Showing results 31 to 45 of 138

Thread: Ask Graphics Questions Here

Battle Record
    2-0

Re: Ask Graphics Questions Here

i wanna start designing

what do i need?...i already got?
    some shit called photofiltre

is there anything better thats cheaper or free?

and anyone got any tips?

Battle Record
    1-0

Go get yourself a sketchpad and a pencil. Fuck software mate, if you want to be a designer, it starts with an idea. Put the idea on a page, develop it and change it, and then when you're happy with your skills and ideas, then start thinking about bringing it onto a larger more precise scale.

If you want to make sigs, don't call yourself a designer. Call yourself a gfx head (abbreviated version only) or a sig maker, download photoshop, a font pack, an 'abstract grunge' brush pack, and put gamerenders.com in your favourites.

That's all you need to know for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[Po'Ethics][Written Voices]

Battle Record
    2-0

see i wann do stuff for myspace/sigs/and stuff for starters then imma move up after i get comfortable on photoshop or sumthin..cuz i wanna do shirts and stuff

but do i need serial codes for all photoshops?

Battle Record
    1-0

Yeah, but it's easily bypassed if you d'load a key generator with the photoshop version. Best version to go for is Photoshop CS2. CS3 will baffle you, especially in the likely event that you find yourself needing to downgrade to a lower version. Just stick with downloading CS2 for now.

If you're serious, then stay away from the brushes and stuff i mentioned for as long as possible. It's much easier and alot more interesting to make brushes out of your own stuff (scanned in/uploaded/drawn). Making your own is much better, a hell of alot more original and skillful, and you'll also learn new techniques in photoshop that will be like gold when it comes to actually designing t-shirts in the future.
    Don't get into the habit of brushing in a background, changing the colour and sticking a pre-cut Halo image on top - jump in the deep end and leave that stuff to the kids.
    Also learn to use the pen tool as fast as possible, it's a designers best friend.
    Fonts: Don't use the same font in everything. Don't use graffiti tag fonts unless it's your own scanned in. Don't use any horror font that looks like it's from a 1960's horror film. Don't use Comic Sans.

Follow those guidelines and you're on a good path.

don't listen to him, Comic Sans is legendary.

Battle Record
    2-0

lol....i aight i will holla if i need help

You've Earned a Custom Title! Dyl's Avatar
    Battle Record
    30-11
    Awards 25+ Wins

Ok so I got this whole photoshop thing cost me a 150 euro which I couldnt believe.Now heres the question..............How do you use it.Give me a layout on what to do.Thankin you all
    Heard about the guy who fell off a skyscraper?
    On his way down past each floor,he kept saying to reassure himself
    So far so good.....
    So far so good.....
    So far so good.....

But how you fall doesn't matter
    Its how you land

Battle Record
    1-0

File
    New
    Size; A4
    300ppi (pixels per inch)
    RGB colour (red green blue, which are the standard colours used for computer based graphics. CMYK, or Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black, is used when you plan on designing something to be printed out. You'll see the difference if you try and print in RGB colours)
    No transparency for now.

First, make yourself aware of the tools. Depending on which version you have, these'll vary in quality, effects and what's actually there. For now though, pick the brush tool which is standardly around the middle and on the right hand side of your toolbar (similar to the MSPaint one).

Now you need a colour. In the same toolbar (these little window things are called simply windows, toolbars or pallettes. When you hear somebody say layer pallette, they are talking about the window that your different layers appear in. More on layers in a sec) you will see one square overlapping another, standardly white overlapping black. The foremost colour is your primary colour, the one that hits the page when you click, and the one you're working with at the moment. The one behind is an auxillary colour. It's handy so that you don't have to keep going backwards and forwards selecting colours you simply click the little button on the bottom left of these two colours and they switch around! Wow!
    Click the colour. Now select a colour.
    If you're printing your artwork, not only is it a good idea to be in CMYK colours, but also to click 'picker' in the colour choosing window.
    So let's recap. To choose a colour:

