User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: tips for artists/producers...

Battle Record
    2-3

tips for artists/producers...

Yeah, I guess I can share the obvious secrets.
    This is for anyone who is hoping to get anywhere.
    Some of these are obvious, and some are personal lessons - combined with what you already know.

- If you're and emcee/producer - don't try and get your songs heard. Its pointless. If someone likes your music, they'll listen. SHOP YOUR BEATS. I mean, to everyone with ears. Its waay easier to get your beats heard. Everyone is looking for hot beats - only A&Rs are looking for hot artists. Do the math, and boom.

- When networking with people, have a base price on what you're looking for. Example: The average mixtape hosting cost, for well known DJs, is somewhere between $1-3k. Yes, that -is- a significant amount of money - but you can cut it down. If you have in house production/mixing/graphic design - right there you're cutting your costs. You don't want to have to rely on people who might fuck up or push back your deadlines for a project.

- DON'T SHOP AN IDEA. No one cares if you're the first person to spit an entire song while standing on your head in the booth. You're relying on gimmicks if you do this, and that will get you nowhere.

- Your money will always talk louder than you. Period. Face it, and adapt.

- Don't try and ride coattails. Your man got a hot song? Local group starting to pop off? DONT ASK THEM FOR SHIT. They don't give a fuck if you want an edge - they JUST got in the door. Even if they want to, they can't do you any huge favors at that point. The best thing to do is align yourself with acts you respect, and support. When/If they begin to rise, they will gladly share the love with you. Asking after the fact is an obvious give-away that you're too lazy to wait, and thats not good business policy.

- Being no one, can be an advantage. If you haven't found your style, yet - or if you want to change your image to try and incorporate new parts of your personality. Being unknown will make these transitions much easier. If you're already working with a fan base of over 1-2k, you're going to find resistance. Use the time you have, as an unknown artist, to polish and tweak yourself - before presenting yourself in a public way.

- When you're asking for collabs with well known people, whether it be DJs/emcees/producers/clubs, always make sure to follow up. Don't ask a price, and then once you get it - leave it to collect dust while you get the money together. Once you finally get it, they'll have forgotten about you - or they'll be annoyed it took so long. Along with that....

- Don't shop an "almost finished" product. I hope I don't even have to explain the level of novice this depicts to whoever you're hoping to work with. Have a completed project to show them ALONG with the project you're hoping to have them feature on. Trust me, that goes a looooooong way.

- Don't make promises you can't keep/ Don't bluff the big boys. I know its tempting to embellish your fan base, or the accomplishments you have. Hell, its part of the game. But know that the people you look up to, got there by putting work in - and they're not going to be impressed that "Killah Priest left me a myspace comment."

- FREE SHIT. FREE SHIT. FREE SHIT!! If you have a show, don't leave home without that good ol' free shit. Especially key for people with a low fan base. You will find it hard to shop your little mix to people, even for $5 a pop. Make a sampler, with like 4-7 of your best songs/beats on it - and give it away. Watch sales double, and performance attendance increase almost instantly. Its a lot easier to convince someone to listen, if they don't have to come off cash at first. Make sure the sampler leaves them wanting more - and they'll come looking for the full shit.

- Ego. Have one. No one likes a fathead, true. But there is something to be said for a person who can make a claim and then live up to it. Don't brag, but don't sell yourself short. People who are good, know they are good - so if you're unsure, you're probably not there yet.

[Edit #1: Venue Notes]

- Don't book a show before you've been to the actual place, or have someone who has played there before and can tell you what its like. Some places have internet tours, or a little idea on the flyer - but nothing like walking into it and looking around. This is the time to check for little things like stage issues, see what their lighting is like, hear the sound system first hand. All that good shit.

