User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 16 to 30 of 52

Thread: Run, Forrest, Run...you were meant to!!!

Battle Record
    3-1
    Christopher Black, I'm only telling you to open your eyes and don't be a dumbass.

That's not disagreeing with you.

That's telling you how to run your miserable pit of an existence you call life.

Listen... horses are big animals. They can run fast. Boom! Y'know that. But y'know what? They spend nearly all their time eating. Just to support their massive bodies.... they consume grass... grass isn't much. So they have to eat... A LOT!

Now... imagine a horse running. Considering it has to eat grass almost constantly, that does not leave a lot of leasiure time for things like... running.

A human though?

Fuck, I aint even physicly fit, but I can go a day or two with no food and no problems from it.

Now just imagine if a human was chasing down a horse?

A horse would have to stop.

A horse would quickly run out of energy.

A person would get tired too, sure.

But wouldn't have to eat for several hours.

Battle Record
    12-1
    NateSMZ: well i don't think they evolved at all - of course they laid traps, etc - that's easier - I'm just proving that it can be done
    My point. Humans didn't attempt to chase down horses, and yes, you showed me a case where a man beat a horse in a 22 mile race, but the horse has 130 pounds on it's back and was forced to run through watter, rocks and terrain that it wouldn't in a real chase.

The guy in the race did the 22 miles in 2 hours and five seconds.
    In the pony express, the horses ran 10-12 miles per hour with 120-130 ponds on their backs.

If this man was chasing a horse in the wild, minus the 130 pounds on it's back, the horse would be even faster and after two hours of chasing, the man would still be miles behind. Seriously, men are not built to chase horses.

Oh, and might I add, this was the first man to do it in the marathon and the speeds I put up are average horse speeds, so even the fastet man is miles behind and average horse after 2 hours.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    12-1
    Lich, do the math based on stats and numbers, not your flawed logic. How can you argue the numbers I just posted? An idiot is the man who argues with numbers.
    Last edited by Chris Black; November 18th, 2004 at 12:12 AM
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    I gave you many links to people out-running horses - additionally I pointed out that the humans extra weight is offset by the humans intelligence in directing the horse which way to run and keeping it at a steady pace - not to mention making it stop to rest when it needs to and feeding and watering it - which as I also pointed out, and Lichwise just mentioned - people can eat/drink on the move - horses can't

I'm not saying cavemen went around chasing horses down - laying traps, etc is easier - I'm saying it can be done - and the links I gave you prove that - also if a person can run a horse down - think about a cow, a sheep, etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    12-1
    Quote Originally Posted by SMZ
    additionally I pointed out that the humans extra weight is offset by the humans intelligence in directing the horse which way to run and keeping it at a steady pace - not to mention making it stop to rest when it needs to and feeding and watering it
    I don't think it's ofset but lets not argue that since neither of us have proven or disproven that.

The numbers show that the average horse beats the in shape human the vast majority of the time, yet sometimes a human will beat a horse, after 2+ hours of racing, and the horse having someone riding it.

This is the analogy I gave SMZ over aim...

"Euthanasias Kiss: You can say women are stronger than men and find 1000 cases where it's true, but the average dude is stronger.
    Euthanasias Kiss: 1000s, even 1,000,000s of cases are insignifigant when they are put against 6 billion."

Sooner or later cases will pop up when a human managed the great feat of beating a piloted horse, but that doesn't mean, an in shape human can go chase a horse and catch him.

We agree in the end that after 25 miles, it does get competative.

Quote Originally Posted by SMZ
    I'm not saying cavemen went around chasing horses down - laying traps, etc is easier
    Word. I thought you were trying to say Humans used to chase horses down. That's why I posted originally. S'all good, homie. I get you
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    http://www.arizonaroadracers.com/man...02_results.htm

the seven males in the fifty mile race all placed in under nine hours - that's faster than half of the horses - nine females finished in under ten hours - that's faster than a quarter of the horses

POINT: these horses were given food and water by their riders - how far do you think they would have gotten without that? after ten miles they would've dropped dead as I said before - I'm right - as always - to argue with me is a fruitless exercise

Word.

EDIT: and your analogy is flawed - because when I say the average fit human can run down the average fit horse - it's true - the horse will run - the horse will get hungry and thirsty - the horse will have no opportunity to satisfy said needs because every time it tries to stop to eat or drink it's going to smell you plodding closer and closer and it's going to have to start running again - it will then fall over exhausted and you would beat it
    Last edited by SMZ; November 18th, 2004 at 12:43 AM

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    3-1
    It's simple logic. A horse can go very far. Very fast. A person however, can go FARTHER, though not as fast.

Horses require almost an entire day of grass eating to fuel themselves. That does not leave a lot of room for running. If they were forced to, they'd run. But they would not keep it up for very long.

