User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: Run, Forrest, Run...you were meant to!!!

Battle Record
    212-103
    Awards LLL Season Champion LLL HOF 200+ Wins

Run, Forrest, Run...you were meant to!!!

Humans Were Born to Run, Scientists Say

Science - Reuters

By Patricia Reaney

LONDON (Reuters) - Humans were born to run and evolved from ape-like creatures into the way they look today probably because of the need to cover long distances and compete for food, scientists said on Wednesday.

From tendons and ligaments in the legs and feet that act like springs and skull features that help prevent overheating, to well-defined buttocks that stabilize the body, the human anatomy is shaped for running.

"We do it because we are good at it. We enjoy it and we have all kinds of specializations that permit us to run well," said Daniel Lieberman, a professor of anthropology at Harvard University in Massachusetts.

"There are all kinds of features that we see in the human body that are critical for running," he told Reuters.

Lieberman and Dennis Bramble, a biology professor at the University of Utah, studied more than two dozen traits that increase humans' ability to run. Their research is reported in the science journal Nature.

They suspect modern humans evolved from their ape-like ancestors about 2 million years ago so they could hunt and scavenge for food over large distances.

But the development of physical features that enabled humans to run entailed a trade-off -- the loss of traits that were useful for climbing trees.

"We are very confident that strong selection for running -- which came at the expense of the historical ability to live in trees -- was instrumental in the origin of the modern human body form," Bramble said in a statement.

The conventional theory is that running was a by-product of bipedalism, or the ability to walk upright on two legs, that evolved in ape-like human ancestors called Australopithecus at least 4.5 million years ago.

But Lieberman and Bramble argue that it took a few million more years for the running physique to evolve, so the ability to walk cannot explain the transition.

"There were 2.5 million to 3 million years of bipedal walking without ever looking like a human, so is walking going to be what suddenly transforms the hominid body?" said Bramble.

"We're saying 'no, walking won't do that, but running will."'

If natural selection did not favor running, the scientists believe humans would still look a lot like apes.

"Running has substantially shaped human evolution. Running made us human -- at least in the anatomical sense," Bramble added.

Among the features that set humans apart from apes to make them good runners are longer legs to take longer strides, shorter forearms to enable the upper body to counterbalance the lower half during running and larger disks which allow for better shock absorption.

Big buttocks are also important.

"Have you ever looked at an ape? They have no buns," said Bramble.

Humans lean forward when they run and the buttocks "keep you from pitching over on your nose each time a foot hits the ground," he added.

If this is true...then why...
    Do humans get outrun by just about EVERY other animal on earth?
    I'm curious???

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    cause we're using two legs while most of them are using four... however our running is not so much the burst of speed we're capable of but the length of time we can keep running...

think of wolves and other dog like creatures - many times they don't catch their prey with a burst of speed (ie: tigers, etc) but by the simple measure of continuing to chase their prey until it falls over from exhaustion - we can do the same thing...

a human in good physical condition (ie: none of us) can run a horse down - the horse will run off and leave the person in the dust for a short distance - but then it will stop to rest - and if you keep loping along eventually you will catch up to it - whereupon it will dash off again - however it will run out of the energy needed to dash away long before you run out of the energy needed to continue chasing it - then you stab it and eat horse burgers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm dead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    12-1
    Quote Originally Posted by SMZ
    a human in good physical condition (ie: none of us) can run a horse down - the horse will run off and leave the person in the dust for a short distance - but then it will stop to rest - and if you keep loping along eventually you will catch up to it - whereupon it will dash off again - however it will run out of the energy needed to dash away long before you run out of the energy needed to continue chasing it - then you stab it and eat horse burgers...
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to stop you there. No man is running down a horse. Humans rode horses, not because they're slower than us, but because they are faster and can keep up a nice pace over long distances. The only thing a human can chase down is a cat, if he's lucky. Maybe a turkey. Humans are not fast compared to the animal kingdom and most animals can outrun us. We have a brain for hunting though. We out-think other animals, not out-run them
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    18-0
    Awards 25+ Wins
    exactly wut i was thinking throughout the whole article BTK

flump
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Black
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to stop you there. No man is running down a horse. Humans rode horses, not because they're slower than us, but because they are faster and can keep up a nice pace over long distances. The only thing a human can chase down is a cat, if he's lucky. Maybe a turkey. Humans are not fast compared to the animal kingdom and most animals can outrun us. We have a brain for hunting though. We out-think other animals, not out-run them
    word i agree. plus the animals that do use two legs still merk us in running

I outran this dog once. Thats when I can semi-run, when im gettin chased. Damn chiuahuah's...
    [YOUTUBE]M6oovFB12i8[/YOUTUBE]

Merk Squad
    Battle Record
    52-32
    Awards Legendary Battle Haymaker Maddnes Champion - HM 3 winner 50+ Wins Legendary Member OM HOF LLL Champion LLL Season Champion LLL HOF
    if anything, the running would have been to hide. If we can get to a small hiding space faster, we have a good chance of a predator moving on to the next, more accessible, prey.

