User Tag List

Page 1 of 53 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 795

Thread: The God, Religion, Questions & Answers thread!

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion

Questions on God? the Bible? Ask Nate:

Edited by : Queeny
    Instead of making 10 threads in reguards to the same topic, it's better to discuss it all in one.
    Thx!

-------
    EDIT: Note from Nate: This thread has been merged with several on similar topics as mentioned by Queeny. Thus it now contains answers on questions about the Muslim faith and various diverse similar subjects, as well. While lengthy, it is most likely the single most educational thread on faith related matters in RB history. Thank you to all contributors, please enter with a calm head and a reasonable spirit.

---
    Ok, I see people confused and asking questions everywhere. Then they recieve a vast array of even more confusing answers from many sources and leave even more perplexed than they started. I did this on hhp for a while, now I bring it to rb. Never fear, I shall not insult your intellect in this thread, all questions are good questions. A few ground rules:

1. You must believe in God, under whatever name you will.
    2. You must have a great deal of respect for the Bible.
    3. You must profess to be a Christian or have a respect for Christian idealogy.

This thread is not open for debate on whether God exists, or whether the Bible is reliable; it presupposes that you hold these beliefs. If you do, and have questions, fire away. If you don't and wish to discuss these things with me, PM me or open a thread specifically for such. Don't bring it in here. This is for those with faith, seeking the logic behind that faith.

My credibility comes from my having been a Bible student since I was able to read. The proof however is in the pudding as they say, I have little doubt that after a few questions and answers you will feel quite confident in my ability. If you wish scriptural citation for a response to any question, you have but to ask for it.

This resource will be available to you until I get tired and/or two weeks at a mininum.

Go:
    Last edited by SMZ; December 31st, 2005 at 12:31 AM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    This is a placeholder. I will be updating this post with shortened versions of all questions posed and answered herein.

EDIT: This index is hopelessly out of date. Sorry, I'll make a project of updating it one of these nights.

1. What were the Nephilim?
    The Nephilim were hybrid offspring from relations between angelic sons of God and human daughters of men. They were larger than normal humans, and may have had other extra-ordinary abilities. They were generally violent and most likely the cause of demi-god myths such as Herculeas, etc.

2. Who is more likely to be 'saved', a Muslim? or a Jew?
    Generally speaking, either is just as likely, considering that most persons are not knowledgeable about their faiths; and the Bible promises that all who make mistakes thru ignorance will be given a chance to be taught and make informed choices. However, Jews who have studied the inspired writings of Moses and the Prophets, should realize that Christ is their promised savior. To study and yet refuse the direction given, is a grave matter.

3. What is Jesus relationship to God?
    Jesus is God's only beggoten son. The first creature which God created, and the only creature to be purely created by God. After his creation, God allowed his son to assist him in creating all other things. When we say 'Jesus' here, we refer to his pre-human existence as Michael the archangel, who had his life-force transferred to the womb of the human virgin Mary.

4. Am I doomed for not believing in God completely?
    No. If you have not been taught what to do, you can hardly be expected to do it. Secondly, we are all imperfect, we are merely required to do our best. With knowledge comes responsibility however. But in the end, if you are trying your best to live a 'good' life to the best of your knowledge, then you can have a good hope of having your questions conclusively answered in a better world.

5. How do we know Jesus really existed?
    We have four biographical accounts of his life, as well as numerous other references which are found in what is known as the Christian Greek Scriptures. Additionally, secular sources such as Jospehus (a historian of the time) mention his existence in passing. You can't ask for much more proof of someone's existence. If that is not enough, then quite frankly you would have to doubt the existence of almost every person which you hadn't met yourself, and maybe even some of them.
    Last edited by SMZ; December 31st, 2005 at 12:27 AM

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Asaph
    what do you think about the Nephlum?

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    The Nephilim were hybrid creatures. Offspring from matings of angelic sons of god who took on human bodies, (we have accounts that show that angels possess this ability), and the 'daughters of men'. These beings were humanoid in appearance, but unnaturally large. Any other special or unique abilities they may have had is unknown. What is known is that they took after their fathers. These angels had forsaken their proper places and rebelled against God, the Nephilim displayed a similar spirit, and were generally violent bullies; taking whatever they desired. The prescence of wicked spirit creatures and these hybrid violent 'nephilim' - which means "fellers of men" in other words "killers/murderers" - was a great contributing factor to God's declaration that the earth was filled with badness, and his decision to cause the great Flood to wash away all wickedness.

There is some speculation that Noah may have been a Nephilim. This is because in later years we have accounts of other unnaturally large tribes of people, (such as the Anakim, Goliath, etc), perhaps throwbacks to the corrupted genes. This is however pure speculation, it is also possible that such persons were merely freaks of nature... even today there are big people from time to time, after all.