- Click the primary colour
    - Colour selection window pops up
    - Select a colour by clicking, changing the hue, or editing the values on the right. But you won't need to know about that unless you're a super colour freak.
    - Click ok
    - Draw

Ok, so now you've got your colour. That brush is a little small! Go to the top of the screen, there's a nice horizontal toolbar. On the far left, there's a white drop down box with a circle in it (default). Click this, and it'll drop down. Take a while to peruse the ever expandable list of your 'brushes'. These little badboys will no doubt save your royal white ass countless times when you find a gap in your pasted images, or find the need to scribble.
    In alot to a fucking huge amount of cases, people download hundreds of useful brushes from sites such as deviantart.com
    (software applications --> photoshop brushes)
    I prefer to make my own, as it's much more rewarding and interesting, but the advantages of downloading mean that you don't have to put work in and almost anything is available to you if you look in the right place. Brushes can range from simple shapes to abstract shapes, silhouetted trees to handwritten letters, elaborate swirls to scanned in junk.
    Simply, brushes are DIYANYTHING. You can draw a shape, and in turn make that shape a brush by going to (edit --> define brush).

Ok, pick a nice shape/size. You can also edit the diameter of your selected brush by moving the slider left or right in the same drop down window. Give it a go!

Right so you're happy with that brush. Brush around a bit. Switch up brushes and colours and draw a pretty picture of a sun with glasses or something.

Layers! Layers work much like sheets of glass. Imagine taking a bit of paper, drawing a circle on it. Now, you get a piece of glass, and you draw eyes on it. Then you place the glass on the paper and you've got eyes on a face, except on two different 'layers'. Exactly, simple hey. Then you get another piece of glass and draw a smile, and put that piece of glass on top of the other. Now you've got a smiley face, except on three different 'layers'. Yup, easy.

When you start a new file, you automatically have one layer in your 'layers pallete'. Remember that old chesnut?! It's located somewhere on your screen, and looks SLIGHTLY but not much like the page locator in Microsoft Word. You'll see a white rectangle named 'background'. This should usually be left alone, for the simple reason that it's what you build everything else on. Painting onto this layer is annoying because it's hard to edit what's underneath: nothing is underneath. So as soon as you start, look along the bottom of this 'layers pallete' for some icons, the one we need is called 'new layer'. This will look like the 'new document' logo found in text editors like Word. It's a blank page with one corner upturned.
    Click it and you've got a new layer! A.k.a. Your piece of glass to go on top of the paper. Ok, have fun with that. When you're happy, press 'new layer' again.
    Layers make it easier to compose your image, to edit your image and to build really complex images instead of having to deal with the hassle of painting over what you've already done such as in MS Paint.

Next nifty little tool is the marquee tools (topmost, 'marching ants' pattern, square/oval is ALWAYS the top left tool, which is the one we'll be using).
    Select the 'square marquee' tool, top left. Click and drag somewhere over your image, and let go when you have a nice rectangle. Now you can go one of a few directions from here:

Right click (PC) or Ctrl & Click (Mac) and you'll be faced with the quick-menu. This newfangled thing contains awesome tools like 'stroke' (which people make borders with) and 'fill' (for filling in the shapes that you make with this tool!).
    For now, select 'fill' and change the options so that they apply to what you want to do, then click ok.

Ok those few things should sort you out for now. It's a long process to learn all the things you can do on it but as long as you follow the right directions from the right people, then you'll have no problem. Yes i did just handwrite this by the way haha.

If you've got any questions or need to know how to do something then ask me and i'll be glad to help you out, but for now those few things are enough to get you feeling more comfortable with the program, because it can be pretty intimidating. Experiment with all the tools as well, the best way to know what they do is to try them out, don't worry about not knowing what they do, they're not exactly going to kill you so jump right in and try stuff out.