Battle Record
    3-1
    Christopher Black, re-read what he said and try to actually not skip over any important details.

As for this thread... WHAT THE FUCK? You needed fucking scientific studies to show you this?

May as well blow a billion dollars on scientific studies showing that we have eyes for the specific purpose of seeing things.

Seriously. I swear. Kids these days. Need to be taught you have to eat soup with a spoon.

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    No people rode horses cause people are lazy. Who wants to run all the time? Especially when sitting on your ass all day and eating pastries is so much fun? Guess what - if you're not in peak condition running doesn't work very well. You get sweaty and dirty, you're tired when you finish.

Trust me on this - take this definition of a horse race:
    Flat races are contests of speed between two or more saddle horses, generally Thoroughbreds, ridden by jockeys on specially built tracks over distances ranging from 440 yd to 1 mi.
    Do you see that? 1 mile. Guess how long a marathon is? Over 25 miles. See the difference? Like I said - most animals can outrun us over short distances. However we can keep running longer than they can. I'm not going to insult you cause you're crew and in my sig and whatnot. But please, don't try to make fun of me - it will only rebound in your face.

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    7-1
    well im in very good condition and run everyday and have been doing so for the past 4 years regardless of sickness or weather i still run EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY....its like therapy...i do belive i could outlast a horse ina marathon race....and i CAN outran most dogs and cats going ina straight line ( those dodgy muthafuckas only look fast cause they got fast reflexes to sprint away but lose speed quickly)...i can also rundown your local crackhead...the craftiest and speedy-est of them all...

as for this article and there findings = shit...i dont think so...cause if you think bout it if we really were supposed to evole for running so we could rundown our food wouldint we have wider feet and less toes to install better balance?..claws perhaps or even stronger/longer arms to grab at the "food"...too many unanswerd questions imo

Battle Record
    12-1
    Flat races are contests of speed between two or more saddle horses, generally Thoroughbreds, ridden by jockeys on specially built tracks over distances ranging from 440 yd to 1 mi.
    What you fail to realize is that the horses or going at almost full speed for the mile with 115 pounds on their backs, and would be 3/4 of a mile away, before a human made 1/4 of the way. Which means, the horse would be well out of site after a couple minutes. MAN CAN”T RUN DOWN A HORSE. Especially when a human wouldn’t see a horse in sight after the first couple minutes.

SMZ, horses can run for hours at a time, at a faster pace than humans. Even if a human could keep a running horse in sight infinitely, and joged for 8 hours, he won't catch a damn horse on foot. If you've ever taken a class on things like this, you'll realize that humans never chased down prey. Humans used their brains to sneak up on prey, or lay in wait and ambush, or set traps, or bait prey etc. Humans outsmarted the animal kingdom. You'll never hear a scientist talk about how early man ran down horses and antelope. Period.

Lich, It’s clear that you disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing, so I won’t waste time with you.
    Last edited by Chris Black; November 17th, 2004 at 11:35 PM
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    7-1
    What you fail to realize is that the horses or going at almost full speed for the mile with 115 pounds on their backs, and would be 3/4 of a mile away, before a human made 1/4 of the way. Which means, the horse would be well out of site after a couple minutes. MAN CAN”T RUN DOWN A HORSE. Especially when a human wouldn’t see a horse in sight after the first couple minutes.

SMZ, horses can run for hours at a time, at a faster pace than humans. Even if a human could keep a running horse in sight infinitely, and joged for 8 hours, he won't catch a damn horse on foot. If you've ever taken a class on things like this, you'll realize that humans never chased down prey. Humans used their brains to sneak up on prey, or lay in wait and ambush, or set traps, or bait prey etc. Humans outsmarted the animal kingdom. You'll never hear a scientist talk about how early man ran down horses and antelope. Period.

Lich, It’s clear that you disagree with me for the sake of disagreeing, so I won’t waste time with you.

smart cave man = fat lazy fuck, but gets all the bitches cause he gets the food

dumb cave man = physically fit from running like a crack head and gets all the bitches cause of it..

damn what a choice

Battle Record
    12-1
    Lol. I'm the smart lazy caveman who works 5 hours a week and gets all the pussy, while other niggas trying to run shit down. ;-)
    Hence Forward
    axis powers

Battle Record
    6-3
    Awards WOP Champion
    < made Wicked admit he was wrong over AIM - just look up "man vs horse" you'll see plenty of examples of humans outrunning horses - as the distances increase so does the likelihood of the human winning

I'm dead.

Hence Forward

Battle Record
    212-103
    Awards LLL Season Champion LLL HOF 200+ Wins
    Well, the only way to prove it...

Is to find RB's fittest...

And a horse...

And let em go at it.

Don't take that last line the wrong way!