- If you're doing a show for nothing, you better be unknown. I'm serious. ANY act that plays a concert/show/gig in an alcohol serving establishment, is generating money. Even if you don't bring a whole lot of people, or have a huge following. You may keep patrons who were already there, interested enough to stay longer. Now, don't ask for a cut of the bar - at least not off bat. Thats bold and stupid to do as an unknown. You'll wanna start negotiating ticket prices, though. For example, if theres presale tickets available, or any kind of VIP - you'll wanna try and get a chunk of tickets for a bulk price. Figure VIP runs $50 a pop. Work to get a bulk price of $30 or lower, if you pick-up say 20 at a time. You just cut $400 profit, or more if you want to be a dick and jack the cost up. How that works is - thats guaranteed asses in the joint. Regardless of ratio, some will be at the bar - some repeatedly. He makes out good, you make out good. No homo. Booyah.

- Be a showman, its a fucking show. Now, some of this is personal preference - but I like to do a couple joints at the very beginning (when I'm headlining) and then let the openers do their thing and then come back and kill it, for the finish. Others like just waiting around, introducing themselves and talking. Some in VIP like rockstars, wanting to come out with that swagger. Its all what you'd like your show to include. BUT.. in the beginning, you can't afford to be Prince. Do not waste time at a venue by kicking floor and/or looking cool. Even if your openers suck, and you don't feel 'em. Get in the crowd and get the vibe started before you ever set foot on stage. Do yourself the favor of "saving" the mood, if it needs to be, Don't watch your night fall apart to wack break beats. Talk to them as they come off stage, network. Don't just wait around to go on. Meet people, talk to them. Find out why they like you, or if they've even heard of you. Those times, you'll find, are some of the most valuable contacts you can make.

- Don't get so fucked up you can't perform, or perform sloppy. Thats just a tacky insult to the people who came, and maybe paid, to see you. Its your shit. Make it something worth seeing and hearing. Might seem obvious, but high spirits and nervous anticipation are a bitch. Almost everyone has a story about, so be warned.

Thats all yall get for now.
    Feel free to ask questions, or add your own advice.
    I'll do my best to help all.

I'll continue to update this as I think of shit.
    Last edited by Lowd Mowf; August 24th, 2007 at 01:47 AM
    "I never pictured I'd be good at rap, honestly.
    Now I figure I'm too good to rap, modestly."

LM [Ai]

Battle Record
    13-5
    Awards Legendary Member Legendary Battle Legendary OM OM HOF

Re: tips for artists/producers...

Word. And word @ free shit. I figured that one out. Tryna sell shit for $5 a pop. You`d think it`s easy. Doin` the sampler shit makes sense if you don`t wanna just give the full product away for free.

A.i

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Click one of ^those to check out my music and shit

home
    Battle Record
    61-19

yea dope stuff here lowd. gotta get that hustle right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    (new track daily)

Battle Record
    5-3

Quote Originally Posted by Lowd Mowf View Post
    Everyone is looking for hot beats - only A&Rs are looking for hot artists.
    AnRs are looking for hot everything.

Writers, Producers, and Artists.

Anything they can make money from, they're looking for.

You've Earned a Custom Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cain View Post

I think what he meant tho, is that it's alot easier to come by hot producers than hot artist. na mean

Edit: good shit tho lowd mouth

Battle Record
    5-3

Quote Originally Posted by JayFro407 View Post
    I think what he meant tho, is that it's alot easier to come by hot producers than hot artist. na mean
    nah
    there are alot of hot artists, more so than hot producers. The reason i say this is because the artists to producer ratio is like 4:1. Plus a musical composition is alot more subjective than an artists' style.

You've Earned a Custom Title!

Well... There's so many definitions and opinios of what a hott rapper and or producer really is... So it all depends on the given situation if ya askin me.

Battle Record
    6-0

Quote Originally Posted by Lowd Mowf View Post
    Yeah, I guess I can share the obvious secrets.
    This is for anyone who is hoping to get anywhere.
    Some of these are obvious, and some are personal lessons - combined with what you already know.

- If you're and emcee/producer - don't try and get your songs heard. Its pointless. If someone likes your music, they'll listen. SHOP YOUR BEATS. I mean, to everyone with ears. Its waay easier to get your beats heard. Everyone is looking for hot beats - only A&Rs are looking for hot artists. Do the math, and boom.