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    37-1
    Generally, who will find paradise between jews and muslims?

New Writejist Song - Tito Ortiz

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    A knowledgeable muslim has a better chance than a knowledgeable jew. When you consider that most people are not knowledgeable about their faith however, the odds are even. Anyone who does not follow Christ out of ignorance, will be given a chance to learn their error and correct it, as promised in the Bible.

I seperate those who are knowledgeable in their faith however, because a Jew who is familiar with the writings of Moses and the Prophets should know that Jesus was the promised Messiah. There were numerous signs given to the Jews, so that they would know the Messiah when he came. The 'teachers' of their day, recognized that Jesus was the Messiah, but their selfish greedy desires caused them to refuse his direction. They went as far as to put him to death and to call for his blood to remain on them and their children.

So, for a Jew who studies the scriptures and yet willingly refuses to accept the guidence it provides him... well, it is a grave matter to willingly refuse. Muslims on the other hand have no such expectations placed upon them. Their scriptures were not provided by God, (I realize this may offend some, I speak purely from my viewpoint in this case), and thus they have no reason to be expected to realize the truth about Jesus.

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    37-1
    Who provided muslim scriptures?

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    Mohammed heard a voice in the desert. My speculation on the source of that voice would undoubtably be offensive to any followers of Islam reading this, and so I will not indulge in it. Suffice to say, in my opinion, and to followers of Christ, that voice was not from God.

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    37-1
    Quote Originally Posted by SMZ
    Mohammed heard a voice in the desert. My speculation on the source of that voice would undoubtably be offensive to any followers of Islam reading this, and so I will not indulge in it. Suffice to say, in my opinion, and to followers of Christ, that voice was not from God.
    Don't be a pussy, I asked a question and I want to know.

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    I'm not an expert on Islam. I'm merely familiar with it.

I'm not going to go out of my way to insult other faiths. To a Christian it can not have been God's voice, because some of the teachings of Mohammed conflict with the teachings of Christ. Such as, Muslims believe that Mohammed was the truest prophet. Other prophets are given respect, but they are inferior to Mohammed. To a Christian Christ is the greatest source for learning about God.

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

home
    Battle Record
    61-19
    i'm a lil' bit offended...but i guess thats your viewpoint, that muhammad pbuh was some kind of looney who hear things in the desert. astaghfirllah.

Anyway i got a question:
    Which one is the correct view, to say the Jesus is God's 'only begotten' son, or God's 'unique' son.

There seems to be a huge contradiction about this point within the different versions of the bible.

(new track daily)

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    I apologize for offending you, I understand we have different viewpoints, which is why I'd rather not go into anybody elses beliefs, this was supposed to be just for Christians to educate themselves about the reasons behind their faith... but Merge is getting all sidetracked

To answer your question, Jesus is God's 'only begotten' son. In several places the Bible calls him the "firstborn of creation". So the Bible teaches that Jesus was the first being God created. Then he worked in concert with his father to create all other things. Perhaps I should say 'Michael the archangel' did. That being did not become the human 'Jesus' until God transferred his life-force into the womb of the human virgin Mary.

By calling him the 'only begotten', God is refering to Jesus being the only creature which was created purely by God. All other things were created with the father allowing his son to help.

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    5-2
    Am I going to heaven?

Things to know:

I believe that the existance of a God is absurd, but yet there's
    a part of me that believes he exists because of the beliefs instilled
    into me as a kid. All the..."you sin you go to hell" shit. I keep
    that little bit of faith as a safety net so that in case there is a
    God, I might make heaven. Ya know? I never go to church, never
    pray, none of that. So for those with little to no faith, what happens
    after death?
    "And I feel like an idiot working my day
    around a call but when I pick up I don't know what to say"

._.
    Battle Record
    15-2
    I am in the same boat as Savir, so I'd like to know. Thank you for writing it for me, Sav.

Battle Record
    16-3
    Quote Originally Posted by SMZ
    I'm not an expert on Islam. I'm merely familiar with it.

I'm not going to go out of my way to insult other faiths. To a Christian it can not have been God's voice, because some of the teachings of Mohammed conflict with the teachings of Christ. Such as, Muslims believe that Mohammed was the truest prophet. Other prophets are given respect, but they are inferior to Mohammed. To a Christian Christ is the greatest source for learning about God.
    inferior? All prophets are equally respected and recognized, but Mohammed was the last and the one who brought Islam to the masses, so he is often discussed since he had one of the largest roles in the religion. Inferior? The Qu'ran mentions Jesus more than it does Mohammed

Please don't talk about something you don't understand or know much about, alot of what (actually all of it) is incorrect in regards to my religion