's it a problem I noticed something in there I didn't agree with...and mentioned it?

And, I didn't come at you like that...I was quite polite towards you...made sure to be...when I posted my thoughts.

As far as racism, I don't think so...
    Savage didn't call Arabs non-humans...he called radical muslims who want to kill Americans, non human.
    I listen to that show everyday on the way home from work and it's amazing how often that guy is misquoted.
    His show airs for 3 hours everynight, he has in depth, intellectual discussions on serious issues but those three hours don't make the headlines, none of his black supporters (young and old), his "good" Muslim supporters, his gay supporters, his female supporters...make the news when they call up TOTALLY AGREEING with him, (listen to the show, you'd be very surprised to see how many of the just mentioned classes of folk are actually loyal listeners)...no, none of that makes the news, just the 2 second blurb, out of context does.

But cool...you don't have to agree with him or them or me...

That's your choice totally.

I just don't get the anger...I don't get mad and freak out on you, do I?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

there's a difference between having a unique opinion and completely misinterpreting someone's words and going on a rampage about some shit that isn't even true or applicable. Hence the Oreilly reference.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

I listen to that show everyday on the way home from work and it's amazing how often that guy is misquoted.
    LMAO the fuckin pot calling the kettle black

Battle Record
    5-3

Quote Originally Posted by Born To Kill View Post
    his "good" Muslim supporters,
    wow.

and

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Savage
    In fact, Christianity has been one of the great salvations on planet Earth. It's what's necessary in the Middle East. Others have written about it, I think these people need to be forcibly converted to Christianity but I'll get here a little later, I'll move up to that. It's the only thing that can probably turn them into human beings.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    5-3

and to be one of the most respect WRITERS on this site... how do you hack apart a lyric so ridiculously?

"Too many rappers, athletes and actors/But not enough niggas in NASA/Who gives you the latest dances, trends and fashion?/But when it comes to residuals they look past us."

Nas is talking about the image of the black person in america. Those 3 jobs are the "dream jobs" in most black kids minds that are glamorized. You either rap, play ball, or act. You never hear any kids talkin about "I wanna grow up and be a astronaut"... You just don't hear that these days.

He NEVER said or implied that black people can't get into NASA... he said "It's not enough niggas in NASA"... how did you turn that into what you did? He's talking about problems we've caused on ourselves, not problems from some outside source.

As far as the residuals line, I think you took it too extreme. I don't even totally agree with what the line implies. I think it's an individuals responsibility to build there own wealth. Nas covers this more in his album on other songs, talking about how alot of black families don't put "building wealth" in there vocabulary, because there aren't any role models around to set a good example. Mixing that absence, with the urban environment is a recipe for generations of not building wealth.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    212-103

Well...I never heard that quote...
    If he said it, he's obviously wrong about that subject.

And aight, if I misunderstood the lyrics, my bad.

But in all realness...it isn't just black kids trying to make a fast buck with fame.

Look at the useless Hulk Hogan family...
    That daughter of his has her own show...as her job.
    No drive to be anything else except famous in some way.
    Same with Denise Richards, etc...

Yes, it's a black thing...to strive and wanna be only a sports star, rapper, or actor...
    But it's also a generational thing. A current society thing.