User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My Beats Sound.....

You've Earned a Custom Title!

My Beats Sound.....

Gay.

Ok, not gay, i think the last couple i've made are actually pretty decent, but they sound empty, like there needs to be more to them, but i can never find or think of anything that would make it sound full.

I'm really new at producing, but are there some little tricks and things i could throw in that would make the beat more interesting and less dull?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dub A Productions

Battle Record
    5-3

Re: My Beats Sound.....

what do you mean by full?
    you mean sound/mixwise or instrument wise?
    Welcome to reality.

if your talkin instruments, one thing is to not keep thinking..but just try....throw all kinda shit in there....switch shit up....keep addin and removin till it sounds how u want...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hasta la victoria siempre
    Battle Record
    1-1

theres no tricks that can make you better, just practice, if you were meant to make beats your gona develop an ear and ability to create what you want to hear.

it took me about a year of practice to make something actually worth listening to.

but here is some shit that i do that are my style..you can try them if you want. put bassnotes in synch with kicks, like on and around them so you create a rhythm with the kick drum and the bassline. the melody should be in synch with hats and snares.

when there is a bassnote that holds for a long time... make the hats louder and faster.
    Last edited by Junio; February 10th, 2007 at 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Heat
    I said shorten your fucking sig...

-Me...

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cain
    what do you mean by full?
    you mean sound/mixwise or instrument wise?
    both, i mean, shit just doesn't mesh like it should. I'm definitely gonna try the techniques above and see how it works out. My shit (in my opinion) doesn't sound bad at all, i actually made a beat the other day i'm considering writing to. I think some drum breakdowns during transitions between chorus and verse will help.

In the actual process of mixing it down, is there like a special tutorial i should check out? because i've heard it does wonders.

Dub A Productions

You've Earned a Custom Title! RiQue's Avatar

There's some shit in tutorial section on this board about this...

ESKWIRE
    Battle Record
    6-3

beats...

it aint easy startin out...keep at it tho...learn to sample...and fuck wit every sound/plugin/vst/effect that is made...the only way your gonna get better is by continuously making beats...everyday...no matter what...even if you dont feel like it...just crank somethin out...

theres no standard to follow...what so ever...do you...do what you think is hotness...it might not be to everybody else right now...but once you keep pumpin that shit out...and gettin better, youve developed your own unique style...and people feel it

as far as emptiness...that comes wit bein new to it...i think everybody starts out wit empty ass beats...but what i look to do...is listen to the basic idea of the beat...the bare beat...and think to myself the melody that should be played, the instrument that should be played...and play it out...if you cant vibe wit it...delete it...

another thing you can do: if your good at makin drum loops, just keep bangin out drum loops for a day, and then come back the next day and try to add melodies to it...id say take your basic beat and load up any sound (piano, strings, synth, bass...whatever) and just push keys until you find somethin you like

dont worry about soundin professional right now...your want to sound professional will be the thing that eventually makes your shit sound professional...feel me?

good luck
    PR

[SOUNDCLICK]2959062&q=hi[/SOUNDCLICK]

Up Against the Wind

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Time
    beats...

it aint easy startin out...keep at it tho...learn to sample...and fuck wit every sound/plugin/vst/effect that is made...the only way your gonna get better is by continuously making beats...everyday...no matter what...even if you dont feel like it...just crank somethin out...

theres no standard to follow...what so ever...do you...do what you think is hotness...it might not be to everybody else right now...but once you keep pumpin that shit out...and gettin better, youve developed your own unique style...and people feel it

as far as emptiness...that comes wit bein new to it...i think everybody starts out wit empty ass beats...but what i look to do...is listen to the basic idea of the beat...the bare beat...and think to myself the melody that should be played, the instrument that should be played...and play it out...if you cant vibe wit it...delete it...

another thing you can do: if your good at makin drum loops, just keep bangin out drum loops for a day, and then come back the next day and try to add melodies to it...id say take your basic beat and load up any sound (piano, strings, synth, bass...whatever) and just push keys until you find somethin you like

dont worry about soundin professional right now...your want to sound professional will be the thing that eventually makes your shit sound professional...feel me?

good luck

Thanks man, i really appreciate it.