- When networking with people, have a base price on what you're looking for. Example: The average mixtape hosting cost, for well known DJs, is somewhere between $1-3k. Yes, that -is- a significant amount of money - but you can cut it down. If you have in house production/mixing/graphic design - right there you're cutting your costs. You don't want to have to rely on people who might fuck up or push back your deadlines for a project.

- DON'T SHOP AN IDEA. No one cares if you're the first person to spit an entire song while standing on your head in the booth. You're relying on gimmicks if you do this, and that will get you nowhere.

- Your money will always talk louder than you. Period. Face it, and adapt.

- Don't try and ride coattails. Your man got a hot song? Local group starting to pop off? DONT ASK THEM FOR SHIT. They don't give a fuck if you want an edge - they JUST got in the door. Even if they want to, they can't do you any huge favors at that point. The best thing to do is align yourself with acts you respect, and support. When/If they begin to rise, they will gladly share the love with you. Asking after the fact is an obvious give-away that you're too lazy to wait, and thats not good business policy.

- Being no one, can be an advantage. If you haven't found your style, yet - or if you want to change your image to try and incorporate new parts of your personality. Being unknown will make these transitions much easier. If you're already working with a fan base of over 1-2k, you're going to find resistance. Use the time you have, as an unknown artist, to polish and tweak yourself - before presenting yourself in a public way.

- When you're asking for collabs with well known people, whether it be DJs/emcees/producers/clubs, always make sure to follow up. Don't ask a price, and then once you get it - leave it to collect dust while you get the money together. Once you finally get it, they'll have forgotten about you - or they'll be annoyed it took so long. Along with that....

- Don't shop an "almost finished" product. I hope I don't even have to explain the level of novice this depicts to whoever you're hoping to work with. Have a completed project to show them ALONG with the project you're hoping to have them feature on. Trust me, that goes a looooooong way.

- Don't make promises you can't keep/ Don't bluff the big boys. I know its tempting to embellish your fan base, or the accomplishments you have. Hell, its part of the game. But know that the people you look up to, got there by putting work in - and they're not going to be impressed that "Killah Priest left me a myspace comment."

- FREE SHIT. FREE SHIT. FREE SHIT!! If you have a show, don't leave home without that good ol' free shit. Especially key for people with a low fan base. You will find it hard to shop your little mix to people, even for $5 a pop. Make a sampler, with like 4-7 of your best songs/beats on it - and give it away. Watch sales double, and performance attendance increase almost instantly. Its a lot easier to convince someone to listen, if they don't have to come off cash at first. Make sure the sampler leaves them wanting more - and they'll come looking for the full shit.

- Ego. Have one. No one likes a fathead, true. But there is something to be said for a person who can make a claim and then live up to it. Don't brag, but don't sell yourself short. People who are good, know they are good - so if you're unsure, you're probably not there yet.

Thats all yall get for now.
    Feel free to ask questions, or add your own advice.
    I'll do my best to help all.
    I agree with everything you said, but I like this statement the most. I am pretty sure Neil Young said somthing the same.

"In this buisness you have to know your good"

I will never forget this for the rest of my life, period. Good read though.

Speech is my Hammer Hail the Vibe's Avatar
    Battle Record
    3-14

or if u want to earn gas money, sell tha tapes for $1 a pop

Battle Record
    2-3

One time I had a small show in this rural ass shit club, that I booked before I went to it. (ANOTHER MISTAKE TO NEVER MAKE!!!!)

I knew nobody was going to come out that far, so I got the owner to let me do pre-event tickets, and I just jacked the price 2 dollars a pop.

Sold them to people, WITH THE RIDE TO THE PLACE, guaranteed. Whether you rode with me, or someone I knew who was going. We shipped people there in droves, my man. Made gas money, and spare.

