User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Microphone

You've Earned a Custom Title!

Microphone

I have a at2020 now I think im gonna get the rode nt1 but i want to make sure that there will be noticeable change? if not should i go with trying to use under $200?

Battle Record
    5-4
    To be honest, you'll notice a change but not the kind of change you're going to expect. I had a Samson C01, than got a Rode NT2-A... the Rode sounds much better to me but not like "Oh, schnap!" that's better. There's too many other variables that can effect your recording.
    Chez Scheme - Can you INTERPRET *this?
    You're rhyming with a "lisp" how I "interpret" is a wonder
    You all know my "scheme" (set! wackRappers sixFeetUnder)

Listen to the Wackness

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm Only Here 4 ME Fuck U TheUnderRated's Avatar
    Battle Record
    57-36
    <--- doesn't understand why kids can't figure out there is a sticky thread to ask microphone questions in .....
    INSANE JOKA LYRICIST

Retired.
    Battle Record
    58-0
    Samson C01U works very well, Full set up with everything in there is like $150 - $180 ish

resistance is futile.
    there is someone here selling his rode nt-1a for 150$, opey is selling it for that much too, now think about it

Battle Record
    2-0
    Lmao, Opey is selling it for $150, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Shazz™
    Samson C01U works very well, Full set up with everything in there is like $150 - $180 ish
    What do you mean the 'full set-up'? This microphone is recommended for people with the tightest budget and have no desire to invest in a pre-amp or recording soundcard. People with $200 to spend shoulden't get this microphone. No, the Samson does not work 'very well', to tell you the truth. Since your plugging it straight into your computer you need to have a decent motherboard. Since you can't use a pre-amp with the microphone the vocals will sound sort of dry. The USB mic connection has been known to pick up a lot of PC noise and you will need to use some sort of noise-reduction tool. But, as Opey put it..."if you're pinching pennies you're probably not going to care." This is all in The Microphone Thread, lol..Read..
    I got a buddy named drop dead Fred, He ain't really real, he my imaginary friend,
    My mama said that I shoulden't talk to him, Cause I look crazy when I start to fuck with him..

I am me
    Everybody is going to recommend to you a different mic because "their mic is the best".

I recommend hitting up a store that has several on display that you can listen to. You will not hear much of a difference between many of the mics. You will be suprised at how some very cheap mics sounds just as good or better than some of the more expensive ones. You can read specs and talk about them all you want but it really comes down to what the mic actually sounds like and if you like it or not.

I have a cheap MXL990 and it sounds pretty similar to Ty T YT's Rhode NT2A. I'm using a 1820M and he's using a Presonus Eureka Pro and an MBox. He has recorded at my place and at his. The NT2A has variable pick up patterns. This helps because he doesn't record sound bouncing back at the mic off of the walls.

Sometimes a certain product will be recommended so much and so many people will buy it that it is automatically thought of as "the best deal out there". This is not true. Go listen to the mics and pick out what you like. You won't notice much difference between what you have and what is in your price range.
    Last edited by dren; June 8th, 2006 at 09:44 AM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    83-5
    Awards 75+ Wins
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am..
    Lmao, Opey is selling it for $150, too...

What do you mean the 'full set-up'? This microphone is recommended for people with the tightest budget and have no desire to invest in a pre-amp or recording soundcard. People with $200 to spend shoulden't get this microphone. No, the Samson does not work 'very well', to tell you the truth. Since your plugging it straight into your computer you need to have a decent motherboard. Since you can't use a pre-amp with the microphone the vocals will sound sort of dry. The USB mic connection has been known to pick up a lot of PC noise and you will need to use some sort of noise-reduction tool. But, as Opey put it..."if you're pinching pennies you're probably not going to care." This is all in The Microphone Thread, lol..Read..
    waves has a virtual pre-amp...

but who cares... buy a fucking mic u won't regreat having end of story

Battle Record
    2-0
    Quote Originally Posted by dren
    Everybody is going to recommend to you a different mic because "their mic is the best".

I recommend hitting up a store that has several on display that you can listen to. You will not hear much of a difference between many of the mics. You will be suprised at how some very cheap mics sounds just as good or better than some of the more expensive ones. You can read specs and talk about them all you want but it really comes down to what the mic actually sounds like and if you like it or not.