Christopher Black, to argue your numbers, is basicly they do not give complete data. Eventually there is a curve.

And indeed... there are cases where some women are stronger than some men. And vice versa. Just like there are plenty of cases of humans who have no chance against humans.

That's not the point.

The point is, it -is- possible for a human to rundown a horse.

The very fact that this has been done before should end the argument.

-MY- problem is the fact that I did not have to get involved in this at all whatsoever. Seriously. What the fuck am I doing? SMZ is clearly capable of taking care of himself in an argument. More than capable.

I guess when I see stupidity, it just sizzles my circuits. Even if someone else is doing it, I still get the urge to have to correct them.

Oh well. I beg the forgiveness of everyone in this thread. I must now take a step back, hike up into the himalyen mountains, and re-assess my meaning here on Earth.

(How is THAT for maturity, Opey?! WHAT? WHAT, BITCH?! WHAT?!)

Battle Record
    12-1
    Then we'll wake from SMZ's dream. Like I said. You were right. You found anomolies, but the average in shape guy can't do it. Trust me. I used to run up and down the court and play bball for hours, but once I hit that track, I wouldn't get more than a few miles, so you know I'm not running 25-30 chasing a horse. You found anomilies. Nothing more. Minus the pounds off the horses back and add the fact that's it's running for it's life. When it's out of sight, any man in his right mind will stop running. No sane man chases something he can't see for hours, and what makes you think a horse will get so thirsty and hungry. Horsed don't have to eat every hour. Blah. We'll never agree. :-(
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    12-1
    I already admitted that it can be done, and has been done, Lich. I also admitted that after 25 miles, a human may have a chance. My original argument was not about that though. It was that cavemen didn't run down horses, and that's fact.

You only entered this thread to argue with me. Go box with the numbers and quit stalking my posts.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    first of all you weren't in shape - in shape compared to most Americans does not = in shape. Anomilies?

Fact 1. There was a race.
    Fact 2. The human males beat half of the horses.

Conclusion: Humans can run down horses. How is that an anomaly?

I'm only saying this once more. Having a human on it's back enables it to run much farther than it normally could. Horses are stupid animals. When it get's out of sight it would stop for a few minutes and look around frantically. It would waste precious minutes stamping around in duress instead of immediatly chowing down. About the time it finally decides things are safe and it's ok to eat/drink - here you come trotting up. It has to run again. It consumes alot of energy for it to run. It can't do it for long without stopping to eat. We can go without food and water for a long time. Better yet we can carry food and water with us and eat/drink on the move. If a rider isn't there to feed the horse it wouldn't get on average more than 7-10 miles. If a rider isn't there to direct it the horse will waste energy sprinting and stopping - sprinting and stopping - rather than maintaining a steady trot.

We have intelligence - if I needed to chase down a horse for some reason I would not be confused when it left my sight. If I was a hunter I would follow it's trail and keep right on trotting. Also the horse wouldn't be out of sight for hours. As I mentioned without human direction it isn't going to keep running. It's going to sprint - look around nervously - start to settle - and sprint again. Over and over until it falls down from exhausation.

What makes me think a horse would get hungry and thirsty?

hmm... maybe the fact that it would be running for it's life...

Horses do have to eat every hour. They spend most of their life nosing around for things to eat and laying down to rest. You make them start running for any long period of time - they will get exhausted.

Your concept of horses springs from watching TV and viewing movies. That is Hollywood. Your Pony Express example shows horses with human guidance going between 10-15 miles before needing to stop. You point out that they were going about 10 miles per hour. A horses top speed is near fifty miles per hour. They can sustain around 35-40 miles per hour for a mile. What do you think would happen when you start chasing a horse? It's going to trot off at ten miles per hour? How bout when you start shooting arrows at it it's going to run as fast as it can.

Now use some logic. Which is more tiring - trotting for a mile - or sprinting a hundred yard dash? About the same. If that horse runs at top speed it will tire much quicker than 10-15 miles. AS I SAID 7-10 miles tops. Now just admit I'm right dammit.

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    12-1
    Logic: No caveman ever chased a horse who bursted off at 45 mph. Why? Cause he's smart. Period. Humans wont chase an animal that fast. after the first minute, the horse is a mile away. Men don't chase things they don't see.

Cavemen were smart enought to outthink animals. The article says we're evolved to chase. I simply disagreed. Then comes a huge horse argument. To get to the original topics, were not built to chase down wild animals. We're built to outsmart them.
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    7-1
    me > horse

word son..

Battle Record
    5-2
    We run because there is cops.

Battle Record
    7-1
    Quote Originally Posted by Savir.
    We run because there is cops.
    or shit to steal..

Battle Record
    3-0
    Awards WOP Champion
    Johovas witnesses can make the claim that our design was meant for us to get out and spread Gods word over long distances. But you don't see me slapping anyone with a watchtower now do you!