And.. not only did the people have a good time and laugh at being shipped, as much as five deep in a car, to a show. Laughing, smoking Ls and drinking with each other. We accidentally created a loose community in each car, and it worked out great.

The show went fantastic, and the owner was so overwhelmed with the amount of people (first hip-hop show), he was begging for us to come back - and offering us bar cuts and such.

All because I was being a smartass.

GOOD IDEAS AREN'T ALWAYS GOOD. Thats a good tip for people.

LM [Ai]

Battle Record
    2-3

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cain View Post

Well, I didn't mean A&Rs really. I meant people. The general public.

BECAUSE of the reason you stated. Rappers outweigh producers in the grand ratio of things - so it'll be easier to network on your way up.

These kids aren't going to have a finished product to knock an A&R with, on an invited press mailing. I'm talking about the lower rungs of the business. Just gathering a good wind and working small credibility on a local scale.

Theres a lot of things about an individual that might turn people away from their music - as far as emceeing. Voice, delivery, style, cadence, emotion, lyrics, etc. But the BEAT will always be either good or bad.. theres really no gray area for instrumentals, unless you're trying to pioneer a whole new sound.

Either it bangs a head, or gets a look, y'know. Hahaha.

LM [Ai]

Battle Record
    13-5
    Awards Legendary Member Legendary Battle Legendary OM OM HOF

And another thing. Some might agree. Some might not. But don`t be a closet rapper. I mean like yea, if your a text head just tryna step a foot into actually recordin` and don`t even have a nice flow yet. Don`t hop around yellin` I RAP I RAP. But if you see dudes cypherin` at school or whatever. Hop in. Don`t just keep ur shit on the low. That ain`t gonna help you. Back in like freshman year in high school that was me. I`d just chill and watch niggas battlin` or whatever. But like sophmore year til I graduated it was a whole diff. tip. I was doin` the school talent shows. Lunch room cyphers. Whatever. And that shit helped quite a bit for when I actually started doin` local shows with like a $7 cover charge. And it also gets people tellin` other people "yo, dude`s nice (or wack)". But it`ll help your name get around locally. So pretty much what I`m sayin` is don`t just record and post shit on here or just let ur friends hear it. That does help you improve gettin` advice and shit. But that`s about it.

A.i

*Click one of ^those to check out my music and shit

Battle Record
    2-3

FUCKING WORD. I'll add more that, too, here in a second.

Being known for being wack, of being known for being nice.
    EITHER WAY YOU'RE KNOWN.

Thats one big step ahead of the competition.

LM [Ai]

Battle Record
    5-3

I can add some very important tips for producers as well.

the first VERY important tip if you're REALLY trying to get put on as a producer, is to seek out management. Someone who has a reputation, has the connections to at least get your music shopped or presented to other AnR's. DO NOT make one of your buddies your manager. I almost made that mistake long ago, because i didnt know what management entailed.

i actually have professional management now, and my career and mindstate have accelled for it. I have a much better understanding about how things work in the business of music, and how it applies to life in general.

You can do your thing without a manager, BUT... it will probably take much longer. I know not every manager is out there to help you out, and there are some real shady people out there, but there are some real good people too. Im fortunate to have found a good management group, some people aren't so fortunate. That's were the horror storys come from.

Managers will help you get (and keep) your business straight if they know what they're doing. Of course you will have to sign a management contract, and probably allot them a percentage of your profits earned. But in the long run, it's worth it. They handle business when you can't, they talk for you when you can't bring together the words. They can net you placements, and help you gain a rep, and generate buzz.

I wouldn't advise taking on a manager until you are 100% sure you want to push and get to the next level.

I have a truck load of advice to dish out as far as producing, and trying to get in the game... but i'll save it. I think I'm going to make a Music Business forum.

Battle Record
    3-2

Quote Originally Posted by Hail the Vibe View Post
    or if u want to earn gas money, sell tha tapes for $1 a pop
    Not such a bad idea.. they cost about that to be made
    So basicly youre loosin/gaining no money but gaining fans