Thread: Yukmouth - Godzilla

Jackalope Style

Yukmouth - Godzilla

Yukmouth "Godzilla"
    Rap-A-Lot/J-Prince Entertainment
    Executive Producer: J-Prince
    Reviewed By Jackalope Style

1) GODZILLA
    The song starts off with radio dialing past different stations and a Japanese man warning of a Godzilla spotting near California. The bassline kicks in and Yukmouth's newly reborn mellow flow comes in over the track. Yuk raps pretty slowly and mellow on the hook on this slow paced song. A few Godzilla noises here and there, and basically the song is about having all your shit, like your own house, cars, ice etc. and what makes you a Godzilla. I was feelin this track alot, a good one to start the album off with.

2) MONEY & POWER
    This song starts off with some wavey noises on the synth and a small sample from Scarface. Another slowpaced track. Nothing on this track stood out to me, after hearing the album over 10+ times now it hasn't grown on me or stood out at all. Average at best.

3) NOTHIN 2 A BOSS feat. Benjilino
    One of my favorites on the cd. Yuk starts it off by shutting down the talk about the West bein dead. Pretty complex beat with Benjilino singing on the hook.

4) REGIME MOBSTAZ feat. Tech N9ne, LQ, Gonzoe, Dorasel, Monsta Gonjah & Glen Rice
    A banger. The beat makes this track sound like an anthem, out of a symphony. Tech N9ne kicks it off. Krizz Kaliko is on the hook giving the song an eerie feel with his chants. It's dope, good luck finding it on Kazaa!

5) STUNTASTIC
    A suprising change from the usual West Coast-style Yukmouth. A track about stuntin' clothes, cars, ice, etc. With the beat to match. Sounds like some down south Mannie Fresh/Baby shit. I was feeling this track even though its something different coming from Yuk.

6) PIMP DA BITCH feat. Dru Down & B-Legit
    Mellow song about pimpin, with Deidre Selene on the hook. Dru Down comes in to top it all off with his pimpish flow. B-Legit delivers his deep flow as usual.

7) DO MY THANG feat. Kurupt, Roscoe & Val Young
    A symphony vibed track with Val Young on the hook. Violins and guitars are all over the song. Kurupt kicks it off dissing Snoop Dogg, with a quick appearance by Tri-Star. Roscoe also spits on this track followed by Yukmouth. One of the best songs on the album

8)KIDNAP U feat. Nyce & WHo'z Who
    Another surprise from Yukmouth. A love song which is not usual from the thugged out Yukmouth, but an experiment successfully pulled off. The beat is mellow, full of tamborines and claps. Nyce spits on this track also, seemingly trying to imitate the flow of Foxy Brown or Lil Kim with her word pronunciations, and talking about name brand clothes and purses.

9) SOMEBODY GONE DIE 2 NITE feat. Tech N9ne, Hussein Fatal, Benjilino & The Realest
    A very tight 2Pac dedication track. This samples "When We Ride" from 2Pac's All Eyez On Me. Singing on the hook. The guest lineup up includes Tech N9ne on the beginning, coming with a "mothafucka" rhyme scheme. Fatal also surprisingly comes into the song, although not originally there recording the track. Yukmouth follows after the hook, with his usual Master P bashing, and pointing out the clones on his record label. The Realest ends off the track warning 2Pac imitators to do their own thing and to recognize the real in the game.

10) YA BOY feat. Devin The Dude & Ampichino
    A Piano filled track, Mike Dean successfully delivers another Yuk collabo. Ampachino comes in with his stuffy flow, followed by Yuk. Devin the Dude makes an appearance with his laid back, almost talked flow. A solid track.

11) I WANT YA BODY feat. Aaron Hall
    A latin influenced track. With signer Aaron Hall on the hook. I wasn't feeling this one at all....way out of Yukmouth's style to do a track like this. Experimental again, but in my opinion too radio-influenced.

12)THUG LORDZ feat. C-Bo
    Another heavy Piano ridden track. Simple but hits hard. C-bo kicks it off by mimicking a few of 50 Cent's lyrics and then proceeding to diss him, calling him a snitch. Yukmouth then follows, seemingly also dissing 50 Cent, yet not naming any names like Bo did. A track that will stir controversy but a reply is probably not coming in the near future. A good collabo from the Thug Lordz that makes you anticipate their group album.

13) BE EASY feat. Gangsta Girl & Ray-J
    An arabian-vibed song sampled with alot of drums on the beat. Ray-J is on the hook and Gangsta Girl, the rasta influenced female rapper spits some shit on here as well. The sample works well, and Yuk rides the beat with his mellow flow.

14) WHAT IT DO feat. E-Roc & Bun-B
    A loud Diry South-type anthem with loud chants by E-Roc. I wasn't feeling this one too much because there are way better songs with a similar soundout there. Although Yuk's rugged flow almost sounds refreshing to hear since his style is mostly mellow on the whole album. Bun B ends off the track with his unique southern flow.

15) GO HARD feat. The Fleet & Ampichino
    Solid track, same type of anthem vibe that Regime Mobstaz has. The Fleet spits their Southern style on this track, one of my favorites.

16)DO IT B.I.
    Sounds like an East Coast sample. Average track. Pretty fast paced.

17) MODEL CHICKZ
    A song about model chicks, where Yuk tells a story of scandalous chicks who fuck people for their advantages. I liked the effect added to Yuk's voice on the hook. Flutes and snares mainly make up this track, I was feeling this one.

18)HARD TYMEZ feat. Z-Ro & Trae of Guerilla Maab
    The soft song of the album. Z-Ro with his deep and word-accented flow and Trae of Guerilla Maab flow on the track, with Tanya Herron's shaky vocals on the hook. I don't think the beat matched the concept of the song, it was too fast of a tempo.

OVERALL VERDICT: A real solid album. Good guest appearances althought he could have done without a few of them. Yukmouth once again comes with a good record, with a different sound to it. None of Yuk's albums have sounded similar so far. It was apparent that Yuk was goin for a more mainstream sound on this CD, with latin, "punjabi," and R&B type songs on the CD. Although 4-5 songs could have been scrapped making this a straight out banger, it is another successful West Coast album, most likely to be slept on.

Final Rating [8 out of 10]

You've Earned a Custom Title! RapidFire's Avatar
    Battle Record
    6-0
    I've only heard yukmouth once..and that was on a track with Brotha Lynch Hung...he's pretty sicc tho from what I've heard...I'll prolly download some of his songs on kazaa THEN buy the album if I like it...good review tho...+ tech's on his cd and tech's the shit lol....

peace
    I.J.L.