User Tag List

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Ras Kass

The R in RB.Com
    Battle Record
    5-1

Ras Kass

Heres an interesting bio i found on him, this is probably old but ohh well.

Biography
    If ya dont know by now, Ras Kass is one of the underground's finest. He makes his home in Sunny southern california, but he is far from a gangsta rapper. He is regarded as one of the top lyricists in the game. His quotables are far too many to list.
    Ras was born John Austin, and is a member of the Soleside's Crew. He is in an elite group of emcees period.

His debut was a classic, period. Lyrically, he is in a class by himself, his off-beat flow characterizes his whole style: Off-beat, or different from the norm. He, along with Xzibit and Saafir, form a group called the Golden State Warriors.

The Hip-Hop Underground is in a constant state of evolution. The man who is willing to go out on a limb, to take a risk with an ill metaphor or an offbeat type flow, is the one the jeep denizens proclaim king. You may not know the true identities of these unnamed emcees you see in ciphers on darkened rooftops, street corners or dance floors, sweat pouring down their faces as they spit metaphors and similes towards the ears of nodding heads, but their aftershocks can be felt for miles.

It's the Anonymous, not those plastic wannabe fools throwing up fake gang signs and gun boasts while big booty bitches wiggle ass for the camera, who are the guardians of Hip-Hop's soul. In the spirit of creation, the true underground niggaz are keeping the jaded critics continually checking for rap, despite that many herald the impending 'death' of the art form. As Rap Music makes it's mad dash towards the mainstream, a few lone individuals stayed behind to keep the integrity and raw fervor alive, so that the culture will survive long after the corporate machine whets it's appetite the next popular phenomenon.

RAS KASS is one of the chosen few, the prodigal son of the underground. Like the Ethiopian King he named himself after, Ras is the offspring of lyrical kings, that man who has made it his sole mission in life to bring the flavor and creativity back to Hip-Hop without the consistent glock boasts. If Rakim is God rocking a microphone, then RAS KASS, along with fellow disciples KRS One, Nas, Chino XL, Method Man, Buckshot and the other members of his crew is spreading the R's gospel to a Hip-Hop constituency in desperate need of a leader.

Though his rhyme skills are interplanetary, Ras himself came up in Watts and Carson 21 years ago as John Ausin. Rap has been a part of his life as long as he can remember. "I think I was rappin' before I even realized I was rapping", he reflects. "When I look back, I realize that I've been rhymin' since I was about 8. I didn't really know what I was saying, so I didn't really try to get serious at it until 1987." He came upon the name RAS KASS (the name of a rival king of the African Kingdom of Shoa, the 4th son of John) while reading about his African heritage. Ras himself is also the 4th son of John. The name symbolizes his quest for knowledge and self-improvement. "I feel like I'm striving to be God like, to really deserve the attribute RAS KASS", he explains. "The name itself is a metaphor. I just see it as the transition from slave mentality to having knowledge of self, and that's what I'm striving for. I want perfection."

Since he's "never been fond of too much Gangsta shit", RAS KASS and crew have always come at unorthodox angles to bring some much needed excitement back to Los Angeles based rap. "My clique has always stepped to the plate with a different aura. Free thinkers are the ones who make contributions towards society's evolution. Everybody else in the rat race is just going by the rules. Those muthafuckas who always be saying 'why do I have to do this and how would it benefit me?' Maybe, even if it's on a small scale, my music can change things."

People talk about "coming next" all day, but RAS KASS, who considers himself a rapper's rapper, is one of those few people who can truly lay claim to that adjective. His similes, quite frankly, are explosive and cut right to the quick of any matter with an intensity that's lethal. His allusions are impressive enough, but it's his agile, buttery flow, the manner in which he grabs the mic that's even more staggering.

"I don't feel there's nothing wrong with grabbing your bozack and just skilling!" he explains. "Get niggaz open off some fly shit, I just figure with my music, in order to understand it, you have to have some Hip-Hop history, know a little bit about the West Coast, and just enough scholarly education to get you by. I try to use as wide a vocabulary as possible, because muthafucka be caught up in the same vernacular too much and after a while, it all begins to sound the same: "I get busy, I be doing this or I be doing that." If you want to elevate this art form, you got to come next. There's a lot of niggaz who can't grasp what I rap about, but in the long term niggaz is going to have to accept. They can't do nothing else."

Being accepted has perhaps been RAS KASS' hardest obstacle. The masses weren't ready when he first tried to come out. Before PatchWerk had the insight to sign an artist of Ras' caliber, no other record labels really checked for him. Because of his geographical location and the kind of flow he was coming with, a lot of people considered it too "weird", especially in an arena where Gangsta Funk reigns supreme. "My philosophy is just about being real", he explains about his steelo. "I couldn't do twelve songs about being in love with some female, just like I couldn't do a whole album about shootin' some niggaz up." Ras comes with a variety of things to talk about because life holds variety. "Sometimes I'm happy, somedays I'm sad, but no matter how I'm feeling whin I write, I strive to reflect that balance."

