User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Smoking bans ahoy!

Battle Record
    14-3

Smoking bans ahoy!

13 states have already imposed public smoking bans. =\

I personally believe that you should be allowed to smoke almost anywhere with the obvious exceptions being hospitals and such. But they are banning smoking in public places and getting caught often means a hefty fine.

They are also calling "bars" public places. Bars are not public places in the legal sense. Bars are privately run businesses and they should be able to conduct their operations as they please.

Why ban smoking in bars? If there was really an uproar about smoking in bars wouldn't some non-smoking bars have opened up to accomodate the non-smoking population? It is a free market ya know!

Most people like to argue the second hand smoke point. But there hasn't been any (accurate) study on the effects of second hand smoke. Exposing yourself to second hand smoke for a few hours twice a week isn't that bad either. Constant exposure to poisons such as smoke would be harmful but in reality you probably aren't inhaling a full cigarettes worth of smoke on any given night in a bar. I'd say the only people who could use this argument are maybe the employees of the bar who may spend 40 hours a week inside such an establishment.

And outside too? Holy fuck! I highly doubt smoking outside affects that many people with the amount of cars zooming by you every day. Is it that hard to ask a smoker to not smoke around you when you're at the bus stop or where ever? I've never seen a smoker tell someone to shove it when they've been asked politely smoke somewhere else. You only need move a few feet away.

Smokers are getting the short end of the stick with these bans. In my smoking days I would go outside since the bar never provided a smoking area (there was an area provided but you weren't allowed to be in it unless you were gambling) and often times I wouldn't be let back in. Smokers were told to go outside but unless you were a girl there was a 1% chance of getting back in. Even if they do let you back in often they would try to charge you the cover charge as well.

Discuss!

~*~*~DR - BEST FRIENDS CREW 4 LIFE~*~*~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Battle Record
    16-4
    WTF happened to the good ole days

when smoking was even allowed in the hospitals?
    Monster's Ink

2xOMHoF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Courtesy of: Elvis Freshly

Battle Record
    14-3
    Quote Originally Posted by -=|TumTum|=-
    WTF happened to the good ole days

when smoking was even allowed in the hospitals?
    I never said it was allowed but I'm saying it would be the obvious exception.

Battle Record
    9-5
    I was in NYC right after they did that shit....was real fucked up to see people standing outside of the bar smoking....I was like....where the fuck am I?

<br>
    one.<br>

Originally Posted by Ha Style
    Then at night, I had a dream where she was King Kong and she climbed the school with me screaming in her hand.

Battle Record
    14-3
    Quote Originally Posted by 1up
    I was in NYC right after they did that shit....was real fucked up to see people standing outside of the bar smoking....I was like....where the fuck am I?
    lmao@some bars ignoring the bans though

They replaced ashtrays with jars of water called "Smoker Jars" to put change in to help pay the fines.

Battle Record
    9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by inspire
    lmao@some bars ignoring the bans though

They replaced ashtrays with jars of water called "Smoker Jars" to put change in to help pay the fines.
    lmao....never saw that, but that's classy shit.

<br>
    one.<br>

Originally Posted by Ha Style
    Then at night, I had a dream where she was King Kong and she climbed the school with me screaming in her hand.

You've Earned a Custom Title! `Jammin' Jobus's Avatar
    yeah second hand smoke is bad. i think they're pretty sure of that. altho i think the bars should have the choice...I HATE it when people smoke in public near me. SHIT is just irritating.

i hope every states does the ban...cause u think smoking just effects the smoker but it doesn't 2nd hand smoking is just as deadly and it's unfair that we have to put up with health risks just so u can guys smoke everywhere...and don't even start saying 2nd hand smoking doesn't effect us cause look how dana reeves died she was never a smoker and got lung cancer...my dad used to smoke in the house and i caught loads of problems cause of it.

d-_-b
    Battle Record
    1-7
    lmao at second hand smoke

go to philippines, as soon as you walk out of the airport, you'll almost be like smoking 20 ciggs at one time when you breathe. that's not exagerratin neither
    it's fucked.

Battle Record
    16-4
    i love hooters

and those restaurants that are like it that have like an imaginary line where you can and cant smoke

like that makes no sense...its not like that line is goin to block my smoke lol
    Monster's Ink

2xOMHoF

Courtesy of: Elvis Freshly

Battle Record
    14-3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bebe
    i hope every states does the ban...cause u think smoking just effects the smoker but it doesn't 2nd hand smoking is just as deadly and it's unfair that we have to put up with health risks just so u can guys smoke everywhere...and don't even start saying 2nd hand smoking doesn't effect us cause look how dana reeves died she was never a smoker and got lung cancer...my dad used to smoke in the house and i caught loads of problems cause of it.
    You're talking constant exposure over a period of years as opposed to twice a week at a maximum in an already well ventilated establishment. Plus when you're developing as a child certain things such as smoke will have a greater effect on you. I don't know about you but I never see children in bars.

I also knew a guy who was a vegetarian, exercised daily and died of a heart attack while running at the age of 30. Correlation does not prove causation.

Soule
    Sorry fam but it's true.

Battle Record
    14-3
    Quote Originally Posted by .Jay.
    Sorry fam but it's true.
    You show me a study that proves it's a noticable health risk in the context of this argument.

Banned
    Battle Record
    3-2
    NO to banning smoking outside and bars...

Jobs and schools are banning smoking near the buildings...

Which is fair... but not when you're out in the streets...

d-_-b
    Battle Record
    1-7
    was this law passed due to health risks or cause of the complaints about the health risks?