Battle Record
    2-1

Madden 08 Countdown Thread

Talk about it in here

You've Earned a Custom Title! Icarus's Avatar
    Battle Record
    2-1

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

Madden For Current Generation Systems (PS2 and Xbox)

It's post July 4th and finally we have gotten some information on the new Madden NFL 08 for the Playstation 2 and X-Box. This info comes via an interview done with current gen producer Dan Baker at IGN.. Here are some highlights of the interview:

-Game design this year was geared almost exclusively to the casual user. EA decided that the true hardcore guys have gone on the next-gen for the most part and all that's left is casual gamers.

-New One player drills will teach you advanced techniques which are being dubbed, "Skill Drills." At the end of each game, you will be evaluated and if you aren't using certain features such as hot routes there will be a tool tip box or something similar pop up asking if you'd like to do a tutorial about the feature.

-Weapons are scaled back in current gen, but are still present.

-Hit Stick enhancements made it in this years version, so you can hit high or hit low.

-Not many new animations added. A few more "gang" tackling and catching animations but all in all the game looked fine last year according to the producer.

-No real additions to the franchise mode except to really make it more streamlined for the casual user.

-Fantasy teams are back in a fantasy league type setting. So you have the Mummies and the Tridents playing each other.

Editors Thoughts: My thoughts after reading this are simple. If you are still stuck on a PS2 or Xbox, you owe it to yourself to get off of those platforms quickly, current gen is an ironic statement these days if you are referring to PS2 and XBox because the current gen now is 360 and PS3 (and it has been for about a year now). Unfortunately, if you are stuck on the older platforms, I'm afraid you won't be getting a much improved experience in terms of a better playing football game. Either way, with the tried and true game engine, you will get a similar gameplay experience this year compared to last and that might not be a horrible thing.

Battle Record
    5-3

Re: Madden 08 Countdown Thread

I cannot wait till EA loses exclusive licensing on the NFL.

that way they can put more TLC into Madden, and REALLY improve it, instead of making you pay 50-60 bucks for a few graphic tweaks, a roster update, and minor additions.

As predicted when all this "buying exclusive rights" happened... they seemed to not care about creating the best game possible, cuz there is no competition.
    Welcome to reality.

Battle Record
    11-9

im one of those fuckaz stuck on a ps2.......and will remain there, im content.
    Coronavirus can't get me.

Can't teach you my swag! D. Josey's Avatar
    Battle Record
    41-9
    Awards 25+ Wins

Dog at least you got a PS2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    41-13
    Awards Cypher Winner - Award Request Accepted LLL HOF OM HOF SS HW Champion LLL Champion 1-2 Season Champion 1-2 Punch HW Champion FL Champion 100+ Wins ABL Champion

I have a PS3... but fucka Madden running at only 30FPS
    AI

Battle Record
    2-1

^^^well is it taking a frame drop or is madden just faster on XBox then PS3? Coz the speed madden is on for my ps2 is fine for me. I noticed playin on regular xbox was a little quicker than ps2 back in the day also. No biggie for me.

The new features do have me hyped. Imma dude that will play like 4-5 years of franchise games (some preseason games but not all) and the biggest thing im looking forward to is the new fatigue system. The way I hear it, you cant be running your star receiver down the middle like 5 plays in a row or his ass will be on the DL longer than Neil Patrick Harris from How I Met Your Mother. (makes that into a punchline) the same goes with scrambling QBs and stuff. Like IRL, you gotta sub players out after that big play or before the big drive so that they can come through in the clutch and stay consistent

Battle Record
    2-1

New things in madden you wont find on the back of the cover
    (Video link at the bottom)
    Team Specific Celebrations

We've had player specific celebrations in Madden since Madden NFL 2003, but since we've implemented our "No Post Play Celebration Cut Scene" policy, we really wanted to extend the functionality outside of just players, but to teams. Plus in the example of the Giants, it would not have been very efficient to just tag every player on the Giants with a special animation set. Then also if you had traded that player he would still do the animation on another team, and we didn't want that either.

In the video you can see the immediate reaction from Strahan - doing the jump shot "ballin" celebration that nearly every defensive player on the Giants would do last year. We've got team-specific celebrations for Atlanta (A-Town stomp), Denver (Mile High salute), Philadelphia (Eagle flap), and a few other teams as well.

On an added note, we've even got some special surprises in store for create-a-teams too. I'd encourage you to experiment with scoring touchdowns with some different teams with different logos when you get your hands on the game.

Bad Weather Jukes

This one has been a hotly debated topic around Tiburon...do we want players to slip and fall? It takes control away from the gamer...which is kind of against our mantra this year. We decided to make an exception and have slip and fall jukes in rain or snow games. This is a part of football...so we finally got it in. It doesn't ruin the gameplay experience by any stretch (i.e. you can keep running if no one touches you while you're down), and it's tuned for the player's agility rating. So for the example in the video I used Lorenzo Neal (don't worry - I turned on a debug option to make him slip every time just so I could show it in a video easily - and I froze the defense as well), but the point is that a guy like him will be more at risk to slip and fall when juking than a guy like Tomlinson. I think it is tuned perfectly too...my whole goal with this one was just to put it in the back of your head that you might slip and to keep you wary of it. It's not even close to happening every time (or even every other time) you juke, but it's just enough to get you thinking about it. "I probably shouldn't juke with my fullback right now...but maybe I'll give it a shot". It's also scaled based on the amount of precipitation. If it's a light drizzle you'll rarely see it, if at all, but in a heavy downpour you might run across it every now and then.

