User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Bush wants more money for Iraq

You've Earned a Custom Title!

Bush wants more money for Iraq

Bush asks for $25 billion more for Iraq, Afghanistan
    Wednesday, May 5, 2004 Posted: 5:42 PM EDT (2142 GMT)

The White House had hoped to avoid asking for more money for Iraq until after the November election.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Calling it a "high priority," President Bush on Wednesday asked Congress for an additional $25 billion to cover military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"While we do not know the precise costs for operations next year, recent developments on the ground and increased demands on our troops indicate the need to plan for contingencies," Bush said in a written statement released by the White House. "We must make sure there is no disruption in funding and resources for our troops.

Bush Budget Director Josh Bolten and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz went to Capitol Hill for an afternoon meeting with senior GOP leaders. They included House Speaker Dennis Hastert of Illinois; Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee, and Sens. Ted Stevens of Alaska and John Warner of Virginia -- the chairmen of the Appropriations and Armed Services committees, congressional and administration sources said.

"$25 billion will not be enough," said House Appropriations Committee Chairman Bill Young, R-Florida, after the meeting.

Young said the money is needed because additional troops are being deployed, many of whom are Reserve or National Guard troops who will start getting full-time pay. He said he expects the White House to ask for more money early next year but said he didn't know how much.

Rep. Tom DeLay, R-Texas, the House majority leader, said he expects Congress to easily approve the funds.

"This is not money for Iraq," he said. "This is money for our troops. No one is going to have a problem with that."

One administration official described the White House request as a "modest adjustment" to the Pentagon budget and added that "there is still work to be done on the long-term assessment of what will be needed into next year."

In his statement, Bush described the $25 billion as a "contingency reserve fund" that would be used to "meet all commitments to our troops."

"I have pledged to our troops that they will have all the resources they need to get the job done, and I look forward to working with Congress on this high priority," Bush said.

Bush said he would pursue a full supplemental request for the 2005 fiscal year "when we can better estimate precise costs."

The administration had previously indicated it hoped to wait until after the November election to request any additional money for Iraq and Afghanistan, but in recent weeks officials have conceded costs have been higher than expected.

In part, the rise is to due to higher troop levels in Iraq and the costs of increased military activity in response to the insurgency there.

Democrats have accused the administration of not committing to firm numbers about military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan because, they say, the cost could bother some voters

Battle Record
    2-12
    does bush ever stop?
    he should just stop the war!
    i dont even know why they are still over there
    i thought they were just over there to look for weapons of mass destruction, no its starting to get bloody, everyone is starting to see the true face of war

?
    ORIGINAL BADASS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

April was the bloodiest month for American soldiers by far

Banned
    Battle Record
    15-8
    Bush is a dush bagg and is gunna fuck this world all up.
    i hate when people do stupid shit

Battle Record
    30-3
    interesting....

You've Earned a Custom Title! Blitzkrieger's Avatar
    Battle Record
    3-18
    tisk tisk...

its not Bush you guys...

do you honestly think Bush could make decisions on his own? No.

People make those for him. Cheney runs america more than Bush does. Then it goes down and down. Bush is just the image, although he has say in what goes on and he does speeches.

Neither Kerry nor Bush, will be good leaders in the years to come.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

is gonna win RTM
    Battle Record
    3-2
    he tryna get that oil *cough hoil cough*
    All.For.Paper.
    Under The Influence, TBD

doesnotexist
    Ok now the people who were saying hes so good and such a saint and wants to liberate this and that blah blah a year ago finally see they were fuckin wrong. I mean we all knew hed fuck shit up. More soldiers die now then during the actual war lol

Battle Record
    31-2
    my friends platoon is being made by bush to stay there
    they been most in combat and i think he saying that thats
    why they should stay because their most expirenced.
    its fucked up.

Battle Record
    5-3
    fuck bush
    Welcome to reality.

BFire
    yes, he is a stupid man

Slo Flow
    Bush sucks, whos kerry, no ones gonna like any president

Ill..
    i feel U.S tax prices going up

Knightmare
    geez, u'd think the bastard would already have enuf

fuck the war, look at other matters that are local, like health n education

he's the president of the united states, but only 5% of his time is spent focusing on the USA

Battle Record
    3-0
    bush is a fuckin idiot