User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 75 of 84

Thread: Studio Setup

Re: Studio Setup

Quote Originally Posted by ...Opey... View Post
    an mpc is digital. it's a computer. it has the same internal elements as a computer. even in 1989. the difference is that your old mpc uses a low quality 12 bit signal. this is where your old school hiphop sound comes from. I can achieve that by changing my resolution. But what you can't do is layer high resolution samples over your low resolution samples to get old school sound without old school quality.

I know how to use your hardware. I graduated to my hardware. don't be confused. this hardware vs software talk is nonsense. i have more hardware in my "software setup" than you do in your "hardware setup". you came here attempting to flex your knowledge with posts riddled with insults and a condescending attitude. I don't give fuck all what you make music with. you questioned MY setup recommendations. I can make music with anything because I understand the actual principles of sound and recording. My knowledge goes a little deeper than how to push buttons on a machine.
    I use the 3000Le for 16 bit resolution. That's where I get my glisten from.
    To answer your question. The reason why I use the MP is bascically for the sequencer. These are the best sequencers ever - and the SP 12 & 1200 of course.
    I like the crunch that the 60 gives - Can't be matched. Or emulated.
    Nothin wrong with your set - Just set it. I know my way around the MP because that's what I use. I use the software to Mix down and wav. format the tracks. That's all. I can make beats on the Mac aswell. Just prefer queing the sounds myself - manually.
    But for certain - You cannot front on the Old School Quality.
    It's just RAW. That's what your software is trying to capture. Just won't be as Boom and as Bap as the original sounding equipment.
    Last edited by Robinson; November 6th, 2007 at 04:11 PM
    :realist: Robinson

Battle Record
    5-3

word. i agree completely.

but... the instruments on your hardware are just software. it's not windows or mac based but that shit is digital software. Not all vsti's sound thin like sampletank. Vienna Symphonic Library is better than anything on the market... software or hardware.

Nothing truly replaces the real thing tho.
    yea, the thing i dont like about librarys like vienna symphonic is they take a LONG time to load on the computer... you gotta open the plugin you use to access them, then you gotta wait for the sounds to load... they sound amazing but that wait time can ruin inspiration... i can just turn on the board and go... The real good sounding librarys are cpu monsters.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

you work with a strictly digital format. the only analog equipment you have is a mixer and turntables. your mpc does not store and manipulate analog sound. you can record from an analog source using an A/D converter which converts the analog signal into digital on and off responses. it's stored inside the machine and manipulated by different combinations of transistors called logic gates. the sound is heard by converting the digital information into an analog signal using a D/A converter.

There's another device that works EXACTLY like this. It's called a PC.

Hip hop would be virtually impossible without digital equipment. You would be recording live instruments on analog tape, making hundreds of copies to slice, comp together, and layer. you would be running everythig thru an analog synthesizer to change the sound by physically manipulating the voltage of the analog signal. and you'd have to do it in real time.

And you definitely came at me son. You criticized my knowledge and my advice. You're entitled to your opinion and your preferences. Don't knock the preferences of others.

Battle Record
    5-3

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    To answer your question. The reason why I use the MP is bascically for the sequencer. These are the best sequencers ever - and the SP 12 & 1200 of course.
    Nothin wrong with your set - Just set it. I know my way around the MP because that's what I use. I use the software to Mix down and wav. format the tracks. That's all. I can make beats on the Mac aswell. Just prefer queing the sounds myself - manually.
    It's just RAW. That's what your software is trying to capture. Just won't be as Boom and as Bap as the original sounding equipment.
    your selling yourself short as a producer if your using JUST a mpc for sequencing man... I dont see how you can feel creatively "free" when your so restricted physically by your hardware alone. Sequencing technology has advanced 10 fold since at least since the 3000 dropped. I can understand using a MP for the feel, and sound of it... but not the sequencing. That's just me though...

as far as the old school quality tho... ehhhh... if your actively pursuing placements as a producer... your REALLY REALLY selling yourself short relying on old school sounds.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    you're completely wrong about emulation. anything can be emulated. i have a liquid channel preamp which accurately emulates any preamp and compressor. The waves GTR plugin exactly emulates several mic, head, and cabinet models. There is a Pro Tools HD plugin that precisely emulates an SSL. if someone wants to emulate an mpc they can.