I'm really looking forward to expanding this in the coming years. Rain and snow games should really start feeling more and more different. This is something I definitely want opinions from the community on though:

Jukes seem more acceptable to slip because you are controlling the player. If you juke with a non-agile guy in the rain, and you slip and fall, that makes sense. But what about the following...would you want to see things like this in Madden NFL 09?

Receivers and defenders slip and fall on cut moves based on their ratings. This one is totally out of your control, but can be realistic.
    Ball slips out of QB's hand while passing based on ratings (maybe the Carrying rating? Should we make a new rating for this?). Again, pretty much out of your control...you have to pass whether it's raining or not right?
    Holders and punters missing snaps. Man this would infuriate me if it happened in a clutch situation. But look at Romo and the Cowboys...it happens! If it's in the game...should it be in the game?
    Kickers slip and fall on kicks...though I bet this would look pretty funny, what if you missed a game winner because of it? I am assuming a few TV's and controllers would get shattered if we put that in.

Play Action with Short Yardage to go

This is one of my favorites because I actually implemented it. You got it...I've taken up a little programming (a.k.a. hacking away until it somehow works correctly). This was one of the first things I tried, and it caused all kinds of bugs at first, but my engineers were helpful enough to take some time out and help me fix them. Basically the idea is that your RB will fake a dive over the top if you are in a very short yardage situation (i.e. at the goal line on the 1). With our improved camera fakes too this can really throw off your opponent...and it's really a great moment when you see it. I find myself calling PA plays a lot more now just to see it happen. There are a few caveats - your RB has to be heading toward the goal line (i.e. you won't see it on a toss play or a Shotgun option choice), and your RB can't have a run-route assignment after the PA (we did this so it wouldn't ruin your play). So knowing those...make sure you try this one out!

Defender Fakeout Logic

In the grand scheme of things this one is pretty minor, but to me it was extremely important. If you've been keeping up, a big push for this year was to really bring the twitch back and bring user control back to the forefront. With better user control brings back the ability for all of us to pull off what we call "d-pad jukes", which are basically just twitch moves with the stick that don't require hitting a special move button. That's all well and good, but our pursuit AI had gotten so advanced that once we got the control to where we wanted it, the defense was still shutting us down. A solution to this (after more accurately tuning pursuit based on our new pursuit rating) was to implement fakeout animations for defenders if they've over-pursued the play. We've had these animations in Madden and NCAA for a few years now, but they always were triggered off of special moves. This is no longer the case...now if you really work a guy and fake him out with the stick, he'll actually play the animation and truly be out of position.

The video shows just one example - we have tons of different fakeouts that differ between the player types (big guys, medium size guys, and agile guys), and we even have granularity between fatigued players and non-fatigued players.

Luigi Running fixes

I've been so sick of having Mario Running in Madden for the past 15 years that I had to call it something different - hence Luigi running. If you don't know what Mario Running is, it's a reference to any Mario game - if you take Mario up to a wall and just keep running, he'll keep running in place which is what our players often did when they ran into the back of the line. I wonder who coined this phrase...does anyone know?

But what a great moment to say that it's finally gone. No longer do your players get stuck on the back of linemen or teammates. We first had to change a lot of collision code to make players a bit more "slippery" in terms of physics, and then after that we added all kinds of special animations to take care of the instances that were problem areas. The video example shows a nice push-the-pile animation...if you're using a guy like LJ you'll see animations more like that. If you're using a guy like Warrick Dunn though, you'll see much more of the get-skinny and "slip by" animations. We used our new Ballcarrier Vision rating to really differentiate the players in how they react in that situation...I think you'll be very pleased with the results.

So that's all for now - please send your comments on the weather issue...I really would like that feedback as we start planning for next year.

Banned
    Battle Record
    1-5

ps2 madden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 360 madden

Battle Record
    30-12

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinman View Post
    ps2 madden >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 360 madden

^^Is too poor to get a 360. . .

the next gen Maddens shit all over the PS2/Xbox ones. . .

Battle Record
    83-5
    Awards 75+ Wins

yea that no comp shit is bringing madden down.... but i still but my $5 down at gamestop to pre-order my copyyyyyyyyyy holla

Banned
    Battle Record
    1-5

The gameplay for ps2 is much better (more NFL like), and in ps2 you can challenge, and change your uniforms

Cowboys!
    Battle Record
    3-1

10 more days. shit's gonna be sick. I'm not going outside or talking to my girlfriend for a few days lol.

Battle Record
    83-41
    Awards 50+ Wins

word..

i've been copping madden games since 02

so that makes me 10 years old when i started. :/

Cowboys!
    Battle Record
    3-1

^^ lol .. I started in 03 or 04, whenever Marshall Faulk was on the cover.

a friend of mine had it when Culpepper was on it, back when they had mulligan's and shit. I had never played before and was gettin my ass kicked by him, then i finally break like a 70 yard run and he brings that shit back. i was like WTF