I have a cheap MXL990 and it sounds pretty similar to Ty T YT's Rhode NT2A. I'm using a 1820M and he's using a Presonus Eureka Pro and an MBox. He has recorded at my place and at his. The NT2A has variable pick up patterns. This helps because he doesn't record sound bouncing back at the mic off of the walls.

Sometimes a certain product will be recommended so much and so many people will buy it that it is automatically thought of as "the best deal out there". This is not true. Go listen to the mics and pick out what you like. You won't notice much difference between what you have and what is in your price range.
    The Rode NT2A blows the MXL 990 out of the water. What are you saying, man. Seriously. If both microphones are tried out in the exact same recording enviroment, you will see the Rode puts the MXL to shame.
    I got a buddy named drop dead Fred, He ain't really real, he my imaginary friend,
    My mama said that I shoulden't talk to him, Cause I look crazy when I start to fuck with him..

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty T. YT
    To be honest, you'll notice a change but not the kind of change you're going to expect. I had a Samson C01, than got a Rode NT2-A... the Rode sounds much better to me but not like "Oh, schnap!" that's better. There's too many other variables that can effect your recording.
    word... i went from an MXL 990 to a Rode NT1a. i was impressed but it wasnt untill i weeded out the other shit hurting my quality that I realized how much better of a sound the mic had.

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    100% agree with trying out mics before you buy.

100% disagree that the MXL 990 sounds remotely as good as the Rode NT1a or NT2. I have both mics and can easily show you how they both sound completely raw and unmixed. It's night and day.

Battle Record
    5-4
    Quote Originally Posted by I Am..
    The Rode NT2A blows the MXL 990 out of the water. What are you saying, man. Seriously. If both microphones are tried out in the exact same recording enviroment, you will see the Rode puts the MXL to shame.
    Dude, no one's saying the MXL990 is as good as a Rode NT2-A... I don't know if you actually ever recorded anything but the biggest desparity in mics are between Dynamic and Condeser mics. The reality of the sound difference to the general population between an MXL 990 and a Rode NT2-A is minimal... Sure I can tell the difference between my vocals and how I sound on the two mics but most people don't listen that closely or hear your raw lyrics. You add a beat in a shit you probably don't hear that extra static or notice the extra muddiness.

Price of recording equipment seems to exponetially grow compared to quality improvement.... Meaning at cheaper prices you notice larger quality differences than higher prices.
    Chez Scheme - Can you INTERPRET *this?
    You're rhyming with a "lisp" how I "interpret" is a wonder
    You all know my "scheme" (set! wackRappers sixFeetUnder)

Listen to the Wackness

Battle Record
    2-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty T. YT
    Dude, no one's saying the MXL990 is as good as a Rode NT2-A... I don't know if you actually ever recorded anything but the biggest desparity in mics are between Dynamic and Condeser mics. The reality of the sound difference to the general population between an MXL 990 and a Rode NT2-A is minimal... Sure I can tell the difference between my vocals and how I sound on the two mics but most people don't listen that closely or hear your raw lyrics. You add a beat in a shit you probably don't hear that extra static or notice the extra muddiness.

Price of recording equipment seems to exponetially grow compared to quality improvement.... Meaning at cheaper prices you notice larger quality differences than higher prices.
    I have a cheap MXL990 and it sounds pretty similar to Ty T YT's Rhode NT2A.
    What else did he mean by that? ^

The Rode NT2A will give you a better sound then the MXL 990. That's all I'm trying to say. It's just somthing that can't be denied. Put them up against each other in the same recording enviroment and anybody who knew anything would be able to tell the difference between the quality each gives.

I've heard the MXL 990 hundreds of times and I've heard the Rode NT1-A more then a few times..both used on proper songs. There was a considerable difference in quality.

Battle Record
    2-0
    I don't understand what your arguing with me about? I'm saying the Rode puts the MXL to shame and your saying the same..but it dosen't matter because you think most people can't tell the difference?

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    people cant tell the difference untill they listen to the next track on their mp3 player. there's definitely a point where most people would never know the difference, but that line is up around the $1000+ gear.

but does that even matter? who cares about other people? YOU can hear the quality difference and as a musician that should matter. most people cant hear the difference between a Hamer guitar and a PRS but a guitarist would get smacked for pretending he'd rather have the Hamer.