User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Good dB for Verses and the Beat.

Battle Record
    2-1

Good dB for Verses and the Beat.

what dB should verses and and adlibs be at compared to each other and the beat? My mixes seem to always have the verse to loud or to soft.

Battle Record
    3-2

Re: Good dB for Verses and the Beat.

it depends... really LISTEN and train your ears... you need to mix with more than just headphones (you really don't wanna mix with headphones anyway)... but it depends on a lot of things... the overall loudness of the instrumental, how many layers of vocals you're usin', how much compression you put on your vocals, etc... it's a pretty fine line between too little or too much and just right... but again, for mixtape shit the verses are often much louder than say a verse on an album cut... it takes practice...

me, I use three layers of vocals... the main one is dead center, the other two are panned left and right about 30 degrees... my vocals peak at -6 when recordin'... when I mix, my main vocal track usually ends up bein' turned down to about -3 or -4 and my two backups are usually turned down to about -14 to -16, just enough to give a fuller and more stereo sound... I don't tend to do adlibs, but when I do I pan them to either side and out further than my backups (maybe 45-50 degrees) and turn them down to in between the main and backups (maybe -9 to -11)...

but it's different for everybody...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

this is an impossible question to answer. You have to listen. Your problem probably has more to do with EQ and compression than anything else.

Battle Record
    2-1

one of the presets I'm using for the EQ is Bass increase, on my vocals maybe I should stop using that? That might be the reason for my vocals coming out loud.

Battle Record
    3-2

definitely... unless your mic is VERY VERY thin soundin', addin' bass will only muddy up your mix and cause the vocals to drown... and don't just add eq without knowin' why... listen to the sound, and adjust... if it's recorded well, it shouldn't take much...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    3-2

learn how to mix.... then try it

Battle Record
    2-1

well I mix using presets and then a volume mixer... it's all I got what more can I learn.....

Battle Record
    3-2

It took me about a year to train my ear to be ok... and to actually learn about what levels everything should be and how to make everything sound well together. Im still learning though after about 2 years
    Just read up on it somewhere... do a google search or something on what the basic plugins are used for and how to use them. Know what sounds good and how to make everything sound good.
    Thats really all the advice I can give you. and if you want to learn techniques theres some good books availible

Battle Record
    2-1

ok thanks.. I do know my ears are getting pretty good at recognizing what sounds good/bad.... after working with a $30 mic for 3 years I've had to mix the hell out of songs.... just to drown out the static and poor sound.

Battle Record
    3-2

A better mic should make easier mixing... hell you might not even have to edit your vocals if you can keep a natural small dynamic range

Battle Record
    2-1

yeah I bought an AT2020 last weekend... its fantastic... I really don't need to do that much.

Battle Record
    3-2

you bought an interface too then, right??? which one did you decide on???

Battle Record
    2-1

I didn't buy an interface yet. I've been running it directly in my sound card for now. I'll be ordering one off the internet next pay check. not sure which one yet though.

Battle Record
    3-2

how does it plug into your soundcard??? and what powers the mic???

Battle Record
    2-1

It plugs in the mic port in the back of my sound card. Its like a earphone jack type plug in. And I have a phantom power source I also bought.