Dub A Productions

Battle Record
    2-1

for full sounding beats you just need

1) GOOD quality sounding instruments (not okay not decent GOOOOOD)
    2) hot melodies

hot melodies are alot of the time very simple

alot of the time u wind up with a melody thats not really hot
    so u add more thinking the beat jus needs more sounds
    and it continues like that til u wind up with a bunch of jus bland melodies

"grindin"
    was a drumline, and some sound effects on the chorus

i saw on Timbalands "Diary" (MTV) busta rhymes pressed a note on a keyboard and a percussion loop popped up and he went nuts

it was jus a percussion loop.
    no instruments.

and he started writing to it instantly

you also gotta figure ur jus laying down the music
    it has to be good enough to inspire somebody to write BUT
    its not even half the track

alot of the main ingredients of a hit song come from the vocalist

for example.. "ballin" was an ok beat to me...but Jim Jones had a catchy ass hook on it which made it a hit song

alchemist said his job doesent start until he has the rapper spittin to the beat right next to em in the studio

so dont worry about putting too much into the beat
    u jus need hot sounds and hot melodies

practice by trying to replay a simple melody of a hit song
    try the cassie song "me & u"
    once uve got it perfected

try a similar melody on one of your own beats
    <center><hr>

yayer.

Battle Record
    5-3

or you can learn how to create complex HOT music... like Ciara's "Promise"... or Luda's "Runaway Love"... (EDIT: lol@them being produced by the same person)

if you can make your instruments breath together, and become a living organism itself... THAT... is also what's hot right now. Also look at Jeezy's "Go Getta", and how R Kelly stacked the sounds on "That's That"... it minimalistic, but thick and full at the same time.

also be aware that alot of the "fullness" of the sounds you hear on the radio cant be reproduced without the right combination of preamps, and outboard gear, like convertors, and compressors, and consoles, and etc... its really all in the tools, and the knowledge.

yeah i dont really agree on the simple shit....simple shit works....but....its not very impressive...not in my eyes anyway....i hear this shit on the radio and im like wtf?!!?....a simple drumloop...with a couple notes off a cheap synthesizer.....like for instance Laffy Taffy....that songs a fuckin joke man...but they made mad loot off of it...the very first preset on Wasp in fruityloops was the main instrument.....i coulda did that shit with my eyes closed....it dont impress me...i got respect for the fact that they accomplished what they set out to do...which was make money.....but from a beat-makers stand-point...i have no respect for it at all......i put time and effort into making things evolve and having more than a lil bit to it and still sound dope....but im broke...they press a couple buttons and make it seem like they dont give a shit about the beat, and get rich...damn...

ESKWIRE
    Battle Record
    6-3

no doubt loop...i feel that a hundred
    tax...timbos a favorite (icebox got me real quick)
    cas...you nailed it

people dont realize theres alot of shit that goes into production...people see these mainstream hits wit simple progressions and double time high hat patterns...808 clap...808 kick...and they think thats what producins all about...

if they only knew
    PR

[SOUNDCLICK]2959062&q=hi[/SOUNDCLICK]

Up Against the Wind

Battle Record
    5-3

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPxDIGGA
    i put time and effort into making things evolve and having more than a lil bit to it and still sound dope....but im broke...they press a couple buttons and make it seem like they dont give a shit about the beat, and get rich...damn...
    that's because they had a team behind them, that knew the right people to "break" that track.

it's not about talent anymore so much in the industry now, it's about personal connections and relaitonships.

Laffy Taffy is a perfect example of this.

Battle Record
    5-3

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Time
    people dont realize theres alot of shit that goes into production...people see these mainstream hits wit simple progressions and double time high hat patterns...808 clap...808 kick...and they think thats what producins all about...

if they only knew

yea man...
    some cats think its easy to just churn out a simple beat... there is a lot involved mixing wise, to get that "fullness", even in the most simple sounding beats.

Alot of times its the song overall that makes it a hit as opposed to the beat. Like... Laffy Taffy for instance... it was so weird, and out of the ordinary when it came out, that thats what people bit. The catchy hook, and the weirdness of that Wasp XT synth preset...LOL. While most people, like me, snarled that some shit like that got pumped... you couldnt help but wonder wtf that says about the state of the average listener.

Battle Record
    1-2

Yo you just need to practice, thats ALL. I been producin for a few months, and listen to the quality of my beats. I thought the same thing around when I started because my beats sucked, but now that I got the game its easy for me to make a hit.
    HOTTEST BEATS EVER AT LINKS BELOW!
    soundclick.com/dtproductions
    myspace.com/dennistproductions

NEWEST BEAT ON SOUNDCLICK: "HUSTLERS ANTHEM"
    [SOUNDCLICK]6686112[/SOUNDCLICK]