In the summer of 1994 RAS KASS made his wax debut with the single "Remain Anonymous b/w Won't Catch Me Runnin'" for PatchWerk Recordings. Released only in the Los Angeles area, the single eventually leaked out to find national acclaim and was soon proclaimed an "underground classic" (Urb magazine). Ras rose from obscurity to become by all means an "underground legend" (Source Magazine). He garnered further national attention when he was featured on the video and single "Come Widdit" off the STREET FIGHTER soundtrack. This earned him 'dopest rhyme of the month' accolades in The Source Magazine. He also received two 'dopes rhyme of the month' recognition in RapPages for "Remain Anonymous" and "Nature of the Threat".

In addition, Ras accumulated an unprecedented stack of exceptionally fat reviews and feature articles in virtually every major urban magazine from Canada to the United Kingdom, including two cover stories. this success led to several major labels vying for the opportunity to distribute the highly anticipated album. A victor emerged and the long-awaited debut SOUL ON ICE will be released this summer on PatchWerk/Priority. Several leading critics have already forecast Ras to be "the West Coast's next huge star".

SOUL ON ICE, next beats, rhymes, and all that good stuff, is a long look inside the heart of a Hip-Hop fanatic. While, of course, bills have to be paid, Ras didn't step on stage as a means to line his pockets. The music gives him peace of mind, a means to express himself that gives his life position and meaning. That's the only thing people rap, "I'm signifying for the West Coast in particular, Hip-Hop in general." Ras concludes, "Maybe one day KRS-One will say "that nigga Ras is dope." And that would be it. If my shit was over after that, I wouldn't really even care. I just want people to know I got skills." There's no stopping one who's time has come to pass. RAS KASS, the past, the present, and the future of Real Hip-Hop. Strictly Representing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The R in RB.Com
    Battle Record
    5-1
    Can someone please do a review on 'Soul On Ice'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nice interview. Ras is dope, one of my favorite Emcee's.

Battle Record
    1-1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Realist
    Can someone please do a review on 'Soul On Ice'

im about too

yeah hes one of my fav .
    please vote on this battle..uppin..

chino fans peep.

You've Earned a Custom Title!
    on of the best doing it, point blank

Battle Record
    1-3
    Awards Haiku Season Champion
    *so hyped for what Ras will drop since he has finally been released*
    can I kick it?

Artilleries
    In last month's edition of "Who the Hell Am I", I made the statements above and never realized how much mail I would get about these statements. Some agreed with me, while others did not. But it got my gears turning and I thought "What is the criteria that makes an emcee the Greatest of All Time?" For years and years we argue about the greatest albums of all time, the greatest emcees of all time, the greatest producers of all time. Blah, blah, blah. But no argument carries as much weight as who is the greatest emcee of all time? Well kids, I pondered and argued. Tossed and turned. Thought about every email I got and still stand by my statement that Tupac was the greatest figure ever in hip-hop but is not in my top ten greatest EMCEES of all time. Hell... Notorious B.I.G. has a hard time making it in there (and that is because of lack of material and never fully reaching his potential or having the opportunity to fall off). But let me explain my cause further.

http://www.qn5.com/pics/megashow-0705.jpg
    Saturday July 30th,2005 Qn5's Megashow
    Featuring Live Performances by:
    Ras Kass
    Cunninlynguists
    Tonedeff
    PackFM
    Mr. Mecca
    Session
    w/ Special Guests

MUSIC BY:
    The Halftime Show DJ's: Petey Cologne, DJ Skizz
    [WNYU 89.1FM - wnyu.org - Every Weds. @ 10:30pm]

VENUE INFO:
    @ BB Kings
    237 W. 42nd St. [Times Square]
    New York, NY 10036

ADMISSION:
    All Ages! // Doors @ 11 PM
    $22.50 (advance) & $25.00 (door)
    BUY TICKETS NOW @ BBKingBlues.com

FOR MORE DETAILS:
    jerseyroots.com, qn5.com, bbkingblues.com

doesnotexist
    Ras Kass is the chino xl of the west. Just as underrated and just as ill. One of my all time favorties for real.

Battle Record
    21-2
    ma man is dope good interview

You've Earned a Custom Title!
    Battle Record
    4-1
    Anybody know who's gonna be featured on his new cd with him?

Battle Record
    23-9
    ^nope and dat cat is ill but really underrated .. but soon he'll be a real big person in the industry
    Let The Pen Bleed So My Wrists Don't
    Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist

remogunz
    Dude is one of the illest shit on bars