You've Earned a Custom Title! Dyl's Avatar
    Battle Record
    30-11
    Awards 25+ Wins

Well i'd like to say a big thank you to you man.That was some excellent advise and hank you for taking time out to write all that.I've done all that and spent a good while going over it.The photoshop I have is elements 2.0.I wanna start working on images now so when ever you have a chance to explain stuff on that could you do so.
    Heard about the guy who fell off a skyscraper?
    On his way down past each floor,he kept saying to reassure himself
    So far so good.....
    So far so good.....
    So far so good.....

But how you fall doesn't matter
    Its how you land

Battle Record
    1-0

If you get a chance, i'd swiftly get a hold of Photoshop CS2. It's the best version by far (although some people will contest that), it has the best tools and the best engines to make them work, and it's very compatible both ways when it comes to the interface, shortcuts, tools etc.

It's definitely available on all the main P2P programs, but make sure you get a version that's at least 150mb. Anything far less is going to be incomplete software, a virus, the wrong program or a bad quality copy. In fact i'm not entirely sure of the exact size, but i know that when i downloaded, i would look out for the higher sizes. See if you can ask some of our resident sig makers who no doubt downloaded their copy, if they can remember what size it was.

Making images really starts with knowing the tools. Without knowledge of the tools, there's really no beginning anything.
    But, there's a few good excercises to get you learning and adapting to different techniques and effects. These will undoubtedly help you out in the future, as basic as they seem, and they are usually quite cheesy. All that matters is the TECHNIQUE. It's up to you to make the technique interesting.
    The first excercise you should hunt down, is making a simple 'RTB' (Render, text, background) signature. A render is the web-slang for a selected image that's 'rendered' from it's surroundings. Rendering a picture of me, for example, would mean that i am cut out from the background, so i can then be placed onto another background. Common renders here are usually rappers, sports stars, or game characters.
    Go to google and make a simple search for 'sig tutorial' and you'll find an endless list of gorgeously simple and very indepth tutorials. The beautiful thing about it is that there's so many of these tutorials, that you can never run out of doing the same thing a different way. You can search 'renders' for the same type of result. Some 'tuts' will teach you to make a nifty border, some will teach you how to colour your background interestingly, and some will teach you how to get dope 'stylised' effects, that are largely in fashion (such as smudging/text positioning/the repeated images etc). Which means that once you done one, you should definitely try and do another, even if it does have the same name.

Once you begin to get more comfortable (and in my case bored) of making sigs to practice your skills, then you might take a trip to www.good-tutorials.com
    Where you will find an abundance of pretty interesting, random and educational tutorials.
    The important thing to remember is that there is NEVER one way to do something. Some people make a border one way, i make a border another way, and so on. Which means that if you read a tutorial and it tells you to do something in a way that you think doesn't make sense, then i'd say just try and learn what you can from their technique and blend it with your own.

As for making images, well follow that link or google around and you'll be well on the way. Like i said before, just ask if you've got anything specific you need to know.

Banned
    Battle Record
    2-3

Wanna know good software making Graphix, I can already draw... I just wanna know the best software for doing this all...

Battle Record
    1-0

Probably Photoshop. It depends on what you want to do though, if you want to do huge elaborate and very professional drawings, use Adobe Illustrator and go from there, although some people use coral draw/paint whatever. I don't rate them though, Adobe's the choice.

But i'd say you just need Photoshop. Download Adobe Photoshop CS2, or see if you can get a copy from a friend who has it.

I really hate people Mic Dareall's Avatar
    Battle Record
    16-4

GIMP, its free...lol

[YOUTUBE]9QCvMp0rSxU[/YOUTUBE]

Celz, sigs are/should be 72 dpi, and printed material is/should be 300 dpi

Battle Record
    1-0

They shouldn't be either, not by any rule.

It depends on what resolution you plan on setting them to, or how you want them displayed in final. DPI = Dots per inch, and it refers to the unit of measurement that your printer/scanner is configured to produce work at once the digital hits the paper. You're referring to the common/default sizes that people recommend for ease of use.