And no... Old School SOUND is raw. Old school quality is inferior when you're talking about an entire track.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cain View Post
    yea, the thing i dont like about librarys like vienna symphonic is they take a LONG time to load on the computer... you gotta open the plugin you use to access them, then you gotta wait for the sounds to load... they sound amazing but that wait time can ruin inspiration... i can just turn on the board and go... The real good sounding librarys are cpu monsters.
    yea... i'm building a machine for just vienna and possibly some other large libraries. with plenty o memory the libraries will load fast. You're right tho. it's a pain. What I do sometimes is use lower quality tools to create then recreate with high quality methods. high quality plugins are almost just part of the mixing process for me at this point.

Battle Record
    5-3

speaking of Waves...Waves GTR 3 has been getting alot of work in my lab lately, so has the new API bundle. i used almost all API plugins on the 50 cent remix in my sig
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

what did you use for the synth?

Battle Record
    5-3

what did you use for the synth?
    ReFX Quadra Sid, ReFX Vangaurd, and a patch off the Fantom XR
    Welcome to reality.

Thumbs down Re: Studio Setup

you're completely wrong about emulation. anything can be emulated. i have a liquid channel preamp which accurately emulates any preamp and compressor. The waves GTR plugin exactly emulates several mic, head, and cabinet models. There is a Pro Tools HD plugin that precisely emulates an SSL. if someone wants to emulate an mpc they can.

And no... Old School SOUND is raw. Old school quality is inferior when you're talking about an entire track.
    Spoken like a real asinine digimon.
    I thought they stopped making your model. Damn.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

yea... it's a good thing you use the only analog sampler in history or else you might like digital sound too...

the funny thing is... if you keep lying to yourself eventually it'll be true. The newest technology advancent has been analog computing. but knowing you in a few years you'll be saying "screw analog computers! digital computers are old school!"

stop trying to be O.G. It isn't workin out for ya.

on the real tho... you have anything online? i'm tryin to hear your all powerful Old School style.
    Last edited by Opie M.; November 6th, 2007 at 08:25 PM

Talking Re: Studio Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cain View Post
    your selling yourself short as a producer if your using JUST a mpc for sequencing man... I dont see how you can feel creatively "free" when your so restricted physically by your hardware alone. Sequencing technology has advanced 10 fold since at least since the 3000 dropped. I can understand using a MP for the feel, and sound of it... but not the sequencing. That's just me though...

as far as the old school quality tho... ehhhh... if your actively pursuing placements as a producer... your REALLY REALLY selling yourself short relying on old school sounds.
    Producer. Me.?. Naaaaaa. I'm not making beats for anyone. Nor seeking placement as a beatmaker. I make a Sound. For my rhymes and for my feel.
    I love the sequencer on the MPC. It's able to do what any software is capable of - Upon the knowledge of the producer. I am a musician.
    I use live instrumentation. Why would I corrupt it with digital FX. Then it would be an upright bass anymore. It would be a Space bass.
    The Mp provides me with the ability to not only sample and que my samples.
    But aswell capture the live aspect of the sound I play, or sample.
    Simple as that.
    The sequencer adds the abbilty to hold notes - Overlap ques, Change patterns, Via twist of a knob. I'm a patient player. I don't mind using my mind an xtra length for purpose of creativity - And as for creativity. There is no way to use more creative force than the MPC 60ii. OLD School technology.
    Less sample time - Less Patterns. More thinking. Killin' the sequence. That's why I aswell have the S950 - For extended sample time.
    How can I explain to you this.
    There is no wrong way to set up. Software or Hardware. They are all doing the same thing. It is basically users preference. Your own doxology of production/producing is what comes easy to you. My method of pros, happens to be the hardware set. No punt intended. I just am hooked on the MIDI way of dong things. MPC.

Thumbs up Re: Studio Setup

yea... it's a good thing you use the only analog sampler in history or else you might like digital sound too...
    The MPC is a Midi Pro. Center. It converts from analog/digital sounds into 12 bit non linear sound. FACT>
    MPC 60ii.

Thumbs up Re: Studio Setup

You funny.
    This guy is Digital Dan.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins

I love the sequencer on the MPC. It's able to do what any software is capable of - Upon the knowledge of the producer.
    You don't even realize how goofy of a statement that is. i can automate an entire track without touching any buttons on any DAW. a DAW can arrange entire orchestras without recording any sound. an MPC doesn't even have the storage capacity to do some of the things a DAW can do in terms of sequencing. you're talking like an MPC is a mixing workstation or something.